I liked lots of last week's meals! We ate fewer grains and less refined sugar and for most of the week I felt good! Having three snow days probably helped my mood, too, of course! ;-) but I really think there is something to this eliminating grains thing. I feel better--less stuffed-- and without refined sugar I feel more calm. I guess because my blood sugar is more stable? Thing is, towards the end of the week both of us had some *ahem* bowel issues. It could have been the antibiotics she is on for her ear infection, but it could be the increase in dairy and/or nuts that we ate. I have read that eating more fat helps one feel better but I think we went overboard in that area. I like butter and cheese and products made with almond flour but clearly they need to be consumed in moderation (and we suck at that). Next week we will strike a better balance! There's that word again--balance!
I am going to continue to make steel cut oats for her breakfast because she really likes oatmeal and it's so easy to prepare ahead of time for her take it to school each morning. I even soaked the oats last week to make them even healthier! Apparently oatmeal (and other grains) contain phytic acid which can block absorption of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. If you soak them first it allows for better absorption of those vitamins and minerals. Did not know that til last week! Well, she liked them soaked and not soaked so I will continue soaking them. And if I can't get it together to whip myself up a smoothie or some eggs in the morning, I won't feel too too bad eating soaked oatmeal in a pinch. So it's win-win.
Dinner plans:
Sunday - pizza. I'm going to try this crust. I hope it's good. I bought store bought pizza sauce (found one without high fructose corn syrup) and will add cheese and possibly some veggies.
Monday - turkey burgers and carrot kugel (didn't make the kugel last week)
Tuesday - soup and tuna melts (gotta use the bread in the freezer)
Wednesday - leftovers
Thursday - bbq pork (will throw homemade sauce over the leftover pork and simmer)
Friday - hope to be out to make up for last week's snow interference (she can have leftovers)
Saturday - breakfast foods :-D
Homemade BBQ Sauce
1 c. ketchup
¼ c. sweet mustard
⅛ c. honey
Again, any day can be interchanged depending on mood/energy level/cravings.
Weight- 148.2 (dairy products and nuts are fattening~duh!)
Workouts - none
Vitamins - 6/7 days
Body Fat/Measurements - no clue
Joint Pain - none several days (yay!); worse on Friday & Saturdaymorning.. not sure why
Have a great week!
1.29.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Thanks for posting all the recipes & ideas. Today I made the Carrot Kugel. I made it in ramekins so we had indvidual ones to prepare as we want (hot or cold) I was not a fan of it (nor was S) but Israel ate it up cold out the fridge. I made it while he napped & put it the fridge until dinner. I tried it both cold & warm but still didn't like it too much. I will definitely make it again because he ate it (first time getting him to eat carrots - he just surprises me some of the things he eats & doesn't eat) but I might add a little brown sugar & then I think it will taste a little like sweet potato or pumpkin pie custard.
But yeah for getting him to eat carrots. Thanks for the heads up on the recipe! And he's still loving the baked oatmeal.
you're welcome!! glad he ate carrots! i need to make the kugel this week. i have a ton of carrots in the fridge. did you use the agave or some other sweetener? i'm going to try making it with honey.
I couldn't find the agave so I used Guava nectar but I like the idea of using honey instead. I made only 1/3 of the recipe and it was more than enough (2 days - it filled 4 ramekins).
Post a Comment