I bought this house thinking into the future. I don't do that much anymore--that is, now I try to live more presently. Truthfully, many times in the past few years I wondered why I was living in a house in a family neighborhood in DC when I really wanted to be living in a hip NYC apartment, hanging out in clubs and lounges and dating hot models. (Ha! Reality check: you are a 40-something Kindergarten teacher about to become a mom.. get a grip). Honestly, I do dream about that at times but now that Almaz is coming home I am back to appreciating where I live!
I was driving home the other day with my camera (which stays with me since I am involved in
Project 365) and realized once again all the great things that are all within 6 blocks from my house.
There's the beautiful neighborhood public library:

The nice community center with a workout room and indoor pool:

Outdoor tennis courts:

A dance studio:

Also, a good vegetarian/vegan/raw foods restaurant, a Jamaican restaurant with the best peach pie ever and I just discovered a brand new Spanish immersion day care center with space! I also have a pretty decent-sized yard and friendly neighbors!
If I venture 2 miles, I have a really nice park with toddler play equipment:

and many restaurants, including several Ethiopian ones, and this great coffee shop:

Yeah, I will always have a love affair with New York City but this is a pretty good set up if you ask me! This will be a great place to raise my daughter.
4 comments:
OK - I"m moving where you live!
We have many similar places but not the peach pie and the ethiopian restaurants.
that's enough reason to move if you ask me.
I am also envious! I do not plan to stay where I am for very much longer - never planned to stay very long, even before I decided to adopt - and I really need the housing market to pick up again so I can sell this place and move to a better neighborhood.
What great luck to have an unexpected week off to get the nursery and all your stuff together before travelling! Such a gift from above! That must have been quite a relief.
Here's a tip: If your bags are overweight, try and get in line at the airport with an Ethiopian looking ticket person. There are tons of Ethiopians working for all the airlines (not just ET Air). I did, and I told them the bags were filled with donations for the orphanage (true) and they let them on the plane without having to pay the overweight charges.
I have that dream too about NYC.... And I still have pangs about it but I chose motherhood and for now that is all encompassing. And wonderful.
Post a Comment