I don't even remember what she did now and thankfully she doesn't reduce me to tears too often. I was probably just extra tired and stressed out. For the most part she is a good little girl but she likes to test me and to express her growing independence. She stomps her foot at me when she's angry (I try not to laugh because though not appropriate it is so darn cute), she yells "no!!" a lot and whines way too much. What is it with the whining?! Man, that's annoying. I don't know where she picked that up but that is one of the first things I want to stop. She's better behaved than many, but has room for improvement in my book.
So, through my tears and aggravation, I caved and ordered parenting books. That was a hard pill to swallow--I never thought I would need to do that-- but I bit the bullet and did. And I am glad I did. Why suffer through trying different techniques and strategies? Why not just do what the experts say works? And if my child's behavior is in part a reflection of my parenting, well then help a sistah out! One of the books didn't bowl me over but I am most impressed with 1*2*3 Magic. I haven't finished reading it yet but I have still started to implement the strategies. So far, so good. I'm confident when I finish the book and do it properly that it will work with her. Yes! Basically, from what I have read so far, it is used to stop behaviors you don't want (like tantrums, whining, etc.) When the unwanted behavior starts, you tell your child, "That's one" and wait to see if they change the behavior. Most two year olds won't so in a few seconds you say, "That's two" as you hold up two fingers. Again, you give the child about five seconds or so to think about the consequences of their actions. If you get to three a consequence is administered. It can be a time out (the number of minutes equaling the child's age) or taking away something of importance to them like TV or dessert or something appropriate for your household and your child's age. Then, after the time out, there is no discussion about it. Everything just goes back to normal. It avoids yelling and lectures and hitting and drama. All of which I am trying to avoid.
I know the adoption community is against time outs. The fear I guess is we don't want the child to feel a sense of abandonment all over again. I don't know if I agree with this. I mean, she would only be in time out for two minutes. She is alone for more than two minutes when I run to the bathroom, grab a phone call or if she is playing while I am cooking dinner. I don't think she will be scarred for life for a two minute time out and the beauty of it is it gives both parent an child time away from each other to cool down and think. Sometimes my time out chair is within view though I do think there is something to be said for removing a child from a situation sometimes even if he/she is adopted. And I feel my daughter is attached so that certainly factors in but in the end I guess each parent needs to decide what is best for his/her child.
There is more to it and, like I said, haven't read the whole book but it seems to be working so far. If she starts acting up and I get to 2, she yells, "No two! No two!!" and I respond, "Well, then stop doing XYZ so I don't get to 3" and she usually does. I hear that after awhile all you have to do is calmly say, "That's 1" and the behavior stops immediately. I look forward to that day!
Having my child listen to me the first time a direction is given and to be pleasant more often than no, is my goal. She's a toddler so tantrums and defiance are part of the age, but I don't want to be the parent with the screaming four year old in the candy aisle of the grocery store and I don't want to be the parent who gets calls from her Kindergarten teacher for poor choices in school. She's only two but I got my first taste of that the other day when I got Almi's report card. It wasn't a total shock since they have been telling me for a couple of months now that she is having a hard time listening, but it is hard to see it in black and on her formal report card. For posterity.
My goal is to have the 4th reporting period end on a good note. I want to see them write that she has done an excellent job with listening or improved her listening skills or something like that. I know we can't completely control how our children act, and some children have physical, emotional or mental health issues that make compliance more difficult, but we can still try to instill values and appropriate behavior into our children--even our toddlers! They may not become ingrained until they are 25 but at least we can try. Or at least I will try.
**P.S. - Happy 86th birthday, Dad! ♡♡♡ I love you!! ♡♡♡




15 comments:
Oh, man...can I relate to the whining?! Glad you found some resources that you like and feel comfy with. I am going to check it out!
Okay, I just typed a big long comment about this and for some reason it didn't post! But basically I said that book is amazing! Stick with it. When we are having more behavior problems it's usually because I haven't been using the system as I should be. My 23 month old pick up the way it works from watching me with my 4 1/2 year old and it's been great for all of us. I have to be careful not to slip back into nagging mod but other then that it's been great!
I hope it works as well for you as it has for us!
-Jen-
I have heard of other adoptive parents that do a "time in." which means that child is not separated from the parent, but is still in a time-in chair. We sort of do this. I have a settle down chair for her---most poor choices I can redirect easily, but when she gets to screaming, she goes in the settle down chair to just get a grip on herself. I stay with her but do not interact with her at all until she's calmed down and can speak in a normal voice. With my child (obviously mileage varies), I found that if I walk away when she's misbehaved--even just to get a deep breath, she gets really upset, and has even said, "do I have to find a new family now?" Which, of course, breaks my heart.
I have heard wonders about 123 magic!
