7.19.2011

This is My Last Post

We leave Wednesday morning. And you know what? I still doesn't seem real!!! Am I really going to start work on Monday at a new job in a foreign country???!!! It is so odd to think about but I have never been busier in my entire life so I really haven't had the time to think much about it. I am going through the motions of packing and paperwork and running around to the passport office and Embassy and selling stuff and storing stuff but without excitement or trepidation or sadness or curiosity. My focus is purely on the things on my to do list and that has kept me so occupied that my brain is too full to feel emotions. It's the weirdest thing.

This week has been extremely busy. Here's a small taste: calling the moving company, scanning and emailing documents, meeting with a cleaning company,picking up Almi's passport, getting a safety deposit box, buying a book on airports, selling a couch, putting stuff on Freecycle, taking things to the thrift store, purchasing last minute items,washing clothes, backing up my computer, buying teaching gifts, spending time with friends...

I am telling you, it has been no joke and more than once I found myself annoyed that I didn't have a spouse to take on half of the items. Seriously, there was more to do than was humanly possible for one person to do, especially someone who finds it hard to ask for help and to delegate.

As I type I am realizing that as much as I need or maybe want to document this phase, I really better get back to work. I have one day left to do touch up painting, sell my car, back up my hard drive, get documents authenticated, sign the contract with the management company, finish packing, finish emptying my house, charge batteries, etc.. and I'm so sleepy!

So I better go. This is my last post from my desk in Washington, DC. I may post again soon after we arrive or I may wait until my new blog is up and running. Or I may just continue to post here as usual. I don't know but I'll figure that out when I have time to think about it!! For now, I am going to focus on my list and hoping that I get some sleep tonight. It's 12:30am now? I project I will be done by 4. Ugh. Wish me luck!

Our journey ahead is going to be long and taxing. We are taking three flights. If you are the praying kind, please pray that we travel safely to our destination and for us both to have a seamless readjustment. And while you're at it, please pray that she is on her best behavior in the airport and on the airplane! Thanks, I appreciate it.

Until next time,
L&N

30 comments:

meredith said...

I will keep you both in my prayers for safe and speedy travels. Praying that you both adjust to your new surrondings quickly.

Here starts a new journey with your little girl. Take Care.

Abraham said...

You a strong woman Laura, and a great mother. You will get through this challenge. BTW this handsome and charming African man is dying to marry you... :)

Jebena said...

L, you never have to ask us to pray--we just ask that you believe and trust God and receive HIS peace. Although we eagerly await your next blogpost, we truly understand that it is more important for you and Almi to absorb the next chapter of the journey well rested!

Take Asia on in God's speed, full of adventure and in Grace!!!
\0/ cheers!!!!!

StefB said...

Best of luck and safe travels, Laura and Almi!

Stefanie

Liz said...

Good luck with your travels!

Anonymous said...

Safe Travels! The best part about getting on that plane is the exhale. There is nothing else you can do that you already haven't done.

Praying for a fun, restful and memory filled travel. Wishing you the best in this new chapter.

Megan

Jennifer said...

Best of luck to you. I will definitely be thinking about you and Almi in the coming days. Can't wait to hear more once you arrive at your destination.

InventingLiz said...

So very excited for you! Safe travels, and hope to catch up with you again on the other side!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, praying! And if Almi is not on her best behavior, don't sweat it! I have found that in my travels, the people who get upset by it well, tough, and the others understand, and get very helpful. We have travelled often by long flights at different ages, and being a single mom has come in very handy - I think people are more likely to offer help :) AND, here's to hoping you get through security quickly - usually, the officials come and grab us and take us to the front of the line so that D doesn't get all riled up in line :) BEST OF LUCK!!! Hope to hear from you soon! Sending good vibes and praying :) Leo

Eihpets said...

Safe travels to you both! You've been an inspiration to this new single mom and I hope you have a great time on this new adventure!

kn said...

I'm going to pray for good behavior as if that happens for you everything else will fall into place.

Godspeed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

Oh, is this day really here?
I wish you a safe travel and a smooth transition!
And I really hope to hear from you again!
((Hugs))

Dori said...

Prayers going out on your behalf, friend! Hope you have smooth travel and that the beginning of this new adventure gets off to a terrific start for both you and Almi.

Laurie said...

Good luck and great adventures! I will miss reading your blog-for now ;-)

KGChrissy said...

Save travels and best of luck in Asia!

Anonymous said...

Your "Blogger Sista Girlfriends" have always kept you in our hearts and prayers.

Remember:
The WILL of God will NEVER take you where his Grace won't protect you!

Don't look back! Smile and keep it moving.
Looking forward to a new post about your "new life".

Blessings and Hugs to you both...
Sen :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog as I was doing research on single parent adoption. I have been following along since before you traveled to Africa, and have enjoyed following your blog and life with your little princess. I am sooo excited for this next phase of your life! Wishing you safe travels and a quick and a smooth adjustment to Asia.

Hopefully you'll find the time and desire to keep blogging (I love how you keep it real)! Best wishes!!!!

Krissy

I's mom said...

Can u see the light? Your almost there in the final stretch! Safe travels and I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on your new adventure!
Looking forward to hearing about it!

annie

christinaandamina said...

Good luck and safe travels! This is the beginning of an amazing new adventure for the two of you! I am more than a little bit jealous! :)

hazel said...

You did it!!

You are an inspiration for following your dreams...and for surviving that TO DO list!!

I look forward to reading your next blog post. I hope you guys had a wonderful trip and are settling in and catching up on sleep.

Jennifer said...

Hope you are all settled in and everything is going well!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Hope you and Almi are well settled in by now!
Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!

annie

Asiaha said...

I hope you and your baby girl are doing well! :)

Laurie said...

Miss you- Come back soon...

Laurie said...

come back soon-We miss you...

Sarah Elizabeth said...

miss you! how are you both growing and adjusting to life abroad?

I's mom said...

I hope that you two have are arrived safely and are settling in well.

Anonymous said...

I hope you and Almi have gone through the initial post move stress. I hope your both settling in and a smile is appearing on both faces!

It must have been so hard for you both with all the travelling and I hope you are enjoying the weather as you have more adventure near by.

Anyway well done you have followed your dream and have taken life's opportunity.

I do hope you return to blogging but if not I understand take care. Give Almi a massive hug no doubt in the last two months she has grown.

Take care
D

D