7.07.2011

Chicken!

That's me I'm referring to -- as in chicken with her head cut off. I am running around like crazy!!! Frantic - stressed - overwhelmed - anxious - exhausted - confused - nervous - spent!!!

I can not believe all the details. And yes, I should be doing them instead of blogging but I have to record all the drama so it's all there for my future book/movie deal. I swear, all of the details and stress, albeit self-imposed, are a sight to see. If my life pans out the way I'm planning it could be interesting reading.

So what kinds of things am I doing and why don't I have someone helping me? Trust me when I tell you I WOULD IF I COULD but, well, most of it isn't the type of stuff I can delegate. I have to be the one filling out forms and notarizing and sorting through stuff to pack. If I had a husband he could split packing or paperwork but friends and family really cannot.

Just in the last two days I have had to run to FedXKinkoz to get some paperwork printed and scanned. My printer at home ran out of ink and it doesn't have a scanner so it's in the Goodwill box. I printed paperwork from the movers and scanned my tax form from the IRS. I reviewed documents required, made phone calls, sent numerous emails, applied for an EIN number, hired a management company and got our passport photos done. Most of the time Almi is at school but she had to go with me to get her picture taken. We had to wait for them to be processed and trimmed so of course my curious bambino wanted to climb and touch. She was better behaved than she has been in the past - at least she didn't run off ! - but it was naughty enough for three people to comment on it including the especially rude and cranky elderly woman standing next to me at the self check-out. How did she put it? Oh yes, I remember: "Someone needs some home training." Being equally cranky and rude I responded with, "Someone needs to mind her own business." Ok, not my best moment but come on, really? She's three. She wasn't throwing a tantrum or screaming or running around wild. She was being curious and ignoring my requests to stop touching. The nicer comment came from a kind woman about my age. She said, "She is just like my daughter. It's the age." Thank you sweet woman. You made my day.

What else? I went down to vital records to pick up her DC birth certificate but the person in charge of adoptions wasn't there. Come back tomorrow I was told. I tried to make an appointment to get her expedited passport but you have to be traveling within 14 days. "I am," I implored but was informed they don't count the day of travel and to call back the next day. I went to the post office to pick up the passport application and discuss my PO Box. While talking to the clerk about my options, someone rudely shouted out, "THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE IN LINE HERE!!" Must be the heat.

What else? I went to the thrift store to find a white t-shirt for Almi to tie dye at school on Friday. Found a pair of Capris for me and two pairs of cute shorts there for her as well. I made a list of what needs fixing and scheduled the handyman to come on Saturday. I ordered some metal straws and a book on Unschooling online. And I figured out my 6-year plan. Most people do a 5-year plan but since international teaching contracts typically have 2 year commitments I did a 6-year plan (more on that later). I baked some chicken in my Crock and did laundry. I watched a couple of episodes of House Hunters International (I know, I know! I don't have time but I am addicted!! But no more until after the movers come)... and the movers. Oh the movers... That is what is taking up an inordinate amount of time as well as you can imagine. They are packing me but I need to remove from each room what I don't want them to pack. I was told since they get paid by weight they may not be terribly careful to leave behind the things that are supposed to stay in DC. I was told by some international travel types to put everything I want to remain in one room. That sh!t takes time!!!

The movers had originally told me they were coming today and then they said they'd let me know. Thing is, they didn't-- that is until they called late Wednesday afternoon that they would in fact be here Thursday at 8am. Um, no, please! I begged them for one extra day but that day was booked but Monday it is so I must get back to packing!!!!!!

This moving overseas thing as a disorganized, single mom with a house full of stuff and an adopted child is a sure test of wills! Oh, speaking of wills I need to do one of those, too. And fill out my insurance forms, authenticate our birth certificates, and set up online bill pay, and change Almi's name on her social security card and buy some probiotics and toiletries and purchase travel insurance and sell my car and, and, and....

Breathe. Two weeks is a really long time, right?
Tell me it is.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hang in there!!!! I love house hunters international too! I'm sure you needed that break.

Anonymous said...

Breathe!!!! Take a nice bath and have a glass of wine. Everything is going to be okay.

Sen

Single PAP said...

thanks jennifer. i'll try! HHI is awesome but i am not allowing myself to watch anymore this week!!

Single PAP said...

bath? wine? ahhh.. sounds lovely! i hope to do those both!

Laurie said...

Good luck from Laurie in SF!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I had the guts and come back to say "someone needs to mind her own business!" I think that was way cool to answer. Sometimes, that's what some folks need :) And sending you lots of energy for the next two weeks! :) I'm starting to get sad that you won't blog for a while. Will miss you dearly! and will think about you a lot! :) Leo

InventingLiz said...

You can do it! I was just worried that the title of the post referred to you chickening out of this grand adventure...

Anonymous said...

Omg only approximately 12 sleeps before you leave!.
You can do it you have already listed the tasks so everything will fall into place.
Do try to take time out each day for yourself maybe 30 minutes a day as you time to do nothing regardless of what tasks need to be done.
Dont stress one way or another you will move.
Don't forgot to reach out to family and friends to assist.
I am so excited for you and Almi a new chapter is coming.
D

Jebena said...

D is right---don't forget to reach out to family and friends to help you. You don't have to do it all by yourself even if it's asking someone to do the smallest task on your list. Release some of the stuff to someone else---allow that someone to be a blessing to you.