2.19.2010

Getting Closer...

Let's revisit my TO DO list, shall we?

Travel

book tickets - check
decide on guest house - check
go to bank
get shots - got some, want more
fill travel partner in on what to expect - check
organize paperwork
organize donations

House
clean
cook meals to freeze - not doing
buy prepared toddler-friendly foods
organize the nursery
baby-proof the house

Job
sign up for FMLA - check
secure a substitute - check
write sub plans - check
tie up loose ends

baby
make pediatrician appt.
make dentist appt. - not doing
follow up on daycare - check
purchase needed items

other
get car serviced- made appt.
finish books on attachment parenting
doctor appts. for me - made appt.
color my hair

Still a lot to do from the list and still quite a few very important things that are not on that list that must get done like pay bills, send in preliminary paperwork for insurance, call for an estimate for a car I hit yesterday (just took off their mirror, thankfully, but the estimate they gave me was over $200--so do not need this hassle!) figure out how I'm getting to and from the airport, reinstall carseat, buy travel insurance, get volume fixed on computer, etc. One other thing that I must do is the photo album. Unfortunately I didn't send a photo album with the traveling parent who took her gift bag. I hadn't passed court yet and I guess I was being superstitious. Well, I was ok with that because I knew another family was traveling and I could send one with them. Well with the blizzard I wasn't able to get anything in the mail so now my little sweetie has never seen any pictures of me! I am going to create an album to take with me and get it to her when I arrive. Since I arrive a few days before I take custody of her at least if I don't meet her beforehand the nannies can talk to her about me so I won't be a complete stranger. It's better than nothing.

On a happier note, people at work are SO excited! I got so many hugs and emails and kind words this week. They are insisting on throwing me a shower when I get back or at least gathering items I would need while I am away and having them ready to present to me when I return. I am quite overwhelmed at the outpouring of support. It has really made this stressful time so much easier. Well, off to tackle some items! I'll leave you with a picture of my big girl standing. I can't wait to meet her!

Upon further examination of this photo, I realize that she is wearing the clothes I sent to her!! I send items that I thought she would outgrow by summer here and they look like they are kind of big on her! I am pretty sure they were 12 months or smaller. Gosh, I wish I had written it down to be sure, but I know I loved that Hannah Anderson dress and wanted her to wear it at least once. This at least helps me figure out what size to pack. Her gift bag arriving also means that the camera I put inside probably has photos of her on it. I can't wait to get them developed! Gosh, she looks so cute! I can't believe she is my daughter!

7 comments:

I's mom said...

Great to see some progression in your to do list. i'm sure when all is said and done you have it done. On the car seat reinstall, I'd recommend going to a fire station and have them install it. That is my plan since there is one right when I exit my development everyday. Plus it never hurts to make friends w/ law enforcement or firefighters - they may save your life one day :-)

sko3 said...

Okay, not that you asked my advice, but here it is:
1) don't bother with the toddler-friendly foods. I did that and it was a waste of time, as once I had her I discovered that she didn't actually like the foods that I had bought. They are still in my cabinet. I may just donate them to the day care, as she's never going to eat goldfish!
2) buy yourself a gift card to a grocery store. Give it to a friend or colleague who asks if there is anything she/he can do. Email him/her from the airport with a small list of items that the baby actually does eat plus some essentials for you. Voila! your first few days at home are covered.
3) you don't need to make a pediatrician appointment. When you call and say, "I brought my daughter home from Ethiopia yesterday," they want to see you right away.
4) books on attachment parenting? skip 'em or bring them on the plane. You'll follow your gut.
5) coloring your hair--I totally did that. I did it because I wanted to look just like the picture I'd sent her! And it turns out that she hadn't had a lot of access to that picture anyway! She saw it when she got it, and then the nannies took it away and gave it back to her when I arrived.
6) The photo album--S LOVED that photo album and carried it everywhere for the 1.5 weeks we were in ET. She showed the pictures to EVERYBODY (guards at hte embassy, cooks at the guest house, other parents...). It was an important part of her figuring out where she was headed. You little one is much younger though, so your mileage may vary. I wouldn't beat yourself up over not sending it ahead, as I think the experience of the nannies hanging onto it until the last minute is pretty common!
5) that dress and that child are TOO FRIGGING CUTE!!!! Oh my gosh, how do you stand it?

You are going to be FINE!! You're going to be GREAT!

Jebena said...

I just get the giggles everytime I come to your blog...she is a precious sugar baby :)!!!

Jennifer said...

She is just adorable. Thinking of you this week!

Anonymous said...

You and Almaz are going to be fine. You will be a GREAT Mom. You've had years of practice with your students. Just roll with it. :)


BTW..Can you email me. I have donations but I want to make sure they are needed and enough.

I's mom said...

If you provide me with your email I will send you the coming home phrases & words in Amharic. This is the only way I could find to contact you.

Single PAP said...

thanks, dana. you know what? i realized my agency put a whole bunch of phrases in our program manual so I am going to bring these on the plane and learn them.

thanks, though!