12.05.2010

First Big Owie

My sweet, perfect Angel got her first big owie. She loves to jump and every day I tell her no or wait to hold Mommy's hand. She tries to jump down the steps, on the bed, on the couch, off the sidewalk, off walls, out of the car, out of the high chair.. it's all day long. And I am constantly telling her no and/or constantly keeping an eye on her and today I just didn't. I don't know why. We were outside and it was cold and I was trying to get in the house and she wanted to wander and do some jumping and I was calling her to come inside. I saw her getting to the edge of the wall and I thought it's a short wall, she should be ok and she was all bundled up in her jacket... but then she jumped off and fell on her face.

What is my problem?? Her perfect, sweet face. Her perfect skin. I am distraught and wracked with guilt. She only cried for a few minutes but I cried and continue to feel so terrible! I don't want her to get a scar on her perfect, little face. I'm so sorry, Pumpkin!


Please don't leave me mean comments, I feel terrible already. Tears.

**edited**

It looked even worse today--much larger and infected. I decided to take her into urgent care. They gave me a topical ointment and a course of antibiotics to administer for 10 days. I still feel sick when I see it, poor sweet thing. I really hope it heals nicely.

12 comments:

one + one said...

Oh no! Poor sweet pumpkin. :(
We had a near-miss accident here last night that would've left me scarred and guilt-ridden for life. They are so darn quick!!

Tami said...

I can't imagine that someone wouldn't imagine that someone would leave you mean comments. No matter how hard you try you can't predict everything nor live in a bubble. Kids fall and bruise, she will heal. I know you feel terrible but it is ok. This won't be her last owie momma. I know when Bably I falls I will feel the same but I'm just preparing now. You are a great mom.

veggiemom said...

Accidents happen. It's part of life. And for what it's worth, Violet has two large scars on one cheek. They've been there for years...she can't remember getting them. Most people don't even see them when they look at her. She told me once that none of her classmates at this school had even ever asked her about them. Even if it does scar (which I doubt it will), it won't be as bad as you think.

Robynhood said...

Oh Laura, I feel for you... The first big owie is the hardest!
Twinkle fell on her face at daycare when she was learning to walk and took all the skin off the end of her nose. I was soooo worried about scars. But we used bio oil and it took care of it. It's amazing stuff. They swear by it in southern Africa and I picked up a bottle at Costco. Dont worry about her poor little face, I bet it heals up good as new. Baby skin seems to heal very well and soon it will be good as new :)
Hugs to you both,

R & A

sko3 said...

a) it happens. Don't worry about it.
b) I really doubt that will scar.
c) Selam has a scar on her eyebrow--no idea how it got there. I think it adds interest to her face.

Anonymous said...

Laura-

Everything will be okay..
She will have an accident again but she will be okay then too.
Enjoy your week!

Sen :)

Anonymous said...

My sweetie came home at 2 from China. I swear that her parents were acrobats. I had to bolt furniture to the wall as everything was a surface to be climbed. The first bump is the hardest for mom though. Be nice to yourself. Your angel likely felt better just having the extra cuddles!!!

kn said...

Oh sweet woman, mean comments! No no no no, you deserve sweet comments, this motherhood thing is so hard! You did what all normal people should do, asses the situation but then allow normal toddler physical experimentation. She needs to be allowed to fall down. Boo boos are going to happen. It's so much worse to hover too closely and I am extremely protective believe me. I doubt she'll scar it doesn't look deep enough. I do believe in bacitracin and neosporin for keeping scars down. Quinn is constantly bumped and scraped up and the only scar he has is where an actual chunk of his skin was gouged out.

Hang in there mama! It's the totally yucky side of parenting.

Anonymous said...

sweet mommy, it'll be all right soon.
Once you sliced your forehead falling against the Danish style living room couch and we were distraught but your forehead recovered and so did we... you are such a careful mom...your blog friends are right...some owies are inevitable...m

Anonymous said...

She is fine and you will be too- once you get over the guilt. I always tell my patients, your child WILL fall off of something at some point and you will feel guilty and she will be fine. Having said that, I almost had a cow the first time Senait fell off the bed. Please notice, I said FIRST time because there have been other episodes. Tonya

I's mom said...

WOW. the first owie after 8/0 months home. Your doing pretty good. A family visiting Ethiopia took pics for me while I was waiting to travel. Imagine my emotions when I got a pic with a big bandaid and was told he feel & had stitches right above his eye. Yikes!!! I couldn't get him fast enough and felt helpless. He still has the scar to prove it although not as noticable today. But since he's been here is knees are a magnet to the cement at school. I told his teachers I was going to send him with knee pads to school. Good thing the cooler weather came because now his pants serve as a buffer. I try shea butter and coca butter to try to get the scars away. Folks keep telling me boys will be boys but he'll hate those scars when he's older if they don't go away. So all this to say: You done good if this is the first owie! Unfortunately you never want them on the face.

Jebena said...

Ms. L, don't feel sad or down about it.

My BSB had to be taken to the emergency room a few months into learing how to walk. That trip to the hospital just to get a once glance over costed us $$$$75.00!!!
Hubby handed the lady a $100.00 bill. looked at me, and then hollered out to the reception-lady, "Put the $25.00 on my tab--we'll be back."

Glad to see her sweet face boo-boo and all!