So I'm back on line and already something interesting has happened. Tell me what you think... When I was doing online dating about three years ago I met a really interesting man. Let's call him D. D was smart, well-traveled, bilingual, handsome and we hit it off. I was really looking forward to our first date. We agreed to meet at a Mexican restaurant and to help me find him he told me he'd be wearing a blue shirt. Full of anticipation, I drove downtown and began to look for parking. Blue shirt, blue shirt I reminded myself as I waited at a red light, and just then a man in a bright royal blue shirt crossed the street in front of my car. A skin-tight, bright blue shirt on an attractive gay man. I hope that's not my date, I joked to myself. I parked the car and walked into the restaurant and there waiting for me at the table was Mr. Bright Blue Shirt. Needless to say, the date didn't go well. I am fine with homosexual men, just not as my dates. When he called for a second date, I (not so) politely declined. When asked why I was too honest and he got angry.
Fast forward about 9 months and I meet another great man online. Handsome. Smart. Bilingual. (I guess I have a type). He suggested we meet at this cool bar in the center courtyard of a museum. Chic spot. I had never been. I was impressed. I walked up and joined him at the bar. It was a gorgeous summer evening. I felt good about how I looked and I was thrilled to be having a date with a handsome man who was so interesting and easy to talk to. We shared a glass of wine and lots of laughs and I, like so many other ridiculous women, started envisioning our future children and growing old together. And then he dropped the bomb. "You don't remember meeting me, do you?" he asked. I was taken aback. No, not at all. How would I forget a man like this? "I'm D. Remember? The one you thought was gay." My mouth fell open. How on earth could I not remember? Maybe because this time he was charming the pants off of me in his sharp Italian suit? But as he sat there telling me how offended he was after our first date he did start to look familiar. I couldn't believe it. How could I have been so wrong? This man was not gay. He was damn near perfect. But as much as I apologized he was still angry and said he had no interest in seeing me again.
I was mad at myself for being so judgemental and dismissive, but it was a lesson learned.
Fast forward to this week. I get a an email from an attractive man. I read it while glancing at the thumbnail photo. Wait. Seriously? He looks a lot like D. I open his profile and look at all the photos. Yes, it's D. Many of the photos are the same. Why is he writing me? I thought I had been written off. I read the email again. It appears he doesn't know it's me. That can't be. Maybe he's playing games? I can't tell. I write him back without letting on that I know it's him. He writes back immediately. Sure, I have changed my profile but there are three photos on there. Does he not recognize me? Maybe the fact that I now say I have a child is throwing him? I write back.
His last email tonight says, "Would you like to chat and learn more? D." and he put his phone number. I used to really like this man and I must admit I would like another date with him. I mean, part of me says to leave the past in the past but then I can't help but think that men like him don't come around every day.
Do you think he knows it's me and has had a change of heart? Do you think he's playing games? Should I fess up that I know or should I wait? Should I give him my number or suggest we meet out? The goal is to get him to remember why he was interested in me in the first place and see if we can have a
And by the way, I am thinking of taking my blog in a different direction--not having adoption as the focus. I am thinking more of my life in general (eating, health, dating, traveling, etc--and how to balance it all as a single for now mom). I want to focus on --I need to focus on--finding balance. If I get a lot of comments on this post I will take it as a sign that this non-adoption topic is semi-interesting. If not, I am still probably going to change up anyway, but I would at least know someone out there was halfway interested in following along :-).




16 comments:
Oh wow, this is sounding like you guys are meant to be...don't know if I have any advice, maybe call him since he gave you his number, chat him up a bit to figure out what's going on, then tell him it's you.
Whatever you do, good luck! And please post more, I'd like to live vicariously through you!
I love reading this kind of stuff!! :-) I say write whatever you want to write about it is your blog!!
As for the date...oiy...I think I would say in email who you were, just because I don't like rejection face to face IF he doesn't want to see you again. I would probably email and tell him who you were and say you would love to be introduced again and let the past be past....
either way keep us blog people posted :-)
I don't know if he knows it's you, but my advice (FWIW) is to come clean. Remind him that you've met. Tell him that clearly the two of you have much in common and have some potential and see if he is willing to move on from an unfortunate start.
And I'll read no matter what you talk about.
Give it a try. You never know what he might be thinking, what it could lead to, etc unless you give it a try. I have an uncle, yes an uncle but he's only 36, who is well traveled, bilingual, runs marathons and works out TONS, but a lot of people think he's gay. He is SO not gay. Because of it, he is still single. He would make the most perfect husband and father ever. Trust me, once you get married and have some more kids, having a husband who can dress himself NICELY will be such a blessing. My military man can dress perfectly, in his uniform, but out of his uniform he is a unmatched wrinkled wreck! =) Take it as a blessing. He might just be fabulous with kids too. Try it!!! And for the blog, tell us it all!!! We love Almi/Naomi but a big part of her life is her mommy's life too.
dating... I barely remember what that is like...
