
I love summer! To me it's the best season of the year hands down. I love water. I love swimming and beaches and pools. I love boating and kayaking and jet skiing. I love the weather, the sunshine, the warmth, the lazy days with no job to go to, not having to set an alarm and staying up until I'm tired. I love ice cream cones on hot days and sundresses and ceiling fans. And I love summer meals --especially the fruits and vegetables of summer... corn, nectarines, cherries, strawberries, etc. Yum-my.

So the other day I purchased 3 pints of strawberries. I know strawberries; they don't last long, even if you don't wash them. This morning I looked in the refrigerator and realized I still had two pints left and decided today was the day to make Strawberry Bread.



I read about Strawberry Bread on someone's blog last week and it sounded so good (hence the huge strawberry purchase). I had never heard of it but I love zucchini bread and banana bread so I figured it had to be good and this morning I made some. I had to tweak the recipe a bit because I didn't have any applesauce or sugar. I rarely bake with sugar so I used
Sucanat, substituted plain Greek yogurt in place of the applesauce and added more strawberries.
I had a slice while it was still warm. My version was very moist and just a tad sweet. Very wholesome! Delicious for breakfast or dessert, by itself or with some butter and jam. Try it!

Strawberry Bread (my version)
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 and 1/2 cup of strawberries, washed and sliced
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup Sucanat
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a larger bowl beat together the vanilla, eggs, Sucanat, oil and yogurt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat until fully combined. Fold in the strawberries. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
3 comments:
looks absolutely yummy!!
There is nothing like freshly made bread. It looks DE-LISH!!
I definitely trying this one.
Post a Comment