11.26.2010

Almi's Baptism

On Thanksgiving day, surrounded by family, I dedicated Almi back to God. It was a wonderful service and I loved having it in the intimacy of my parent's living room. It was perfect. Let the pictures tell the story:



Highlights:

* having my cousin Chaz officiating
* doing a Ring Shout*
* having so many family members there to celebrate with us
* both of us wearing beautiful Ethiopian dresses I personally selected when traveling
* Almi clasping her hands in prayer
* being photographed with the 100yr old family Christening gown
* the informality of it which allowed for unique moments such as:
- Almi going up and down on a stool saying "up, down, up down"
- her impromptu playing of the piano
- when my dad said his prayer for her she shouted something back to him
- when we broke out into the spiritual, Amen! Almi sang and danced with us
- seeing her go back to the Holy water after the service and putting more and more on her forehead (and some on mine)
- feeling the Love in the room: love of tradition, love of family, love of God

* A Ring Shout is a religious ritual performed by African slaves. They would stand in a circle and sing, dance, stomp, clap or speak in whatever way the Spirit moved them. For our service, we went around in a circle with each person sharing a few words about Almi. I started with a few words that were given to me in Addis from her Ethiopian mother, then family shared and concluded with me fighting back tears as I read a letter I had written just for my sweet girl. It was very special and made our first Thanksgiving together very, very memorable indeed.

10 comments:

InventingLiz said...

So beautiful - I can practically feel the love jumping right out of the pictures!

Tami said...

This is the most beautiful dedication/baptismal I have seen or read about yet. Absolutely beautiful! What a memory you have here. Lovely LL, lovely! You two looked wonderful and gorgeous! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful celebration. Very nice pics.

Sen :)

kn said...

What a beautiful moment in the life of your family! Thank you for sharing the photos, they are a joy to see.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

one + one said...

beautiful beautiful

Bennett said...

now I'm all teary! that was beautiful.

love the dresses

The Kokopelli Diaries said...

beautiful...I fought back tears just reading this...

book please..

Jebena said...

Beautiful--I'm so proud of you!

Ramona said...

What a beautiful moment with family.
Ramona
PS Meski got the same dress in Ethiopia and she wore it when we had her dedicated in our church!