Now what grains am I talking about? All grains. And potatoes. Including sweet potatoes. We are also going to go mostly sugar free. What sugars? White sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn sweetener of any kind. I will allow, however, maple syrup and honey. And coconut sugar and stevia. This way I can still bake and have yummy desserts but they will all be healthy and we won't feel totally deprived. And I can have dark chocolate. Hey! I make the rules! :)
You see, we are carb and sugar-lovin' girls up in here and it's not good. I have been reading everywhere how grains aren't really good for you. I gave them up for a few weeks right before Thanksgiving but I broke down with all the grains offered around the holidays and never went back. Thing is, when I was grain-free I felt better, I had no cravings, I didn't have to worry about calories, I was never hungry, I had less joint pain and I lost a ton of weight. Fast forward to today. I am tired, in pain, irritable and have crazy strong cravings. And the little tyke here? Well, she has a strong preference for them as well. She would be perfectly satisfied with a diet of bread, bananas, cereal, pizza, crackers and cookies. And she makes that clear at every meal. And it's gotten to the point where she is refusing most veggies and screams and cries when she can't have cereal or crackers. Sure, most 2 year olds prefer carbs and sweets. But that doesn't mean we should cave in. I know she'll rebel at first but from what I have been reading they convert pretty easily and before you know it they are eating what they are served. And that's what I want. For both of us.
I feel it's my duty as a mother to provide my child with healthy foods. I do now but it can be even better. They commented about her healthy meals to me at the daycare last week. She was eating some fruit for breakfast and they were impressed. They said many kids there won't even eat fruit let alone veggies. I told them that in her lunch that day were some homemade crackers (made with almond flour), some apple slices, a dollop of sunflower nut butter to dip them in and a clementine. Then they were really impressed! Ha! She will eat healthy foods because that's usually all she gets but I want to expand her palette and get her to the point where she readily eats an assortment of veggies and isn't disappointed when she's not getting a sugary treat. She won't get there unless I eliminate the grains and remove the junk sweets. And this goes for me, too. I'd be happy eating pizza and chocolate chip cookies 5 days a week so I am looking forward to changing my eating habits as well.
Ideally this would expand beyond six weeks or at least the grains and bad sugars would be eaten in extreme moderation. I can't really see never eating pizza again (grain-free versions do not compare) and holidays are so very difficult but we'll see. For now I am just concentrating on the next six weeks. Lent starts on Wednesday so for the next few days I am going to eat up the rest of the junk I purchased in preparation, though the meal plans will not reflect that.
The last time I gave up grains the hardest part is I got bored with the food selection. This time since I have joined the grain-free challenge I will get recipes delivered to my inbox each week. That will help considerably!
Wanna join us in going grain-free for Lent? C'mon! We need the support! Click here to sign up with Wellness Mama and join in the 40 Day Grain Free Challenge.
Here are our dinners this week:
Here are our dinners this week:
(recipes in a separate post... I have an antsy toddler ready for lunch!)
Sheperd's Pie
Fish Sticks and salad
Tuna Salad and Butternut Squash soup
Leftovers
Friday she goes to her teacher's house and I get to go out!!! Woo-hoo!!
Desserts I want to try:
Thai custard
Apple Crumble
Something with chocolate
And now for the sad stats.
I am 147.8 (but who knows if this is correct cause my scale is acting up)
I took vitamins once I think.
I slept too little most nights (though one night I got 9 hours!)
And, no, I DID NOT DO 30 DAY SHRED. I know, I know...
Next week's goals:
1. Go grain free starting Wednesday. And sugar free as much as we can.
2. Do 30 Day Shred at least once! (I can handle that, right?!)
3. Take vitamins and probiotics every day!




1 comment:
Good for you for trying to continue a healthy life-style.
I'm currently working out 5 days for a hour with P90X, which is hard but doable. I have to change my eating habits; they aren't bad but need tweaking.
Good Luck to you and keep us posted.
Sen :)
Post a Comment