7.01.2011

June Update

June was very busy! Almi's birthday! Last day of work! My birthday! Packing! Paperwork! Readoption! Family in town! Friends in town! Not a moment of relaxation but it's all good.

But if I can, for a moment, just focus on Almi, here is what I would say about her in June:

Height: 38"
Weight: 38.5"

She is now in the 75%ile for height and 95%ile for weight. Since her last appointment in December she has gained 2¾ pounds and grown--get this!-- 4¾ inches! Amazing! The doctor proclaimed her to be very healthy and developing appropriately. I am so grateful! The doctor kept saying, "I like you" "(to her) because she was so compliant in the doctor's office. She really, really loves going there. And like last time, she was disappointed that she couldn't get a shot! She is too funny. Even funnier though was this: I made a wrong turn getting to the doctor's office and I had to do a U turn in the street. Almi asked me what I was doing and I explained to her that I got lost but we were now heading the right way. This little mix up made us about ten minutes late for the appointment so when we arrived I told her to walk quickly because we were late. "Let's go, Pumpkin. We need to hurry! We are late because we got lost." Her response cracked me up! She said, "I no got lost, Mommy. You got lost, no me." LOL Very true, little smarty, very true.

I continue to hear from friends and strangers that she is "so happy." I love this because I certainly get my share of waterworks from her. Little Diva!!! I have been getting compliments, too. People say things like, "she has come a long way" or "you are doing an amazing job with her" or "she is so happy because of your influence" and that makes me feel really good.

She got her final report card and the comments section said this:

"Naomi has an energetic attitude towards school. I appreciate her enthusiasm. I have enjoyed having Naomi in my room. She is outgoing, cheerful and well-liked. We will miss her next year. We hope that you enjoy our new home. Good luck!!!"

We are going to miss Ms. E soooo much! She has been a wonderful teacher to my daughter but she has also become a friend to me. She is like family. I can't type more about it or I will start to cry... Here she is with Ms. E's niece on an outing to Baltimore's Inner Harbor (Ms. E. took her for the weekend! We love you, Ms.E!)

Would you just look at those cute girls?? Ms. E told me that her niece said, "I just love Naomi. I really just love her." It's killing me, I tell you. They are like sisters. Naomi gets to be with an Ethiopian family who really, really love her... No more! I feel awful if I think about it too long. Seriously, I could never imagined what a wonderful situation this was going to be for us.. *tears*

Here are some tidbits about my girl in June:

1. She has no fear. None. She loves water, animals, heights, new foods, crowds and meeting new people. She also seems to have gotten over her fear of loud noises for the most part, though she still gets upset with loud sirens. Nothing scares her though she now requests to sleep with her door open and a light on. However, I suspect this has more to do with her trying to have light to see so she can keep on playing in her crib.

2. She loves cinnamon. She asks me to put it on her bananas, apples, desserts and even cereal. Just so you know, cinnamon on Rice Krispies is quite good actually!

3. She is extremely social. This is good because I am quite shy and forces me out of the house and into situations where I am meeting new people. She prefers to be out of the house and going-going-going all day long.

4. She doesn't require a lot of sleep. She can stay up really late even without a nap as long as there is action and something for her to see or do. She is a night owl and can sleep in pretty late in the morning.

5. She says caterpillar like this: cadapider. Sooooo stinkin' cute!!!

6. She now uses "peez, Mommy, peez!" to get what she wants. Man, that cute face is hard to say no to but usually I can hold my ground.

7. When we get in the car she either says, "Mama, I wanna dance" or "I wan shi shi shi" which means she wants me to turn on the radio. Shi shi shi is her variation of the sound of swish, swish, swish --the wipers from The Wheels on the Bus. I used to play that every time she was in the car and she started saying that to request that she wanted to hear that CD. She also loves Coldplay. She calls them Co-pay. Heehee. And she loves, loves, loves to dance! Go Almi! Get it, girl!



8. When I get hurt or if something is wrong she will say, "Oh, I sowee" and give me her little sad faced look with lips down turned. Little sweetie.

9. When we leave in the mornings and I am locking the front door, she will stand there and hold the door for me. She started this on her own and it is so helpful because usually my hands are full. So thoughtful!

10. She is getting her pronouns mixed up but it is so darn cute. For example, my friend (a male) was over and left the room for a moment and Almi said, "Where her go?"

11. She loves dresses. When I put one on her she'll spin around and tell me she's a 'rincess. Yes, Pumpkin, you are a princess.

12. She is a really, really heavy sleeper. I let her fall asleep in my bed each night and then I go in and transfer her. She never wakes up. If she falls asleep in her clothes I can change her into her pj's and she won't wake up!

And finally, can I reiterate that she is super, duper off-the-charts energetic and mischievous with a capital M. I can't leave her alone for a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: