A few months later, at my parent teacher conference, her teacher expressed the same concern. As I have mentioned before, her teacher is Ethiopian and so I learned that within her babbling, no Amharic words are being mixed in. Ms. E also felt that she was trying to speak English but is often unintelligible.
With another professional saying this, I began to get concerned. Neither felt that speech therapy was a necessity at this point but that I should just pay attention and perhaps seek it out at a later date.
Well, that time is now. Though I still feel she is still within normal or typical range of speech development, I have had growing concerns when I read about kids who were adopted at the same time or after who are speaking in complete sentences. She just started saying sentences with more than 2 words a few weeks ago and even now she rarely says more than 4 or 5 word utterances. Then what really propelled me to make an appointment was her little Ethiopian friend, A, at daycare. A only spoke Amharic at home and started at the daycare about 2 months after Almi. I don't know much about her family other than her mother doesn't appear to be fluent in English and Amen didn't speak a word of English when she began. Well, the other day at drop off A came and gave me a hug. I hugged her and then told her I had to go. She looked at me and said, "You have to go to work?" I almost fell on the floor. This child did.not.speak.any.English 3 months ago and here she was saying a complete sentence to me. I was amazed. And impressed. And subsequently saddened and worried. My child can't do that.
Now, I have no idea if she has been hearing English at home her whole life (through TV for example) or if she has older siblings; what I do know is she seems to have acquired English very, very fast. And so I made an appointment.
I first contacted a place that does private speech therapy because they offer free screenings. I figure even if I can't afford their prices, they can tell me if she qualifies. Then I contacted the Early Intervention people and discussed my concerns with them. They had me fill out a 6 page questionnaire which asked questions related to speech, but also gross and fine motor, social/emotional and some other category. I submitted it online and on Monday I will fax the other paperwork. They have 45 days to schedule her an appt. and review her case before they will tell me if she qualifies. If she does, they determine how often and the fee is on a sliding scale. Meanwhile the private place is going to see her next Monday.
What kills me is I used to work at a school that catered to deaf and hard of hearing so we had an onsite audiologist and speech pathologists in every classroom! I could have had the screening done months ago or at least informally asked them if her speech was developing at an age appropriate rate. And I am sure they would have offered some sort of discount towards speech therapy and since she would have been a student there, her sessions would have been during school hours.
But, that's water under the bridge. At least I have these two options in motion and I will soon have some answers.




9 comments:
Well, I have been around Almi and if she is delayed it is minor. I do know she is a very smart little one, so she will catch up fast! Don't worry mama, you are doing what you need to and she will be up to speed (in whatever form) soon.
thanks, tami. i hope so!
I am grateful for all the resources we have available these days, but sometimes I think we spend too much time worrying that our kids are doing things slower than "average" when the truth is everyone just develops at their own pace...I think you're doing the right thing to bring in some experts for peace of mind, but I'm sure she will catch up when she's ready!
I had to go through that with my daughter as well. She was over six months behind in her expressive language, but she was way ahead of her age group in everything else like the gross/fine motor and social skills. Even though she was so far behind in her speech she didn't qualify because she was so advanced in all the other areas. She needed to be globally behind to qualify for any help in my state. I was really frustrated that I couldn't get her a little bit of extra help in that area. Luckily, she eventually started talking on her own when she was like 2.5. I hope everything works out for you two and that she passes the evaluation with flying colors :)
Everything will be fine.
My suggestion is to also have her hearing tested to make sure there is no blockage.
Also; check with the public school district because they always have professionals that work with kids for free or on a sliding payment scale.
Enjoy your week.
Sen :)
Even if she is delayed.... typically they won't do anysort of speech therapy until she is 3. And it may not be a speech issue. Hearing or language could be on the menu. Don't mean to add to the list of worries.... going threw this now.
It's good you are looking into it. I think I've told you before though - at 2 1/2 Holly couldn't put any words together. By three she was using sentences. She came home about the same age as Naomi. I was starting to get worried too but it all worked out. So everything may be just fine.
thanks for the suggestions and concerns. i'll keep ya posted.
It's always good to be proactive. The upside is the pricey place will let you know where you stand while you wait on the other place. Plus you'll have a second opinion which never hurts. Hopefully, your news will be that she just needs more time. my nieces and nephews all developed at different speeds including the preemie (which it is possible that Almi was a premie) that finally surpassed his sister developmentally who was one year younger then him.
Post a Comment