12.23.2010

Finally!

I had to work all the way until this afternoon. The 23rd of December. Don't get me wrong, I know I am pretty fortunate to get a paid week of vacation but that doesn't take away from the challenges of trying to wrap things up at work, prepare my house for company, shop for Christmas presents, etc. all while dealing with my active toddler. It isn't possible. Believe my I tried. But finally, finally, I am on vacation.

My cousin arrived last night and crashed my (new, comfortable, amazing) couch and my parents and sister arrived this afternoon. I got the work stuff to the point where I could walk away without feeling stressed, I made our Christmas card, wrote the letter and I put the tree up but I didn't clean my house to company standards nor did I shop. I warned my family: I don't have money for gifts and we don't need anything so let's not exchange. No one wanted to hear that of course--it doesn't matter if you don't give, but we still want to.. and of course Almi needs lots of presents under the tree... etc. so the presents have been arriving and I feel bad for being empty handed. Sigh.

Here's our card. How do people put in on the blog looking so professional (and not like it's lying on my desk). Seriously, how is that done?


I also wrote a letter. I LOVE Christmas letters!! I wish the younger generation wrote them. Yes, by 'younger generation' I mean everyone under 60! I started writing one three years ago and I am going to keep writing them! I love how they record the year. What a cool thing to look back on in future years. I think letters and cards are so nice to get, especially photo cards. Love photo cards! So fun to see how everyone has grown. E-cards? Not a fan. Though they can be cute, you can't put them in a scrapbook. To me, they are so impersonal. Though they are infinitely better than the Merry Christmas text message. Those really annoy me. You can't even call me on Christmas day? I get a whole ten seconds of your time? Boo. Christmas letters, please make a comeback. I love you.

Well, gotta run! Tired and tons to do tomorrow:

* gotta clean up
* go grocery shopping for Christmas dinner and the Open House I'm hosting
* buy wrapping paper and wrap Almi's gifts
* do something with this God awful hair
* google interesting h'ors deouvres and make food for Open House
* go to church
* and a few other odds and ends..

And just to prove that she does settle down. Here is a sweet pic of her sleeping.

See? She sleeps. And now so must I.

4 comments:

three little birds said...

Such a sweet card.
I got mine on my blog by linking directly from shutterfly but you can also scan it into your computer and then upload from there ...
:) Anne
www.oliveradoption.blogspot.com

Jebena said...

About giving gifts this year...Sistafriend, this is your time to RECEIVE! Why don't you allow those who love you, just love on you the way they want to without you feeling like you have to give something material back in exchange.......all they want from you in exchange is your smile, your hug, your laugh, your peace, your YOU!

Happy Holidays!

kn said...

Merry Christmas!

Being a mom to your beautiful daughter is a gift to everyone who knows you. You have brought her into their lives. I agree with Jebena, learning to receive is difficult but important.

Enjoy your family!

Anonymous said...

I second what Jebena said.
Relax and Enjoy the Blessing that GOD is bestowing on you.
Have a blast with your daughter and your family this holiday season.

Sen :)