5.20.2009

seriously?

I went out to dinner the other night. As I was leaving the parking garage a man pulled up beside me in a brand spanking new, sparkling white Lamborghini. It looked so out of place in that neighborhood-- I mean I used to see them all the time when I lived in LA, but that gleaming car driving out of the grimy garage caught my attention.

I looked over at the man and said something about how rare it was to see such a Lamborghini in these parts and he took that to mean I was interested and started flirting. "Hi, I'm Paul Portugal," he said.
Me (trying not to roll my eyes.. I mean seriously. Paul Portugal? Did he step out of a Harlequin romance novel?) "Oh, hi. I was just commenting on the car, that's all."
PP: "Girl, I not trying to flirt with you, I was just being friendly." (yeah, right)
Me: "OK, then. Well, good night."
PP: "Well, wait, pull over and chat with me a bit."

I was about to say good-bye and drive off but was forced to pull forward when the car behind me was unable to exit the garage.. so I pulled over.
PP got out of the car and chatted me up about all his entrepreneurial exploits (yawn).

As we were chatting a cop pulled up behind his car, ran his tags and drove off.

PP: "Man, I hate that!"
Me (completely oblivious to what had just happened): "Hate what?"
PP: "That %*!# happens to me all the time when I am in this car. It's just because I'm dressed like this, all hip and cool.
Me (wondering how we had such different opinions about a late 40-something man in a white velour track suit and diamond-encrusted medallion around his neck): "Oh, yeah, I bet that'd be annoying."
PP: "It is. But it's just this car and outfit. When I am in a suit and my black convertible Bentley with the cranberry interior, that never happens."

Yes, he said that. I am not kidding. That is a quote.

Yuck.

Is it just me or do you find ostentatious men completely unappealing?
I mean, I'm not going to insist we ride the bus instead of in a date's $100,000 car, but come on.
The good that could be done in the world with a fraction of that money!
According to this study, I am in the minority.

4 comments:

Ranavan said...

ah ha ha! That is a hi-larious story.

Chrissy said...

That is classic!!!

Angela said...

He sounds like an idiot. This story reminds me of Steve Martin's movie, The Jerk.

White Velour and Medallion? I haven't seen that L.L. or Run DMC:) His name is even cheesy!

Rachael said...

LMAO, Paul Portugal?!?! What a freaking cheese ball. Clearly compensating for something!