7.10.2011

Checking Things Off/Travel Tips

The movers are coming in less than 24 hours. Gulp.

Thankfully, my friend is watching Almi and having her spend the night tonight and two other friends offered to come down and help out this afternoon. I have done a ton in the past few days but dang there is STILL SO MUCH!

I hired someone to:

move all my furniture I want to keep down to the basement
caulk the tub
hang three fire extinguishers
buy and hang new blinds in the window where one was missing
fix the two cosmetic issues with my car that would have impacted resale value
put locks on doors
change my A/C filter
fix the faucets
fix the toilet
tighten the doorknobs
hang an additional smoke detector
fix an electrical outlet
and fix the skylight

Next week he is coming in to touch up paint and then I need to hire someone to clean the place from top to bottom.

Meanwhile, I have been diligently checking things off my list but today all I am going to do is pack. (Ok, we did go have breakfast and swim this morning but it was quick and Almi had to say good-bye to her Godmother!Besides, I convinced myself that a relaxing morning would motivate me to be productive this afternoon.) So now she is off with another friend and I am going to spend the next 7 hours packing. I am almost at the point of throwing out/donating everything that's left (or throwing it all in a box and sorting it in two years like my neighbor suggested). It has just about come to that. I do have some time left so I am going to pack until 9:00 pm and then what's left goes to Goodwill or in the trash!! (And I can reward my hard work with an episode of House Hunters International!)

Come Monday afternoon the only things I want to see around me are things that will fit into our suitcases because when the movers leave I need to head out and buy a flight harness, toddler headphones for the portable DVD player and a book or DVD on flying on a plane. I am also flirting with purchasing one of those toddler leash thingys. Before I became a parent I used to frown upon people using them, but the anxiety I am feeling when I think of traveling alone with my energetic, curious, stubborn child is making me very, very nervous! I have the assorted new toys that I will wrap individually like crayons&paper, stickers, dolls, manipulatives and books. I will pack snacks and the DVD player. And the longest leg of our flight will be in business class (thank you future employer for that perk!) so the flight shouldn't be too, too awful (praying) but the airport experience is freaking me out!!! She is just so darn curious!! All tips appreciated!

I will contemplate it while I pack. Meanwhile, feel free to weigh in...

12 comments:

KGChrissy said...

There's a dvd series called "Good little traveler". My Dad used it when he flew to Trinidad with my little brother who's 3 years old. I don't know if they sell it in stores or not but, I do know they sell it on amazon. I hope this helps! http://www.amazon.com/Good-Little-Traveler-DVD-Toolkit/dp/B0009I860E

Single PAP said...

thanks for the suggestion! i will see if they have it at the store where i'm buying the flight harness.

Betty said...

I have been following your journey with your daughter and yourself for some time. My name is Betty and I live in Osoyoos, British Columbia in Canada. I would love to follow you on the next leg of your journey.. You're doing things I would never thought to do (in my younger years!). I am a 64 year old grandma,mom and wife who has been way too cautious for most of my life!
I wish you safe and happy journey and hope that you will allow me to follow you around the world. Your little daughter is so pretty and has an awesome smile.
Bon Voyage

Single PAP said...

Aw, thanks, Betty. I am starting to get a little bit nervous about it but am forcing myself to expand outside my comfort zone. There will be trade offs though for sure. I will blog as long as I can and then most likely start a new one sometime this fall after we get settled. Be sure to leave me your email address so I can let you know where to find the new one.

Abraham said...

Miss you all so much Laura...I wish I was there to help during this time. Say hello to Almi..."Where she go?" :)

Anonymous said...

The toddler leash thingy did NOT work for my then 19 month old son when we were in the airport. He kept pulling down on it, sometimes sitting on the floor when he did not want to go where we needed to go. I highly recommend an umbrella stroller as I think it gives parents better control with a wandering toddler.

K

Single PAP said...

then stroller it is. thanks for letting me know, K!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I wholeheartedly second the umbrella stroller! When my little one was 13 months old, the leash thingy worked great, but at 2.5 years old and now, the umbrella stroller was what e needed, especially since it gave her a little cozy place to snuggle into when she was tired. I would just hook the carry on handle to one of the arms of the stroller and pull as if it was a train :o) She loved it!
By the way, I am SO IMPRESSED with how much you have done! Wow! :o) Leo

Jebena said...

I have used the toddler extender (leash) that looks like a poodle-backpack...Songbird understands why it's necessary to "clip it on" and does well with it. GET ONE but test it out a day or two before leaving so that she understands what's expected of her when the extender is attached to her. Be very firm with her keeping it on and don't back down from her following directions/following through with keeping it on. If it brings you peace of mind, that's one less thing traveling as a single Mom.

*****So excited as if I was the one heading out*****

Single PAP said...

hmm, jebena, you are making me think. i think i will pick one up because she may want out of the stroller and this will bring peace of mind. also may be useful while doing mini daytrips through crowded streets/train stations, etc.

Jennifer said...

You might want to pick up one of the leash things just to have. we have one that looks like a little backpack on her. i haven't used it much but you might find you need it if she won't use the stroller for whatever reason.

i once lost holly (thankfully very briefly) at the airport so I have NO qualms at all about leashing her. safety first!!!!

there is always that point while packing where you decide to just toss or donate the remainder. don't worry about it - just do it. a weight will be lifted.

Anonymous said...

I'm so appreciative of all the thoughtful tips for Laura from kind blogging friends. Thanks and hurray for you all!

Bravo to you, La!!!!

Love...
m