The name Naomi has both Hebrew and Japanese roots. In Hebrew, as I understand it, Naomi means "pleasant", "my joy", "my delight". My middle name also means "joy" so there is kind of a family connection there. In Japanese, nao means honest and mi means beautiful. I think it is a beautiful name.
Winter, came about for a couple of reasons. First of all, it just sounds so pretty to me! This has also been a memorable winter for sure, and I also became a mother in winter. I love the sound of it. Elegant and unique.
Almaz means Diamond. I love that meaning because she certainly is my little jewel, my gem. I learned from my Ethiopian travel agent today that a nickname for Almaz can be "Almi". That is so cute! I may call her that.
It was very important to me to have a part in the naming of my child. This little girl is going to be my everything, the person I live my life for, and coming up with my own name for her was very special. It was equally important for Almaz to be included. In Ethiopia, a name often symbolizes an event surrounding the birth. I won't know why she was given this name --or even it was her mother who gave it to her (and I may never know)-- but I wanted her to have that to hold onto, something to have pride in and cherish from her birth country. She has two families who love her: her Habesha fmily and her American family and she will be reminded of each when she thinks of her name.
I love how the three names sound together as well. I can see her as an elegant woman with this beautiful and unique name. Three pretty, yet significant, names. Whichever she chooses to go by as she gets older will be fine by me because I like them all. She will be an Ethiopian-American girl living in a very diverse, multicultural city and I think her name suits her beautifully.
I want to add that in making the decision I turned to the internet for guidance! When I made the final decision, strangers left the following sweet comments on my post. Naomi Winter Almaz. I put a lot of love and thought into her name and I hope she likes it as much as I do.
naomi winter almaz it is!
Thread created by: lighow on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:05 am
thanks for all your help!!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by irisrose on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:18 am
congratulations--Naomi Winter Almaz is beautiful!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by susan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 am
How lovely, so warm and sparkly!
Congratulations on your sweet little daughter!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by everwaiting on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 am
Great job!!!
Three cheers for little Naomi Winter Almaz H!!!
-----------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by lyndsayjenness on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 am
Ooh! What a great name! I foresee you calling out "Naomi Winter!" many times in the future (not because she's in trouble, just because it's fun to say!). Naomi is an amazing name, totally unappreciated but so so beautiful! Your daughter has an enviable name, good work!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by jill on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am
Woo-hoo!!! I think Naomi Winter Almaz is gorgeous, not to mention special. :-)
Congratulations!
Take care!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by jillymommy on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 am
Beautiful. I love it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by elena on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm
Naomi Winter Almaz is beyond stunning, well done on choosing such a beautiful name!
I love it so much :)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: naomi winter almaz it is!
by lighow on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm
thanks everyone for all the kind comments! :-D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
Beautiful name for a beautiful girl! Congratulations!!
By the way, my youngest sisters name is Winter. I think it's so cute!
Whew...finally! LOL I love the name! First great job of many Momma!
LOVE her name!
Becky
i love her name. truly beautiful. i think she will too!
one thing we gave serious consideration to (this will say a lot about us i know but here goes...) was the resume...how would Q's name look on a resume when there was a stack of 50 resumes.
naomi winter almaz's is going straight to the top! who wouldn't want to meet a naomi winter almaz!
great job - so very beautiful. i love reading your thought process also.
I love it! It really is a beautiful name. For a BEAUTIFUL girl!
Beautiful name for a beautiful girl!
I'm in love with "Winter". That is totally sophicated female!
Beautiful and Unique. Perfect :)
Post a Comment