6.22.2011

Today is my Birthday!*updated*

I told Pumpkin that when I went into her room this morning. Her response? "It's my birthday." I said, "No, it's my birthday today." "No, it's my birthday" to which I replied, "Well, I can share my birthday with you" which made her very happy. She is very excited, of course, that this means there will be birthday cake later and then she gave me the greatest gift ever: she sang happy birthday to me! Awww... so adorable! I loved it!

More birthday updates later. We love birthdays around here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update: My day was mostly unproductive because I wasn't feeling well. Bummer. I did get a chance to run to the thrift store and pick up a cute dress for Almi for less than $3.00 and I took a guilt-free nap. Later I went and had Thai food with a friend. Yummy! Hard to imagine that in a few short months the Thai food I will be eating will be authentic!! I look forward to trying really authentic curries, sushi, stir fries and other foods from various Asian countries. As much as I wish and dream we were going to Africa I am going to embrace this Asian experience and take full advantage of all travel opportunities. But tonight, we had Thai in Silver Spring, MD and Almi was very, very good in the restaurant. She has come such a long way with eating out. I no longer fear taking her out to eat places (once we are seated-lol) which is a huge relief. We had planned to eat outside and listen to live music but we missed it so we moved inside where it was much cooler.
After dinner we walked around for a bit and then got some frozen yogurt. We enjoyed it outside because it was a lovely warm evening. The days have been very humid and in the mid-90s making the evenings perfect. I asked the waiter if the weather in Thailand was similar to DC and he said the dry heat here makes DC much more manageable. Seriously?! He thinks we have dry heat in DC?! I am in for it! More yogurt will be required!

As full as I was from my sesame beef, spring rolls, drunken noodles and Pink Pussycat cocktail (vodka, grenadine and pineapple--had to record that for future) I shoved in every bit of my chocolate yogurt concoction. I love FroYo and what a clever concept: self serve yogurt machines with a toppings bar and then pay by weight. Wish I had thought of that! Almi loved her strawberry banana yogurt with pound cake and blueberries though I think she enjoyed throwing away the trash for us and the strangers seated near us just as much as the yogurt itself!

It was a lovely evening of simplicity and living in the moment. We even took time to catch, examine and release (unharmed) fireflies.

Another birthday has come and gone and I certainly feel older with this new age. I can't really claim youth anymore but I do have wisdom and clarity and peace of mind and I am realizing my dreams so I can't complain. I honestly can't wait to experience what this next year has in store and I am so blessed that I am able to bring my Pumpkin along for the ride! It was a very nice birthday and a wonderful first day of summer! Thanks for all the kind wishes.

11 comments:

JJ said...

Happy Birthday!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Wishing you a fabulous day and a great weekend. May GOD grant you all of what you need; most of what you want and hugs for the rest. :)

Sen

Rachel said...

Happy birthday!!

Shawn said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are having a wonderful day!!

Asiaha said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you enjoyed your day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! :o) Hope you two had a blast :) My little one LOVES singing happy birthday now, and she sings it for many days after the birthday happened (for whoever's birthday it was). Very cute. Leo

Jebena said...

Happy Birthday Soror! Sending you 1908 cyber pink tea roses nestled next to ivy that has been draped with twenty pearls as I hum our hymn Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc style! Enjoy!!!

meredith said...

Glad you had a nice birthday. How nice of you to share your birthday with Almi :)

Jennifer said...

Glad it was a wonderful evening!!

I hate to say it - but the humidity in Vietnam was like nothing I have ever experienced and I am familiar with the heat/humidity of Louisiana in the summer....

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday i hope you had a lovely and enjoyable day. You deserve it. Anyway looks like you and " I am all grown up Almi had a ball"

D