No, actually I'm just too busy to get upset.
My daughter's teacher has said a few things to me that could cut you like a knife if you were the sensitive type. OK, I am totally and overwhelmingly the sensitive type so it's clear that I'm just be too busy to think much about it.
You know how she spent the night at her house a couple of weeks ago? Well we are planning for another overnight next weekend so she and I have been preparing Almi. Not that she needs it cause she had a grand old time. Ms. E keeps asking her, "You want to go to Ms. E's house?" to remind her how she went before. Well, the other day when I was dropping her off Ms. E said to me with a chuckle, "I asked Naomi, 'You want to go home with Mommy or Ms. E?' and I couldn't believe it she said Ms. E!" Ouch, I thought but I kind of laughed along with her and said something like, "Good, let me know when!" Later on that day it started to bother me. Chalk it up to the insecurities you get with having an adopted child. Gosh, is she happier hanging out with Ethiopian people instead of home with me? Am I not a fun enough Mommy? Am I too hard on her? Are we not doing enough fun things? Is she having attachment issues? Or the dreaded thought that you can't keep from thinking, Does she not love me? Those flippant comments can really eat you up!!
But then I started thinking about it more. Of course she wants to go back! Ms. E and her extended family gave her all the milk and crackers and juice that she wanted. Ms. E's niece was there and the two of played and played and played some more. She didn't go to bed until 11:30! Ms. E wasn't laundry, washing dishes, making Almi wait around for dinner to be prepared, etc. She was just one of many adults around and Almi had a playmate so she was constantly entertained. (Oh, and I forgot this tidbit which stung at the time: When I picked her up after that overnight, Ms. E said, "When she woke up in the morning she did not ask for you, not one time. And when I asked her if she wanted to call you she said, 'No!' I couldn't believe that little girl.)
When she made the same comment as above the other day I was totally fine with it and I fully meant when I said, "Great! Let's plan another overnight visit!!" I'm happy that Almi is happy there. Ms. E treats her like family and we are very blessed to have her for a teacher.
Meanwhile, though, this other comment she said didn't roll off my back so quickly. I have been having difficulty with Almi's behavior. I haven't blogged about it too much because I am not sure if it is typical two year old behavior or is it just her personality. I also wonder if it's a result of my parenting or does it stem from her diet, vaccinations or antibiotics. But suffice it to say that she can be difficult with a capital D. It pretty much started this summer when she turned two. Before that she was the sweetest, most compliant baby. She was so happy all the time so I initially chalked up the radical change to her being in the terrible twos. But, again, when you are an adoptive parent so many other things creep into your mind. Are these behaviors due to attachment issues? Is she grieving? And then add to that my growing knowledge of nutrition and wellness, well I don't know if her acting out is related to other outside factors. Man, did I cause this? Should I have said no to antibiotics for her ear infections? Should I have held my ground and not vaccinated her? Am I feeding her the wrong things? Parenting is the most guilt inducing and producing profession, I am sure of that!!!
So, I picked her up the other day and Ms. E says, "I don't know what's going on with your child." Ugh. No parent wants to hear those words. "She comes in and won't say hi or smile to nobody. Everybody say, 'Good morning Naomi' and she won't say hello and looks so angry." Well, she's right about that and it bothers me to no end! I know she's only two but it is impolite. But it's also not something that children often do. I know some kids come in to class in a bad mood for whatever reason and take a while to warm up, but Almi will be fine in the car going over there but as soon as she walks in the door she gets grouchy and won't speak. It drives me crazy! And she knows it drives us crazy so she continues to do it.
But the comment really hurt me because I take it personally, like I am not raising a happy child or I am raising an impolite child.
And then she went on. "And she won't listen. All day long she tell us no. (preaching to the choir, sister) When she gets up from her nap we tell her to go potty and she says no and cries and cries. When we tell her to clean up she cries." She gave another example or two and then gave me with a confused and frustrated look.
I didn't know what to tell her because she can be that way at home as well. When she gets up in the morning she refuses to go potty. She can wake up dry and it's still a battle sometimes to get her to go to the bathroom before we go to school. Same with getting dressed. She is just oppositional for no apparent reason. This morning she was in time out because she was screaming and fighting me to not take off her pajamas. I am getting better at reasoning with her now that she has more language. I can tell her as she's fighting me about putting on her coat at day care pick up that she won't get any books at bedtime if she continues and she will acquiesce. And I have just started to be able to use a two minute warning so she knows what's to come. Like "Almi, two more minutes of Elmo and then Mommy's going to turn off the TV" and that is helping.
But the daily battles to get dressed, go potty, not run down the street when getting in and out of the car, hold my hand in a parking lot, eat certain foods, let me brush her teeth, etc. are frustrating. Luckily there are certain things she rarely fights me on. Those include putting on the clothes I choose, taking a bath, and going to sleep once I shut the door and walk away. So I can't complain too much.
But when the teacher attributes it to something being wrong with my child, well I can't lie. That cuts to the bone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
wow...first thing, I would tell the teacher she SHOULD NEVER ask Almi which home she would wants to go to!! ESPECIALLY a child that may not fully understand due to attachment.
B ALWAYS enjoys staying the night with other people more than me...and I have accredited it to: the extra junk food, staying up late, and of course they are not getting disciplined there. SOMETHING WE THE PARENT MUST DO.
As for the behavior at school...it could be lots of things...including the feeling that you are leaving her, especially since the teachers are asking her where she would rather be.
