3.14.2011

Sheperd's Pie

This was fantastic!!! Naomi didn't like it but she doesn't like onions or peppers. Without those she might have liked it. I LOVED it!!! Got the recipe from Wellness Mama.

Shepard's Pie:

  • 2 (or more) pounds of ground beef, turkey or other meat
  • 2-3 heads of cauliflower or 3-4 bags of frozen cauliflower
  • 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (no corn! It’s not a veggie!)
  • 1-2 onions
  • 1 egg
  • Seasonings to taste (I used natural beef bouillon, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and a little cayenne)
  • 3-4 Tablespoons of butter
  • 4 ounces of cream cheese (optional)
  • Cheese to top (optional)

How to Make Healthy Shepard/Cottage Pie:

  1. Brown meat in large skillet and season to taste when cooked. Set aside.
  2. Saute diced onion in skillet until somewhat soft. Set aside with meat.
  3. Pour mixed veggies in the skillet to heat on low heat and in the meantime…
  4. In large pot, boil several cups of water. Add cauliflower, cover, and cook until soft enough to mash.
  5. Remove the pot from the heat, pour off the water, and add butter and cream cheese to the pot.
  6. Add spices and mash. (I use a hand blender to make it really smooth)
  7. Mixed veggies should be cooked by now.
  8. Mix the meat, onions mixed veggies, raw egg and any additional seasonings and put in bottom of 9×13 baking dish.
  9. Spread mashed cauliflower mixture over it until smooth.
  10. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.
  11. Add cheese and bake 5 additional minutes (optional).
  12. Serve warm (ore reheat later)
I used ground turkey, fresh red pepper and snap peas for the veggies and topped it with raw cheddar cheese. Divine, I tell you. I am going to be making this again really soon.

1 comment:

hazel said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love making Sheperd's Pie and Biset loves eating it. I usually mix cauliflower with potatoes for the topping, but haven't tried adding the cream cheese yet.