3.05.2011

Speech Evaluation Update

A few Saturdays ago two assessors came to our house to do a free, in-depth evaluation of Almi's developmental progress --a speech pathologist and an occupational therapist. It turned out to be much more than just a simple speech evaluation. They stayed for about 3 hours doing different activities with her and asking her questions. It was very comprehensive. I can't believe it was free! I finally got the results this week.

When she was tested she was 2 years, 7 months. Here are the results:

ADAPTIVE
Self Care - 2 yrs. 6 mo.
Personal Responsibility - 2 yrs.

PERSONAL-SOCIAL
Adult Interaction - 5 yrs. 7 mo.
Peer Interaction - 4 yrs. 1 mo.
Self Concept & Social Role - 3 yrs.

COMMUNICATION
Receptive Communication - 2 yrs. 10 mo.
Expressive Communication - 2 yrs. 10 mo.

MOTOR
Gross Motor - 2 yrs. 7 mo.
Fine Motor - 2 yrs. 10 mo.
Perceptual Motor - 3 yrs. 7 mo.

COGNITIVE
Attention & Memory - 2 yrs. 4 mo.
Reasoning & Academics - 2 yrs. 6 mo.
Perception & Concepts - 2 yrs. 7 mo.

Though some scores are below her chronological age, they still were considered to fall within the average range. And some, as you can see, are quite above average. Interestingly enough, she scored quite well on expressive language. I suggested to them that it could still be possible that her teacher, pediatrician and I have valid concerns but she seems typical to them because most of the children they see are so far below the average range. They checked me immediately by responding that her teacher, pediatrician and I can have our own opinions about the situation but they are the experts in these areas. OK, put me in my place. I wasn't trying to be rude or arrogant; I just was a bit disappointed that she didn't qualify for additional services. I guess I am just so eager for her to be on par with her classmates, but the reality is for a child only in country for 11 months (at time of testing) she did amazingly well.

The only suggestions they left me with were to allow her to go down the stairs forwards and unassisted and to get a comprehensive audiological evaluation because of her history or recurrent ear infections. I can do that.

Other than that, I can continue doing what I am doing. She has learned so much and I am so incredibly proud of her.

6 comments:

Robynhood said...

wooo hoo! Go Almi! I think she did fabulously and like you said, for a tiny girl who has only been home for 11 months I think she rocked it!!

kn said...

Wonderful to read. Way to go Almi!

hazel said...

Oh wow! Those are amaing results. I understand you want her to qualify for a program in order to catch up on everything, but it sure sounds like she's on the right track just with your love and support. Great job, Mommy and Almi!!

Anonymous said...

ditto, everyone! I'm really happy about her progress! Proud of mommy, too.
m

Anonymous said...

Yay, Almi!!!!!

Great job Mommy.....

Sen

Angela said...

WOW, I was right about her being socially advanced. I'm reading your post backwards.