I found the recipes for the cranberry/apricot sauce and green beans in November issue of Real Simple and I modified them. Below are my modified versions:
Garlicky Green Beans with Almonds
1 lb. green beans
2 T olive oil
3 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/3 c. slivered almonds
Bring pot of lightly salted water to boil. Cook beans for 3 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add nuts and cook til golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain beans and add to pan. Toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
starting the beans
just a few more left
chopping garlic
see??! it's really me in there!
Cranberry/Apricot Sauce
1 T Earth Balance
2 T minced ginger from a jar
16 oz. frozen cranberries
2/3 c. Sucanat
1/2 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c. apricot preserves
Over medium heat, melt the butter. Add ginger and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add cranberries, Sucanat, lemon juice and preserves. Cook, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens, about 20 min. You can serve this warm or cold.
I use this instead of sugar all the time
starting the cranberry/apricot sauce
Mmmmm...the finished product.
The potato recipe is a modified version of the one found in the November issue of O Magazine. It called for russet potatoes but I had Yukon gold ones. I had bought those cause I was going to make buttermilk mashed potatoes but then I decided to do something healthier. Here's what I made:
Roasted Rosemary Potatoes with Garlic and Shallots
4-5 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-2" inch pieces
1/2 large red onion, chopped
6 medium shallots, peeled
2 T. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
1/3 c. olive oil
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine all but garlic in a mixing bowl and toss. Put is pan large enough to have only one layer of potatoes. Bake 30 min. Remove pan from oven and add garlic. Stir and return to oven for 30 more minutes.
a little overdone but nice and hot!
the dry ass chicken that had to be doctored up
Et voila' ! My dinner!
~ 3 hours
I also spent part of the day reflecting about what I am thankful for. Here are ten things that came to mind:
1. my family~i had a great childhood and my parents are still here to offer their support
2. my friends~some to hang out with, some to talk to, some to learn from...
3. my virtual blogging buddies~my biggest supporters on this journey!!
4. my house~ constantly changing and finally becoming my own
5. my job~not stressful, the kids make me laugh every day and it pays the bills
6. my relationship with God~ there when I need Him most
7. my health~had a successful surgery this year and am basically in good health overall
8. living in a (basically) safe country
9. many opportunities and choices about which direction my life can go
10. beauty all around~ nature, music, photography, cooking, pottery, scrapbooking, drawing, painting, etc!
~ 30 min.
Hope you had a productive day &/or a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
See you tomorrow.




2 comments:
they all look yummy.
what's Earth Balance? it's needed in the cranberry dish.
Thank you. The food wasn't too bad for someone who doesn't cook! I made a link for you to click on Earth Balance. It tastes just like butter. I love it! (well, maybe more like margarine, but it's great)
Post a Comment