B has had some "odd" behaviors at school too- and they are almost ALWAYS around the time we have done something different (staying the night somewhere else, playing with someone new....etc)
SHE LOVES YOU!! :-) Hang in there! We knew this wouldn't always be Roses ;-)
much to say. i'll try to write more today. maybe we can meet up this weekend sometime?? we need to be out and about because the house is listed now.
You just described my lil momma! What really gets me is when people make the comment "Oh you're too pretty to be acting that way" It's like a special signal for her to cry louder :) I read a book called Raising your spirited child: A guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persisitent, energetic. It gave me great insight to my lil momma's behavior and totally validated me as a good momma.
IMHO her teacher is being rather insensitive. She has to remember that Almi is an individual and her behaviour is nothing short of normal toddler behaviour. My daughter 26 months is the same hates going to nursery and will not speak to any for the first hour or until she is ready. I have just accepted it has her habit and will not compare her.
I have friends who have a fun household and when we visit it is nightmare for my daugtet to leave. I think this isn't attachment but because she has a fun time and is spoilt .
Mrs E is comparing Almi to children raised in Ethopia.
Dont beat yourself up, you have and will continue doing a fabulous job with Almi.
Oh -- I have lots to say about this post! Unfortunately I have to go pick up my own little bugaboo. Later...
Stefanie
I read your post thinking -- how dangerous of Ms. E to say those things to a child with possible attachment issues. I saw myself and my child in your post. It makes me anxious.
My son was like that too from about 2 to 4 and still reverts back sometimes. We did a sticker chart with tickets that he could earn for rewards. He would earn a ticket for saying hello, going in the house nicely, going potty on his own without me asking more than once, etc. It took about 2 months and then he was fine again. Maybe he outgrew it or maybe the chart/tickets worked. He earned TV time, playtime with me, etc. He would earn an immediate reward for the teacher telling me he had a good day at school. School was really rough but he is so great now, 6 years later.
Good luck! He also would do what I wanted if I told him I thought he COULDN"T do it or if I made it into a race. Or if I closed my eyes and counted to 5. He liked to surprise me and I would totally play it up.
Love your blog! We have 2 adopted children that we got at birth.
Kelly
I think because you and Almi teacher have become friends she now treats you like family ie not thinking before she speaks. It may be just her way and nothing is intentional. Does she have children? Did she have to give any up for adoption for a better life? She probably loves Almi and freel sad when she thinks of her background.? Cutural differences may play a big part.
Almi has attached to you big time so dont worry. Btw Almi would have asked where Mama when she woke up. So Mrs E said no so you wouldn't worry.
You are a brilliant mother doing super
Di
thanks for all the kind comments. i will speak to her about asking those questions to almi and not take her comments to heart.
whh??? I was using my cousin's computer and my comment came up under his church's blog---ugh!
Anyway, as I commented, don't worry about Almi's attitude. She is progressing through her toddler stage right on target. As I stated in my original post, Almi and Songbird could be twins!
Songbird will say some awful isht to me that would make you want to throw holy-rose-water on her while checking to see if her head rolls!
We have back and forth banter like old women--she picks up slang like a hoodrat picks up $20.00 in Walmart!
She begs to visit her Ya-Ya daily and hates when we pick her up. She refuses to acknowlege me at the park (one lady had to escort off the slide and bring her to me as I was trying to leave the park)...all to say, Almi's alright.
Ms. E, don't worry, their relationship will chill into it's rightful relationship---don't let the enemy destory a cultural-connection Almi will need later in life.
At the end of the day/evening, strip off the hurt feelings, soak in the tub with a bottle of $4.74 Merlot (Barefoot is good) and put your thick-skin on Sunday evening in prepartion for Monday morning.
...PS....again, sorry for the mix-up....that's what I get for using other folks laptops without their full permission :).
You are doing an amazing job as a mother and a single parent.
I think Naomi's teacher comments are wrong on so many levels but I agree with the other posters about continuing their relationship. Just keep putting a positive spin on her negative remarks. She will see that and change/stop them.
I also can't wait to hear about the next chapter in your life. Congrats...
Remember when things are difficult; GOD is challenging us to grow.
Food for thought and not to be negative but...
If you decide to move near your family; remember they have their own lives too and sometimes after the honeymoon; you're right back where you started.
Enjoy your week...
Sen :)
Wow! It seems like we should all start a club for our spirited kids(LOL)! I understand you completely! I too have a "spunky" daughter! Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing things correctly; but lately I've started to realize that "they are who they are", and "it is what it is". We just do the best that we can! Sometimes it's hard to decipher things that people say, especially when your child's adopted. I don't think they mean harm, even though the words can sometimes sting. I just try not to internalize it, but that's hard too.
In the end, you are NOT ALONE in your experiences!! Oftentimes it's easier when I remind myself that there are other folks out there going through the same toddler difficulties that I am.
Remember...this too shall pass! We still have to get together sometime! Maybe we can swap ideas on how best to handle the "spirited child". Hang in there!
Hi, I'm just catching up on your blog, and I'm sure you've probably moved past this post. I wanted to add I wouldn't take the teacher's comments too personally. You guys seem to have a special relationship and she probably doesn't mean to offend you. Like someone mentioned, she probably sees you as family now.
Your baby is displaying normal toddler tendencies ( terrible 2's). She's also extremely bright which makes her personality more colorful and expressive. Hang in there, you're doing an amazing job with her. She's grown so much!
Post a Comment