As I plug through my to do list and check off all the things I need to do and buy before my daughter's arrival, honestly I am struck down by the fear and enormity of it all. I am a mother, a parent; I am now and forever responsible for another human being. Do I think I am up for the job? Sure, I wouldn't have adopted if I thought otherwise. But the joys of becoming a mom to a new cuddly girl and all the years of yearning and waiting haven't dimmed my perception about how difficult raising a child on my own is going to be.
I have taught young children for the past 16 years (and babysat for years before that) and although I know that parenting 24/7/365 is not the same as being a teacher, I feel it has definitely given me an edge. I have had the opportunity to meet hundreds, maybe thousands, of children and by doing so I have gotten plenty of experience with relating to children and working with different personalities. I have worked with children of different learning styles and learned a variety of behavior management techniques. I have worked school age children, preschool children and deaf children. I think these experiences will come in handy while parenting but I am still a nervous wreck.
Then I read these blogs of parents-to-be and they are all sunshine and rainbows and unicorns and it makes me feel guilty for feeling at all apprehensive. Maybe they are in a fantasy world. Or maybe they are the types with loads of energy who currently have spotless homes, prepare home cooked meals and still have time for crafts and 10 mile runs while holding down full time jobs. Or maybe they have full time nannies and housekeepers lined up and spouses who are eager to be 100% involved.
Well, that is not me. I am tired now. I can only imagine how it's going to be with Almaz home. I don't like laundry or preparing meals and I am good for doing both as infrequently as possible. That is surely going to have to change. I love taking naps and going out for cocktails and dating and traveling. That will have to be put on the back burner. I don't have too many complaints about my single life and I get my "kid fix" every day at work when along with teaching the three R's, I tie shoes, instill morals, give hugs and wipe tears. But something has been missing. I feel it around all the holidays, especially Christmas, but even the smaller ones like Fourth of July and Valentine's Day. And oddly enough I also feel it at random times like while on the ferry going over to Martha's Vineyard. I want my own child, my own traditions, my own family. Well, that time is here. She is here. I am a mother. I am writing this to document my real feelings about this so next February when I am in the groove I can look back and see where I was and how far I've come. I want to be able to remember how nervous I was as I prepared to become a mom. I have wanted this for so long and now she's here and I am really scared.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Just wanted to say that I totally get it. Thrilling, exhausting, frightening all rolled into one... and my kid's not even home yet.
I had the same worries and concerns and also noticed that everyone else always seemed so positive. I wondered what was wrong with me. Becoming a parent is massively life changing. I think its impossible to head toward that kind of change without experience some worries. You're being honest in my opinion.
Laura,
When i got the call that Twinkle was mine and I needed to go and get her I was very happy and very very scared. I pretty much stopped eating for two months and lost 25 pounds. I remember being at the airport and crying as I got on the plane because I was so scared. My thoughts were something like what have I done, and yet I can honestly say adopting my tiny daughter was the best thing I have ever done in my entire life. Yes I am responsible for her for my entire life but you know what, I love that! She is the best thing that ever happened to me, and once you and your little girl are together at home and the craziness of travel has subsided you will wonder why you didnt do this years ago. Dont worry, everything you are feeling is normal. If you arent nervous and scared about becoming a parent then I think it means you havent thought it all through. It is a huge job and yes I soooo miss my naps, and yet, lying on the floor with Twinkle while she plays with her toys is such a great way to spend an afternoon.
Dont be hard on yourself, just enjoy the fact that your daughter is getting closer each day!
hugs to you, Robyn and A
You know you don't get sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns over at my blog. We spit the truth over there.
If you weren't apprehensive, nervous or scared - I'd be worried about you. Check out some of my posts from when I traveled to Ethiopia and first came home with Q-man. Ouch! What a huge transition - and we're in it again right now with Keira. It passes and gets better, but the apprehension you're feeling is completely justified. You're life is about to change completely. I think that warrants some nervous moments...
You'll be fine - that's the good news. One day at a time...that's how you do it. Literally!!
I know what you mean about wanting your own family especially around the holidays...there has been a part of me that has felt like I'm not really an adult without my own child, single or not. It definitely played a part in my decision to adopt, and I'm glad to read someone else who admits that this is part of what it's all about.
Pay no attention to those rainbow and unicorn bloggers - a lot of people don't want to air their dirty laundry (literally and figuratively), but you end up with more support when you really tell the truth about how hard it is. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I have my moments of being scared too, even as it does get better as time goes on.
thanks, guys. it helps to be validated. Christie, it was your blog i was reading today! LOL i actually found a new post written about a month after you got Q with the bullet points about the things they don't tell new moms. i read it with open eyes cause it IS so open and honest and real. it's the real mccoy and that's what i want to hear. prepare for the worst, hope for the best basically.
As already stated, if you weren't scared I would know you're holding back on us. I'm scared too, but thank God the excitement is stronger most of the time. I can't wait to see you there and am so glad you got a travel partner.
Post a Comment