Choosing a name for my daughter was something I took very seriously. It was very important for me to keep Almaz as part of her name but it was also important to me that I honor my family in some way and that I pay attention to the meaning of the name. However, other considerations came to mind like the fact that I became a mother in February. February, the month of love in the middle of the winter. And another consideration was the fact that the first thing I thought of when I saw her was that she had bright eyes. Whenever people see her photo they almost always comment on her eyes. "Look at those eyes!" is a phrase I have heard many times. And finally, I wanted to simply use a name that I like! Well, as you can see, that's a lot factors to be part of one little girl's name!
* use Almaz
* honor family
* consider names with meaning
* consider becoming a mother in February
* my first thought of her bright eyes
* a name that I like
Clearly I had some narrowing down to do! I couldn't give her 6 names, she's not Tikki Tikki Tembo!
Names in my family of importance begin with L, E and M. Names that I liked with those initials included (but were not limited to) Lauren, Leila, Elizabeth, Eleanor, Miranda and Madeline.
Names with meaning that I love include Amanda (much loved), Evelyn (desired), Gabriella (God is my strength), and Miriam (wished for child).
February brought to mind names like Neve (snow in Latin), Zaria (rose in Arabic), Ruby, Rose and Winter.
Her eyes led me to discover names like Claire (bright in French), Nayana (beautiful eyes in Hindi) and Najila (bright eyes in Arabic).
And then there were just names that I liked like Quinn, Brooklyn, Samantha, Priya and Grace.
When I first started the process of choosing a name I shared some of the ones I liked with friends and family and you wouldn't believe how cruel people were! I heard comments like, "that's ghetto" or "sounds like a stripper" or "not resume-friendly" or "I'm not a fan." I quickly learned not to share.
Well, after lots and lots and lots of deliberation, I am here to say I have chosen a full name. Here are some hints:
** The first name is 3 syllables. I love it and it has special meaning. It begins with an N.
** The second name is listed above. No more clues.
** The third name means diamond in Amharic. :-)
Care to make a guess?
It bears noting that I am quite fond of the name Almaz and think its meaning is special. I may in fact just call her Almaz or perhaps a combination of the names I have chosen. What she will go by will be officially determined once I meet her.
(And Robyn, you can not guess since you found out already! :-D)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 comments:
Miriam Ruby Almaz
(btw - I named my Ruby after my great grandmother, who was very special to me. When I was deciding on her name, my mom told me that I could absolutely not use Ruby. It was way too old fashioned and ugly. I told her if she wanted to name a child, she could have another one and name him or her whatever she wanted. My daughter was being named Ruby. Now she is such a Ruby my mom has no recollection of saying anything about not liking the name. Whatever name you choose will be perfect no matter what anyone else says.)
I'm going with Nayana Amanda Almaz. Not strippery or ghetto at all (I can't believe anyone would say that! Seriously!).
Hmmm.. my official guess is
Nayana Eleanor Almaz ..
Good for you. People are SO rude about names! We put so much love and effort into naming our kids. I learned to stop telling others the name until the child was here. Then they never say anything:)
Becky
Ok so I wont post my guess, but I still have to say that the name you chose is my favorite on the list :)
Najila Zaria Almaz
Nayana Samantha Almaz
Najila Amanda Almaz
Nayana Elizabeth Almaz
Nayana Gabriella Almaz
= beautiful girl
with beautiful mommy
love from tu sais qui
Najila Grace Almaz
acknowledging the grace of God and also the pleasing sound of a one syllable name in the rhythm...
wordwoman
Nevaeh for the first name.....
Grace
Almaz...
Just a guess!!
Ok maybe I'm reading the instructions wrong. the first name is NOT listed above. but begins with a N and is three syllables
so I'm going for Natalia Winter Almaz
Kym
Post a Comment