7.05.2011

Happy 4th of July



I was supposed to be home packing on July 4th, and I was, but that evening I ended up down at the Washington Monument for fireworks. I had a couple of friends over when the idea that we all hop in the car and drive down to see the fireworks was presented. Considering I am two weeks from moving out of the country, it seemed like the perfect DC patriotic activity, especially when I realized that I have never been to the Mall to see the fireworks in the eleven years I have lived here. How on Earth is that possible? It was fantastic! I am so glad we went!


We lucked out and found a very close parking space right downtown, Almi was on her best behavior and the display was spectacular! We got terrific seats right front and center. It felt like the fireworks were exploding right above us the entire time and towards the end we even got rained on with fireworks debris! The weather was perfect (again!) and it was really nice to spend time with old friends. We put down our blanket and Almi got right to dancing. It drizzled for a few minutes, just enough to bring the humidity down a bit, and stopped in time for the show. Almi was prepped about what she was going to see but she was certainly taken off guard at first.


She wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first but when I pulled her on my lap to reassure her she said to me, "It not scary, Mama." She ended up loving it and when it ended asked me, "Where the light go?" I told her they were all done and she asked, "Why?" :-D We all had a great time!!

Look my foot, Mama!





No comments: