I don't get Almi's passport until Monday, two days before we travel. Can we say "down to the wire?" Come on, everyone say it with me: DOWN TO THE WIRE!
I couldn't apply for it until her readoption was completed and since that just happened on June 30th I couldn't apply through the mail because that takes 6-8 weeks. I needed to get it expedited but you can't do that until you are within 14 days of travel. And they assign your appointment time. So today was our appointment time, this morning at 11:30 and I had to bring Naomi. You know bringing her anywhere is a crap shoot in terms of her behavior but thankfully this morning she was pretty well-behaved.
Do you want to know what I brought with me to apply for the passport? Take a look at this list:
* her final adoption decree, certified
* a copy of her final adoption decree
* her Ethiopian passport
* her resident alien card
* her social security card
* a copy of her social security card
* copies of her original Ethiopian paperwork
* my passport
* my original birth certificate
* a copy of my original birth certificate, certified
* the DS-11 passport application filled out in black pen only (picture me tearing through my house this morning searching high and low for a black pen and how annoyed I was when I kept finding blue ones)
* 2 passport photos
* my travel itinerary
* my confirmation number
* my checkbook
* Almi
Yeah, all. of. that. But I did what they asked, of course, and look forward to being able to check securing Almi's US passport off the list!
7.15.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
DOWN TO THE WIRE!
DOWN TO THE WIRE!!!!!! Wow, I'm so glad that's done! I guess the last thing to do to get EVERYTHING finalized for the adoption is the certificate of citizenship? WHich of course you don't need for your trip so that's just an extra for later? You're leaving so SOON! Will you two have a chance for a little bit of down time before leaving, even if it's just an hour or so at the play ground or something? How is Almi taking all the things gone and all? Is it kind of making sense to her that you guys are leaving? I know you don't want to continue much this blog once you get there, but will you tell us that you got there safely at some point? Hang in there for the last few days! I won't be online I think right before your departure (going out of town, I think right at that time), so I want to wish you now a WONDERFUL TRIP to both of you, a WONDERRFUL arrival, a WONDERFUL settling in!!!! and man am I impressed with your stamina and organzation! It's been amazing to follow! Take care! And hope to see you soon in the other blog (I had mentioned I didn't want my e-mail address showing in that post where you wanted us to leave our contact, but that might be easiest for you to get to us who wanted? If so, just let me know, and I'll add another comment with it :o). Warmly and excitedly, Leo :O)
DOWN TO THE WIRE!!!! You seem to be handling it. Whatever doesn't kill us; makes us stronger. Your last weekend in the USA!!! Enjoy, shed tears and laugh loud but NEVER look back. God has so many Blessing in front of you.
Sen :)
Down to the Wire Indeed! I would be so full of anxiety at this point trying to make sure all bases were covered. This ol Canadian granny is tired just reading your list! The best of everything to you and Almi and God speed you on your journey. I look forward to connecting with you on the flip side!
Betty
What a good feeling to be done w/ one more thing. That was close. We just got our sons passport & wasn't sure how long it would take. Thankfully it came in time. Gotta love the red tape! :) Blessings ~ Jen
Post a Comment