Parenting is different than any other job. Oy, and two/three year olds - yikes - for me this is the most difficult time. I agree that time outs are not going to hurt her, although I know that is different than some advice out there. For our part we do time-ins at the moment because Belaye has only been home one month. I sit with him for the three minutes. It has been helpful but that might change. Everything always changes the moment you get something right:-)
I would be really concerned if there was a two or three year old that was a good 'listener.' Not that I think we should ignore the issue just that I think it's developmentally impossible without literally being abusive. We worked on it at 2 and 3 years old, with very low expectations. At three years old we did 'first time listening' high fives. Whenever he responded on the first request I made a deal of his first time listening skills and gave him a high five. He's a very attentive student now in second grade, which is partly his in-born need to please but I do think the first time listening game helped to teach him without too much stress.
All that said, it is incredibly difficult! I liked the book 'positive discipline' but I would always try to see if the library has it as each parenting book is so personal even if they are really good you can't say whether it will work for your family.
Just know that five is so much more pleasant all though you will find yourself missing all of the toddler 'mistakes.'
I could seriously have written that first paragraph myself - and I was reduced to tears last night too.
Glad you've found something that works for you!
I have used 1-2-3 since my little one was two (adopted from ET at eleven months). She is strong willed, uber talkative, independent...It has worked wonders. She is now 4 and half and all I have to do is mouth "one" from across the room and she will fall in line.
I just wanted to suggest the book The Connected Child. It is specifically for children with attachment issues but it really has a lot of really good ideas.
I'm more disturbed at the teacher's written comment about Almi needing to work on her listening skills----THAT needs to be rewritten in a more productive, child centered/child based approach. As an Educational Consultant for my State, and as an Administrator working on my last and final professional studies work leading to my Ed.d (yeah me)...that written comment has my head shaking, "mama-noooooooooo!"
In my mama voice, "she'll be 'aight" she's progressing through her 2s/3s as she should be.
Apolgs first but I am going to have a mini rant about Almi nursery. I am quite disappointed of the quality of feedback detailed on her report. "....did an excellent job...." what the heck does that mean. At the least I would of expected postitive comments related to Almi contribution. Ie reads well, cooperative child etc etc
Still ranting...." needs to improve listening slkills...." what does this blasé statement mean? Is the teacher actually saying that all day Almi ignores them? I would ask them to explain. Rant over ... It just that I have a bee in my Bonnet about the labelling a child process.
I agree you want the best for Almi but any parent will tell you being 2 is a nightmare and a toddlers brain is nothing Like a adults. I to have Experienced some eye watching toddler bad behaviour and wondererd if my parenting is poor.
This is no excuse but remember you are parenting 100% so if much br hard work.
Following on from your post have ordered the book.
Oops just remember you are parenting 100 % so you see everything. It's funny but last night I made Madame dinner and she decided she wanted a fork not a spoon so she lifted up her plate and hurled her dinner at me. Timeout was a definite and she realised the error of her ways and said sorry. I calmly said" in our household that is unacceptable" and hopes this work.
At this age they are hardwork but with effective parenting they will do us proud in the years to come.
D
I totally feel you on this post. I am a pediatrician and I gave great advice all day long. Unfortunately, my daughter doesn't agree with some of it and decides to do things her own way. I have found 1-2-3 and time out to be a great way to re-direct her. I think time outs are very effective. Just as there is no single way to discipline a biological child, each adopted child should be treated as an individual. Do what you think is best. Tonya
I agree that the feedback lacked feed and back. I hope the new techniques work for you, I think you may be being a little hard on yourself. I believe this is a time where they definitely are testing the waters... I like 1,2,3 and I love time out... mommy REALLY loves bedtime lol. Hang in there
Mom to a 2 year old with extreme defiance, an independent spirit and great vocal skills AND I LOVE IT!
BTW... forget the ppl in the next booth. It's life!!!
I'm finally catching up and I have a few questions.
First-where are you going?!?!?! and when.
Where are you leaving from? Considering relocating myself. Renting/selling???? (I'm pondering possibilities in my mind here)
Lastly- and this is a hard one for me to remember most of the time- but one of the best pieces of feedback I got (and I'm pretty sure it was delivered in a not so nice way.. but maybe I was over sensitive) was something like this "If you are in a battle of wills with a 2-3 year old- you already lost". It is HARD to not take it to that level to begin with (the guilty pleads) but when I can - it really improves the relation ship building. Good luck!!
We do the time out...I agree it isn't going to scar them at all....he knows once he is sitting on the step he has to calm down before he can go and play.
Oy, the tantrums and the whining...2 is hard!
I have heard good things about the book you are recommending from other friends so I will have to check it out.
Nothing wrong with time-outs in my opinion! Frankly sometimes *I* need the timeout more than they do -- the quiet time gives us both (or all three of us on a bad day) time to cool down.
We also use clean-up time instead of time-outs about half the time. Instead of sending one of the girls to spend 5 minutes in time-out, I point to the nearest mess (there is ALWAYS a mess) and ask that she clean up for 5 minutes. Works like a charm, we both get time to calm down and something gets picked up.
Post a Comment