7.29.2011

We Are Here!!

After three long fights we finally arrived at our destination around midnight and were met by an employee at my new job. Almi was very good on the plane and I must say that business class made it so much easier. We were dropped at our new apartment which is a 3 bedroom 3.5 bath, plus maid's quarters (she also has a full bath) in a modern condominium building with a gym and an infinity pool. I am quite happy with the apartment even though I prefer an open floor plan and more light and to not be so high up. We are on the 38th floor and there are floor to ceiling windows in every room. The view is quite spectacular but it is very, very scary!


So, quickly, here are a few highlights of life thus far:


1. I hired a live-in nanny and she is working out alright. She isn't Ms. E or even the neighborhood teen age sitter we loved but she is OK. She seems honest and seems to care about Almi so that's enough for me to keep her around for right now. She also cleans and cooks. Her cleaning skills seem fine but her cooking could use some work. I don't really have the time to show her and my cookbooks are still in transit so for now we are making do with what she can make. I was disappointed because her previous employers said she was a fantastic cook so I was expecting these sumptuous meals every night and that is so not the case. But I can say it is nice to not have to do the dishes or the laundry. I do miss Almi a lot though and want to give her her bath and tuck her in at night when I get home from work so it's quite nice to have the luxury of just getting up from the table to do that and come back to a clean kitchen.


2. My new job is going to be very, very busy. I can tell that already. At least, though, I can feel like it's worth it to work hard because I have a nice home and hired help and money can be saved. It makes me a lot less resentful. Our facilities are fantastic and I am excited to be working here.


3. Almi has been asking to "go home" and to see her friends and it breaks my heart. I know she will be much happier when she starts school. Right now she spends most of her time hanging out with the nanny and she doesn't have many of her toys so I know she's a bit bored and missing her old life. A colleague in my building has a 2.5 year old son who she said is also very high energy and we are going to go in on a swim teacher who can come to our building and give our kids swimming lessons. We are also both interested in a dance/music class for our kiddos as well as gymnastics. There are actually quite a few families in our building with children so I will be setting up playdates for Almi quite frequently.


Well, that's about it. Our new life in Asia has begun and sometimes I feel like I am in a dream and will wake up and return to life in DC. but I am happy I made the leap and am excited for what's to come.

9 comments:

Eihpets said...

Yea! I'm glad you are getting settled. I'm sure Almi will love her new friends once she gets to school. It sounds like a great move for you.

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you posting again! Your apartment sounds amazing. I'm happy to hear that Almi is adjusting. I look forward to hearing more about your life in Asia.

K

InventingLiz said...

Sounds great - so glad you are doing well!

Laurie said...

Welcome back! So good to hear of your progress...

one + one said...

how exciting!! so glad things are going well. :)

msiplin said...

So happy u r getting settled and back to blogging even if it's just snippet

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you!
Your apartment looks really nice
and its great to hear things are working out

annie

Anonymous said...

Hey there you two women of adventure---keep us updated and with photos!

Jebena

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!!!
Keep us updated when you can.
Sen