Single parenting is hard, really hard for me.
It's hard because other then when I am work, we almost never get a break from each other. And that isn't good because when I am home I need to do laundry and cook meals and do house repairs and pay bills. I can't play with her constantly. But if I'm not doing that she's upset. And if I am playing with her constantly then I'm upset. I can either throw all of my responsibilities aside and interact with her each evening or I can run a household. But I can't seem to manage to do both.
I can either have a happy child or run a smooth household. I can either engage fully with my daughter in the evenings or have nutritious meals, a clean home and pay the bills on time. But if she is happy I am not because we are eating crap, the house is a mess and I am extremely stressed out because something very important isn't getting done.
I hate to admit it but I don't do single parenting very well. My priority has been Almi but I came to realize in the last couple of months that some drastic changes would have to happen because I must attend to myself and I must run a household and on a teachers salary with no support it just wasn't happening. My house is a wreck, the bills are paid late, I can't get to the gym, my friendships are suffering, my hobbies are being neglected, I rarely go out, I'm tired, I'm stressed out... this isn't living. It's not the life I want to live nor the life I want my daughter to experience!
So I started looking at my options:
I could drastically declutter and downsize.
I could get a second job.
I could sell my house.
I could share housing with a friend.
I could play the lottery regularly.
I could move to be closer to family.
I could move in with family.
I could look for a higher paying job.
I could move to a city where my money would go further.
Well, something panned out. I will share more in the coming months but suffice it to say we will be making a drastic change, one that I believe will be very good for our family. It will allow me to have more quality time with my daughter. It will allow me to have more time for me. It will allow me to save some money. It will add to our life story. Home cooked meals and a clean house are going to be possible. It's huge and scary and overwhelming and exciting but I am going to face my fears and step out on faith and make the change. For her. For me. For us. And I think that will be good.
3.08.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
Ugh, I am in exactly the same place. Thanks for posting that list, it's really been feeling lately like I have no options to get out of the mess I'm in, but you make it seem like there are plenty of options if I just open my mind a little more!
Can't wait to hear more about your big change, it sounds exciting!
Hello with the bills most banks have a feature where you can set up auto pay. The bank sends the check to whatever bill company and it will be paid on time. Next the cleaning, you both have to do it together. It starts when they are this age they learn how to clean. You can make it a game. Have one night maybe every other week to yourself. Then that way yall both get a break. If any of your friends have children old enough to babysit that would be great. If not then there are always a few teens at church that would be willing to make a few bucks. It is a hard life but just stay strong. I know you can do it. I am doing it and I know my children will turn out just fine and so will yours. Be Blessed and hang in there. Dootaboot
And you're going to wait a couple of months to tell us the news? So not fair. Spill the beans already!
Can't wait to hear the news! You have empathy here, yep. Something is always left undone. Add to it the sleep issues the little dude is having and wow... no time for momma!
Wonderful, and congratulations! Parenting is so difficult and single parenting must be more so. We are going through a similar time. Just sold our house! Yikes. Terrifying is what it is but I know it's right for some of the reasons you mentioned.
Can't wait to see what comes next!
Wow -- where are you going?!
Such suspense!!! We're anxiously waiting:) Good luck
I am also a single parent and feel many of the things you are feeling and having many of the same struggles. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have planned! Also, I would add, cut yourself a little slack. You're doing a great job and there is NO perfection in parenting.
OMG, I can SOOOO relate to this. I can't wait to hear your announcement.
For me, I find the single parenting not hard - it's the WORKING single parenting that sucks big time.
I'm contemplating a couple of things on your list as well. I don't want to go through life just making it and having no quality with Biset.
Hugs to you, my friend.
Can't wait to see where faith is taking you!!!! PS....a messy home is a loving home!
Can't wait to hear more. And...on the post about your daughter's teacher's comments. I find that sometimes people make those comments to make themselves feel authoritive. I would never tell her of your struggles and instead give her suggestions. :) Seriously the 2's are hard. Hang in there. I just keep telling myself that this too shall pass.
Becky
Post a Comment