7.11.2011

Moving Day

They're here as I type this. I can hear the man in the room next door to me ripping tape and wrapping and stuffing boxes. I am actually doing this! I am really moving to Asia in 9 days.

I sure hope I didn't go over my weight allowance of 1800 pounds. When they came to do the estimate they said it was about 1300 pounds so I added a few things. I hope I didn't add 500 pounds of items (well, I am sure I didn't) but the final weight is done at the dock and I won't be there to supervise so I won't know what they determine the final weight to be for another week or so.
People keep asking me if I'm nervous, and almost as often, if I'm excited. Strangely, I am not nervous. I love new adventures, I love traveling, I love trying new foods, etc. so knowing that this is ahead is more exciting than nerve-wracking but I'm not all that excited either. I guess I am too busy to be excited. I am sure when I am on the plane and can finally breathe a sigh of relief that my moving checklist is complete and am perusing my RoughGuide I may begin to get excited. And probably nervous as well. I am most nervous around things that surround Naomi. Will she be confused/sad/scared/depressed? Will she like her new nanny and school? Will she make new friends? Will she like her new room and new city? Will she have separation anxiety, nightmares or any other emotional or physical changes? And if so, how long will they last?

More than anything I am just tired. This has been overwhelming and unbelievably taxing and
I start my new job in two weeks. So much for a relaxing vacation! I am beat down (though I imagine waking up at 4:30 this morning could have something to do with that!) I hope my new building has a pool and I can lay out every day and soak up some sun and chill.

Well, he's done up here so I guess I better go downstairs and supervise the final stretch and deal with the paperwork.

*** edited ***

Well, that's a wrap. There's no turning back now!!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Naomi seems pretty adaptable to me. I'm sure there will be some transition issues - but I think she will ultimately do fine.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about moving overseas (as a single parent) with my 2 1/2 year old next year and I, too, am concerned about how he will react especially since he has regular contact with his grandparents. I almost accepted a job in Germany, but I knew we were not emotionally ready (at least I wasn't). I'm curious how Almi adjusts to the new life overseas. Looking forward to reading about it.

K

InventingLiz said...

Hope you have a little chance to relax now before the next stage of the move! Good luck with everything!

Twinkle said...

I think with you standing beside her, she'll be just fine.

one + one said...

Wow! Wow!! Nope, there is no turning back. lol Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Laurie said...

Good, good luck- and safe travels. What an adventure!!!

kn said...

Good luck and safe journey! I'm so impressed and a bit envious. No matter what it will be good for Almi. She will adjust and learn to see the world in a unique way. What a blessed thing to be able to give her. I hope you have a sweet landing and that the beginning of the school year goes smoothly. Cannot wait to read more.

Jebena said...

WOW!!! You're really leaving!
I ditto what kn said. I'm impressed, envious, and excited all wrapped up in cyber cheers. Almi Winter will be just fine---yes, she'll go through a mild depression for a minute or two, but that child's charm and zest for adventure will take over in no time.

...can't wait until your next posting. . .see why you can't stop blogging?!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear more. Blessing and safe travel to you both.

Sen

D said...

Isn't it amazing how quick those guys can pack up a whole house?