11.05.2010

Apple Crisp

I printed out a whole host of recipes recently and put them all together in a 3-ring binder. I have been meaning to make this for awhile, but since it's made with almond flour and I don't let Almi eat peanuts or tree nuts I had to wait until she was asleep to make it. Last night I finally got my chance and boy, was it worth the wait!

First I whipped up the topping.
Then I peeled the apples.
Then I sliced the apples. I love this apple slicer! I use it all the time.
I assembled the apple sliced in an 8x8 dish. I read somewhere that when you are making applesauce you should use a variety of apples so I did the same thing with my apple crisp. I think there were Gala, Fuji and McIntosh in there.
Next I plopped on the topping--which I sampled quite a bit of after mixing it up. It wasn't very sweet but I decided to follow the recipe as directed.
I set the timer for 40 minutes. 50 seemed awfully long and I was afraid it was going to burn but when I checked it the apples weren't as soft as I wanted them to be so I cooked it for the entire 50 minutes, plus the ten uncovered. Here it is finished and ready to eat (yeah, I already served myself some pre-photo). I may have actually kept it in another 5-10 minutes longer to get it more crispy and browned but Naomi was crying loudly from her crib, which she never does, so I ran to attend to her.
Let me tell you, this is amazingly good! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a way to use up some of your fall apple stash or just crave a healthy dessert. It could be sweeter but I guess that's because I am used to eating overly sweetened desserts with refined white sugar. I drizzled a bit of honey on my serving and that was perfect. I could also see maybe warming up some maple syrup and drizzling that on top or pouring on a bit of vanilla almond milk. I will definitely try those suggestions this weekend. Now the trick is to find a way to sneak and eat this.

I got the recipe from Elena's Pantry. Love that site!

P.S. I only got a small sample of this last night because Almi cried for over an hour and was only consoled with some ibuprofin and getting into Mommy's bed to go back to sleep. I think she may have an ear infection because she was saying "Owie!" and holding onto her left ear. I didn't sleep very well last night with her in there coughing and poking me so I'm glad I whipped up this yummy dessert to come home to tonight.

No comments: