1.01.2011

Hello 2011 I'm Joyful to See You

Last year instead of making resolutions, I chose the word discipline to focus on. I did make some better choices throughout the year but honestly I didn't think much about the word. It was a good experiment but it was a bit too elusive. I learned that concrete goals are better for me so this year I am back to making concrete resolutions, though I do still have a word in mind.

For 2011 I am making a list of all the things I really want to accomplish and there are a ton of them, but why not?! Oh, cause I'll be setting myself up for failure? Well, I do have an extremely lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong list but my goal is to accomplish just one in each category (and just one from each parentheses). If I accomplish more, great!!! That's doable, no? I think so!

Hey, I worked up the nerve to get six inches chopped off of my hair to make it healthy and start the new year out fresh so I can do anything!!! I like it so much better! What do you think? And now, without further ado, the massive to do list my resolutions for 2011:

Work

1. Take a class towards my certification
2. Organize my classroom
3. Create a top notch portfolio for when I begin a new job search
4. Write my educational philosophy

Home

1. Get rid of all unnecessary clutter (sell/donate/throw things away)
2. Decorate Naomi's bedroom, my bedroom and organize the craft room
3. Back up all and print out some photos and hang pictures around the house
4. Do something about the exterior (landscaping/painting/deck)

Personal

1. Increase health/wellness (lose weight/work out/tone/eat clean/do weekly menu plans/meditate)
2. Be creative (write a book/learn my camera/do scrapbooking & her baby/lifebook)
3. Hire sitters and go out at least 1x month
4. Spend time with quality men (date/get a boyfriend/fall in love/get engaged/get married)

Family

1. Register Naomi in a class (dance?gymnastics?music?swimming?)
2. Create some family routines (pizza Friday? movie Saturday? church Sunday?)
3. Visit with family more frequently
4. Expose Naomi to more (travel/crafts/activities/cultural events)

Financial/Business

1. Get finances in order (create a budget/pay off some debt/make long range plans/save)
2. Create second stream of income (rent apt/start a business/tutor)
3. Figure out ways to give (donate?volunteer?sponsor?)
4. File taxes with adoption credit/finish readoption process

Don't laugh!! I realize that's 20 "resolutions" (with many subcategories) but I have a year to accomplish just 5. I can do that!!!! And I expect so much more. Call me crazy, but I am excited and hopeful.

Pumpkin and I spent our New Year's Eve together, just the two of us, and had a marvelous time. I thought dinner and a movie sounded like a fun plan so we swung by Tar-jay to pick up some food and a new dvd to go with the wine and milk back home. I settled her into the carseat and was about to put the car in reverse when she dropped something. She asked me for it so I reached for it and handed it to her. Then I took a few seconds to explain to her not to drop it again because I wouldn't be able to reach for it as I would be driving and it wouldn't be safe.

Just as I was backing out of the parking space, a car came flying through the parking lot at top speed. I slammed on the brakes with just inches to spare. That car narrowly missed us. Missed her. If I had pulled out just a few seconds earlier it would have smashed into the side of my car, right where she was seated. I gasped in horror. "Yo'tay, Mommy? Yo'tay?," she asked, with a concerned look on her face. "Yes, Pumpkin, I'm okay." I said a prayer of thanks to God for keeping my baby safe and continued the drive home, shaken but grateful.

We got home and enjoyed our dinner and the movie. Babies is so cute! I highly recommend it. There isn't any dialogue or story so it's perfect for a two year old to follow along. She was so cute. She would tell me each thing she recognized as she saw it on the screen. During the movie she said these words to me: moo, mommy, kitty, doggie, dad, baby, wa-oo (water), ee (eat), walking, hi'ing (hitting), neigh, sad, cying (crying), rock, buck (bug), ahdoodoo (cock-a-doodle-doo), jumping, whee!, seep (sleep) and many more. It was fun! Very interactive. We had a good time. I let her stay up til 9:30 and then I went back down, finished off the cookies and put in another movie.

So my word? Joy. Why? Because I am tired of b!thching and complaining about money, men, health, job, exhaustion and stress. 2010 made me a mom and for that I am extremely grateful. I have a beautiful daughter. But it was really, really, really hard. I was tested in so many ways. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how I made it through. But it is over!!! And I am glad to see it end. 2011 is so welcome! I am letting go of all the problems and sadness and worry and instead I choose joy. I am going to attack this list with joy. I am going to live in joy. Hey, I am going to get on my feet financially, get healthier, find love... how could this not bring me joy!?! And since both of our names mean joy, Joy it is!

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope 2011 also brings you lots of joy!

6 comments:

Tami said...

I AGREE...and as the famous Winans song title says: Count It All Joy.

Jennifer said...

funny we spent new year's just the two of us too. went to tarjay as well and got a movie and picked up vietnamese food. :)

Your resolutions sound good. I haven't even thought about those yet....

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to the both of you!!!!

Joy is always a good word.
As singles we have to create our own joy.

I also think your list is very doable. Handle two per month (one very important and one easy) and if you're not tired then add one more task for the month.

EnJOY!!!!
Sen :)

BTW; hair is just hair. It will grow back. I suggest a style that will make your life easier.

InventingLiz said...

I like the new haircut!

Love the idea of a big ambitious list where you can accomplish one thing in each category - definitely makes it seem more doable.

Joy to you this year!

hazel said...

Happy New Year!!

And thank you for the great Christmas update in the mail.

I wish you and Almi a year full of Joy!

Bennett said...

love the hair cut
not that u look old but it does lift your features and u look much younger....when I looked at it I thought it may have been a older picture.....

Happy New Year