Moving abroad and having a cook is such a wonderful benefit and it also means I can completely revamp how we eat and that is what I intend to do. Following the 80/20 rule, I am going to menu plan so our meals prepared and eaten at home are healthy. If Naomi has crackers at school or a cupcake at a birthday party I am not going to sweat it. Likewise, if I have some bread when out at a restaurant or some dark chocolate I'm not going to beat myself up. I am going to strive for eating clean and healthfully 80% of the time.
So what does this entail exactly? Well to begin with we are going to eat as many organic foods as possible. I already do this in that I only buy organic foods in the "dirty dozen". I've already got that down so it won't be difficult to maintain.
The other things I plan to implement (most days) are:no processed foods
no high fructose corn syrup
no soy or corn products (unless I can find some not genetically modified)
no dairy products with rBGH
no peanuts
no CAFO / fast food meats or eggs (i.e. only grass-fed)
no wheat
no white potatoes
no white sugars or artificial sweeteners
no dyes, chemicals, additives, preservatives, etc.
This may sound rigid, but it's really not. Different? Yes. More time and preparation required? Yes. More home cooking? Yes. It means we will eat mostly meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, coconut and olive oils, and sweets made with maple syrup, Stevia or honey. It's healthy, enjoyable, beneficial and manageable. Yeah, I am going to miss regularly scarfing down cereal, pizza, cookies and ice cream but we can still eat a large variety of foods and with the luxury of a cook I can inform her of what is allowed and what is not. That should make it easier and I am motivated to try to fully reclaim my health! I have already been feeling a lot better and my doctor is baffled at how my "disease" didn't progress as she had expected. I fully expect that I will look and feel even better with this new plan and what am I waiting for? Seriously. Do I want to start this when I'm 60? Moving abroad is the perfect starting point and I am excited for the results.
Meanwhile, I need to eat up all this food in three weeks!!




4 comments:
Wow, that´s a lot of food for 3 weeks. Dinner party would be a great idea! :)
And about your diet plan - I think it´s great! I plan to do something similar soon but have to research a bit more. Can you please tell me why soy products and peanuts are no good?
This is a great post - I might try to move our diet in this direction as well. I was also curious about why no soy. I'm allergic to it anyway but still I thought it was supposed to be good.
that should have read no genetically modified soy. from what i've read 95% of the soy crops in the US are genetically modified. and again, i'm not going to kill myself to be perfect. i will be putting soy sauce on my sushi.
peanuts contain lectins and are carcinogenic. but again, an occasional peanut butter cup will probably be eaten. it's easy not to eat them though as i prefer sunflower nut butters for sandwiches and with fruit and almonds are so yummy.
Methinks the food bank is due for some celebrating!
What I hate about significant moves is all the spices and oils and whatnot that can't go along...:-(
Post a Comment