I bet he doesn't know its you. Just a hunch. Now what will happen when you meet up and he finds out its you? Who knows... but what do you have to lose?
From one newer single momma to another- finding balance- is a great topic and discussion. In fact I struggle with it too much.
And as far as the guy goes-- If he made a second date with you to prove he wasn't gay. He's gay and still in the closet. Period. You could email and say "hey it's me! Let's hang and be friends"??!?!?!
As for the blog...just keeping writing about everything in your life. Adoption is part of it but the main thing is that you are a mom, a sinlge for now mom, and write about your interests. Love to read about your sweet girl and your life. As for the guy...I don't know. I'd tell him right away that it's you and then see where it goes.
Becky
This is a difficult one but I really love to read about you and your delightful daughter But on the other hand I do appreciate you need to find the balance and blog about non adoption ie real workstuff.
IMHO I think you should blog about both being a single mum who has adopted and also has a life.
I think I know what you are going through because in the last year since my princess was placed I have been out once as adoption has consumed me.
Whatever you choose to do will be correct choice. D
I don't trust the guy -- but don't listen to me because I tend to be distrustful. As for the blog, take it any way you like. We have the adoptive single mom thing in common so I love to read about you and Almi, but I appreciate your genuineness in general.
Stefanie
Like some others have said, it's your blog and you should do it your way. Being a single mom (and your life) is also part of your life adopting as a single parent.
However, I'm with Shannon. The one thing that concerns me is that it seems like he only made the 2nd date to make a point (who does that) and then says he has no interest after you indicated you were now interested. I just don't know what type of person would do this or even make the time to do this. Of course I could be wrong since I'm not an expert in this field but it would give me pause especially since he hasn't acknowledged that he knows who you are. Remember last time you honestly didn't know who he was but he very much so knew who you were when he agreed to meet you.
Honesty is important in any relationship so at a minimum you should come clean that you know him. After all, you don't want to waste your time or babysitting money to meet him for a date only to have a repeat of date 2.
Besides D, good luck with dating. It was challenging as a single person so I imagine it'll be even more challenging as a single mom now that there is a little one in the equation.
hmmmm!!!!! I have to agree w/Shannon and I's mom, who goes out there way to make a second date to prove a point. I would come clean and tell him who are! and see what happens.
Sounds to me, after he proved his point, that this is the not the first time someone has said he is gay or looks gay!
If that had happened the first time to a guy, I think he would have been shocked and wld have never contacted you again. The second date thing to me sounds so caty, but I cld be wrong, after all he tried really hard on the second date to charm the pants off of you!
ummmm! I like your adoption blog, but I am all for the dating/my life blog!!!!!!! sounds good you wold put it out there where most who internet date never tell........so I am so interested! :)
After reading your post twice the one thing that stood out to me is why is Mr. Wonderful still single after 3 years?
If he is all that you think he is why hasn't some other woman snatched him up a long time ago? There may be a reason why he is still single and you already know that he is into playing games( I mean why do the second date if he wasn't interested in seeing you?).
I say proceed with caution. Find out a bit more about him and try not to get too excited or emotionally involved. It could be that he doesn't realize that it's you or he could just be playing games again.
I would just be upfront and tell him when you speak to him, it's not the first thing I would say but I would mention it at the end of the conversation. Then you would know if he wanted to see you again and you wouldn't be wasting your time.
Kimberly
This sounds like a great movie story line - Seriously, it sounds like you all need to give it another shot! Something obviously makes you all cross one another's paths...again and again!
It seems odd that he wouldn't know who you are after meeting you twice in person and seeing your profile several times. That is a cause for pause. And if he knows it's you and not acknowledging it, what's that all about? Either way, there seems to be a lot of drama with this fellow and you're not even dating him yet.
Be careful. He many be testing you to see if you're desperate or how much foolishness you're willing to put up with.
It can't hurt to check out some other fellows no matter what happens with him and not put all your eggs into his basket.
Your life journey makes interesting reading, so feel free to include what you want!
I don't do Dating-Advice because I tend to cancel everybody and everything O.U.T. so I'm with StefB. And just to throw my suspect card on the table, I'd be extra extra careful with dating or bringing men around Miss Almi. Not that I'm being paranoid--I'm just saying.
PS...Do you for your 2011 blog---incorporate the menus because I've learned a lot from you and will trying what you suggest. Either way, I'm your biggest blog fan!
I don't want to sound judgemental but in some instances we know the truth ie our inner self talks to us but we rule with our heart and ignore the advice. So follow your head.
When u met mr x you made assumptions about him because of his tight shirt. If the dating was successful you would have to accept his dress sense. Are you prepared to date a guy who wears tight shirts?
Finally I think he is playing you, if he is so handsome and nice why is he still single?
Pay a vist to a hardware shop at the weekend and u
Never know you may meet. Love your blog it rocks.
Post a Comment