12.09.2008

Holiday Music

I love Christmas music, especially traditional carols and hymns. The church where I grew up has a lovely Christmas eve service which starts at 10:45 pm. Near the end of the service, when it's almost midnight, all the lights are dimmed. The church, a very grand neo-Gothic structure, seems so small and intimate when only lit by the twinkling of candlelight. As the congregation sits hushed in the pews, we quietly begin singing Silent Night, with no accompaniment, while on bended knee. It can literally bring tears to your eyes it's so beautiful.

Although I haven't hung a single decoration or sent a single card, I have started to get into the season by listening to some holiday music. As I type this I have The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Canon playing in the background from my iTunes. It is so beautiful.

So tonight I am thankful for cherished Christmas music and the memories they evoke.

(If I had the time, I'd figure out to embed a link here but I don't. Sorry.)


NaBloPoMo #9 theme: thankful

No comments: