8.11.2009

Bargain Shopping Part I

OK, seriously, I have taken bargain shopping to a whole new level! Before this year I never paid much attention to what things cost. If I wanted to go out to dinner, I did. If I wanted an iPod, an iMac or a new camera I bought 'em. Since I was never terribly extravagant (I bought my car used and I actually like clothes from the GAP, etc.) it was never much of an issue. Well, my new reality is that I am not making as much as I should be this year plus I'm about to be adding a baby into the mix. As challenging as this year is going to be (budget-wise) I can actually say that I am grateful for it-- that I can see truly see the silver lining-- because for once in my life I am putting myself on a budget and am paying attention to spending. The lessons are numerous --being mindful of waste and excess, learning to live more simply, exercising delayed gratification, understanding what it is like to be without, learning valuable habits which I can model for my daughter, etc. and it has been a humbling, eye-opening learning experience.

Part I - The Thrift Store

The old mindset is gone-the one that was 'too embarrassed' to shop in thrift stores. And let me reiterate. We're talking thrift stores not consignment shops. I still shop in consignment shops but sometimes those shops are dare I say, expensive? And besides, shopping in consignment shops is considered trendy or funky. You're cool if you wear vintage- or unique or different. But thrift store shopping is completely different. We're talking stores of the Goodwill/Salvation Army ilk. Stores where I used to donate to (still do) not shop from (unless it was for a costume party). The first time I went into one of the many enormous thrift stores in my area, truth to tell, I was a bit embarrassed. Call me elitist or snobby or pretentious but I didn't feel like I belonged in there. My mindset was still in retail. I was used to the clean, bright department stores with the impeccably dressed cashiers and a pianist in the corner giving my shopping experience a dash of cultural flair. I was used to knowing where to look to find my given size, a generous dressing room to try on my selections and having my clothes wrapped in tissue before being carefully placed into nice large shopping bags.

Thrift store shopping requires a paradigm shift. You have to throw that retail mentality out. the. window. The moment you walk in the front door the musty smell will hit you in the face and trust me it gets worse from there. There are some things I have come to expect including

* screaming children darting in and out the clothing racks
* clothes with stains or tears
* spending a lot of time looking and not having much to show for it
* dressing rooms filled with clothes and locks that don't work
* employees who don't speak much English
* cheap plastic shopping bags
* poop on the floor (OK that only happened once.. but ew!)

I know it sounds awful but it's really not. It did take some getting used to and for me that took about three trips. On the fourth trip there I didn't mind seeing the college students giving me that pitiful look of feeling sorry for me doing real shopping as they were just in there searching for an outfit for a 70s party. Was I embarrassed? A twinge perhaps but it swiftly passed because I realized they are still stuck in the overpriced retail mentality; they just don't get it yet. Maybe they won't ever, but I am sure glad that I did. Thrift stores aren't for everyone but the pluses, for me, outweigh the minuses. What are the pluses?

* the sales people aren't pushy and don't follow you around
* saving boatloads of $
* the feeling you get when you leave with your cheap plastic bag bursting at the seams

I have found some incredible deals in our area thrift stores and I almost feel sorry for the knuckleheads who haven't discovered them yet and still pay $60 for a blouse when they could have gotten a really nice one (often new ones with the price tags still attached) for $6. What started out as a way to get some inexpensive clothes for my daughter has turned into something totally different altogether. I now look in other parts of the store to see if there is stuff for me or for the house. Here's an example. I saw this nice sweater there yesterday. It's brown with pink trim. It looks brand new, it's comfortable and it has a scarf attached to it. Great for work.


Cute, huh? And it only cost $3.50! (On Mondays everything is 50% off!)


To all of you who still turn your nose up at thrift stores, I say give it three tries and if you still hate it, fine..but I am sure there will be others like me who will cross over to my side. And the giddy feeling I get when I am told what the total is will keep me coming back for more!


to be continued...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will never turn up my nose at thrift shopping! I've been going since I was a kid and we didn't have any money for new clothes. Now I go more for fun than out of necessity. I just went to Sally's and Goodwill the other day because I was in the mood to shop but didn't want to spend too much. I spent $35 on clothes and got:

-a Red Sox hoodie, a Tom Brady jersey, a Patriots hoodie, an Old Navy dress shirt, and a Thomas-the-Tank-Engine shirt for A
-an LL Bean fleece jacket for M
-a Hanna Anderson velour zippered hoodie, a Lands End skirt, a Gap skirt, a ballet skirt, and a Children's Place skirt for R

I am very picky about what I will buy at thrift stores- no dated, stained or torn items. But I'll buy things there that I would NEVER pay full price for, like licensed character or sports team items that my kids love that are great for play clothes. I also went to the Goodwill and got about 70 books for about $30. You're absolutely right about how much stuff is either brand new or hardly used- the book section is a perfect example. There are about five copies of any given bestseller novel there that you know someone read once and didn't have room to keep in their house.

The funny thing was that I had THE CREEPIEST guy ask me out at Goodwill when I was there the other day. Like, Ted Bundy creepy. I was wearing my wedding rings and had R with me, so you'd think that would clue someone in. Before asking me to dinner, he asked if I came to Goodwill a lot and said that he came at least once a week, so it looks like I'll have to find a new Goodwill to shop at, LOL!

kn said...

OK that is totally cute! I love it.

I married into a thrift shop family - the entire family loves thrift shops and let me tell you they are the most stylin family i know.

For them - it's the hunt.

You'll have a much better use for your money than buying new clothes every 4 mos as she grows!

Tami said...

Well you know I love thrifting and I am all about the labels. I've gotten Chanel, Gucci, Theory, Lily Pulitzer, Escada and all the big names for dirt cheap plus the best vintage ever. I find one of a kind home items. It is all about the hunt, not to mention I can't afford to shop like I once did with Baby I coming. It both necessity and the thrill for me. I still do retail but sparingly because I find everything thrifting and freecycling it is amazing.

Jebena said...

Hello, I go by the name Paisley, and I'm a thriftstore junky! I totally love thrift-stores, garage sales, Goodwill...I keep a full supply of Mrs. Meyers Clean Day and clothes pins!!!!