2.08.2010

Somali Egg Crepes

I woke up yesterday thinking pancakes would be nice to go along with this snowy weather but I didn't have any pancake mix so I pulled this cookbook off my bookshelf.I love this cookbook! It has such a wonderful variety of recipes from all over the world. I need to use it more often. So, I flipped through and found this recipe for which most of the ingredients I had on hand.Close enough to pancakes! I decided to try them. I documented the process for you. First up? Sugar. Check. My sugar is brown and white because it's a mix of regular sugar and Sucanat.
Next eggs. Well, I only had egg whites so that's what I used.
Baking powder. Check. Though I couldn't find my half teaspoon measuring spoon so I had to estimate.
Cloves. Check. Improvised again.Milk. Check.Flour. Check. Only wheat flour on hand.I mixed everything up and heated up the non-stick frying pan. I used just a bit of non-stick spray and poured in some batter. I spread it around and waited for it to bubble. Looking good!Then I tried to flip it. Fail. Learn from my mistakes. First of all, don't put on the non-stick spray judiciously, trying to save calories. No, use way more than you normally would. Or switch to butter. I switched to Earth Balance. Second, make sure your batter is really thin. Once I made these adjustments, they came out great.Pretty tasty! A bit heavy on the clove flavoring, though, for my taste. I might try cinnamon next time. But, I like that they are portable, no crumbs (great for kids in carseats) and very inexpensive to make. Maybe you'd like to try them!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Yummy. I need to look at that cookbook the next time I come over.