We celebrated our first Almi Day on Tuesday. Like many, I really do not like calling it "Gotcha Day" and like many I think it's a bit bittersweet to call it a celebration, but it is a special day for us because it's the day we became a family. Yes, us becoming a family means that her first family suffered a loss. This is true. But I think it's ok to celebrate that she has another family who loves her and cares for her.
While she was still at daycare I bought a cake and a balloon and set the table for our special Ethiopian dinner. Then I wrapped her gifts, these three twine animals I bought while in Addis.
She already had three so now it's a complete set. My plan is to give her gifts I purchased in Ethiopia every Almi Day until she's 18, but I am not sure I got enough. All that means is I have to go back!
I also placed these butterfly sticker decals over her crib.
I went and got her from school and brought her home. The balloon was the first thing she spotted and she ran over to it yellling, "Moon! Moon!" She asked me to tie it to her chair. All day I had been saying, "It's Almi Day! It's Almi Day!" but she was sure it was her birthday and asked me for cake. "Bir-day cake?! Mommy. I wan bir-day cake." LOL
She was mad that I told her she had to eat dinner first and threw a mini tantrum.
When it was time for cake I lit a candle for her to blow out.
The best part of the whole day for her was the cake! She was soo excited and so happy... especially when she thought the whole thing was for her!
The two pieces I gave her brought the most incredible smile to her face!! I mean, seriously, will you look at her? She was ecstatic!!!! I wish there was something other than sugar that would make her this happy!
After dinner, she played with her balloon and watched Elmo. She loved that balloon so much she even brought it into the tub with her for her bubble bath! LOL
When it was time to go to bed she saw the butterflies over her crib. She thought they were pretty.
It was a nice low key, intimate family celebration with just me and my girl. And that was just perfect because that's all we needed to recognize that we're a family. Love ya, baby girl!




7 comments:
Oh, this is such a beautiful tender sweet meaning-filled celebration of family --yours and Almi's --it will be a precious annual gem...to keep remembering ...loved it! m
sounds like a beautiful day!
How perfect!
How nice! Happy Almi Day to the both of your!
That was so sweeet. What a nice way to celebrate. I especially like the idea about remembering her other family. I think that is really important. I bake a cake for Senait's birthday and we say a special prayer for her mother.
Sounds beautiful.
May you enjoy many more family days.
Sen :)
Happy belated Almi Day!!!
Post a Comment