6.23.2011

Moving Checklist

I went to the liquor store this morning to get some boxes. "Come back at 4," I was told. Sure, but no reason I can't leave with a nice GewΓΌrztraminer right now.

Man!!! We leave in less than a month! Leftover Thai, packing lists and packing boxes: this is my world today. I got some moving tips from helpiammoving and WomanSeeksWorld and emove. I combined and edited their lists to make it pertain to my overseas move. I love the internet.

4 Weeks Before the Move

* Settle any outstanding bills.

* Set up online bill pay.

* Create an inventory list of items you want to move. Separate moving items into categories, such as "moving", "storage" "disposal", "giveaway", and "garage sale".

* Back up your computer hard drive.

* Finish the readoption.

* Change Almi's name on her social security card.

* Check to be sure you have all appropriate insurances on house.

* Hire movers.

* Hire management company.

* Begin packing items that are to stay Stateside.

* Take care of remaining doctor's appointment and request records to take with you.

* Post big ticket items to Craigslist.

* Cash in Swagbucks.

* Order items from Amazon (adoption picture books, sunflower nut butter, metal straws, etc.)

* Purchase items that match Almi's sheets from T@rget for her new room.


3 Weeks Before the Move

* Cancel magazine subscriptions.

* Plan and hold final yard sale.

* Write a will.

* Get hair colored.

* Get passport photos taken.

* Apply for Almi's passport.

* Get our birth certificates authenticated at the embassy.

* Get a safety deposit box for important documents.

* Open new bank accounts to do automatic deductions.

* Pay up on the PO Box for the next year.

* Have a going away party.

* Get all things fixed around the house.

* Purchase travel insurance.

* Confirm your moving schedule with your new real estate agent or landlord. Arrange interim accommodation if needed.

* Purchase all items suggested I bring including toiletries, hair products, prescriptions, adaptors, etc.

* Upload all photos to Flickr.

* Set up new email address.

* Figure out international calling plans, MagicJack, etc.


2 Weeks Before the Move

* Cancel Netflix and gym membership.

* Return all things to stores for which you still have receipts.

* Drop things at Goodwill or arrange for a pickup.

* Create an inventory list for each box while you’re packing. Attach it as you pack. Make a copy for every box.

* Organize for final reading from utility companies.

* Get additional locks get put on kitchen/basement door to storage area.

* Upload all CDs to computer.

* Take Almi out of the crib at night and get her used to sleeping without it.


Final Week Before the Move

* Arrange for a postal re-direction service to the PO Box

* Cancel your bills and any monthly direct debits.

* Get cards and presents for Almi's teachers.

* Download all music onto iPod.

* Notify your bank that you’re leaving. Close any accounts with monthly fees.

* Double check you have all the documents you need and ensure they are in a safe place until your departure.

* Hire someone to clean the house from top to bottom.

* Plan for Almi's needs for during and after the move including medication, food and entertainment.

* Collect your spare keys and give them to the real estate agent or new tenant.

* Be sure you have all documents required (birth certificates, immunization records, adoption records, social security cards, medical & dental records, living will and testament, academic records and diplomas, bank information, management company information, tax forms, etc.)

* Do final laundering of all clothes.

* Make a plan for getting to the airport.

* Use any remaining food in your refrigerator/cupboards. Donate the rest to a shelter.

* Cancel alarm and all utilities.

* Defrost and clean refrigerator.

* Sell the car.

* Pack your personal luggage. Hand carry jewelry and valuable documents yourself.



Day Before and/or Moving Day

* Check all the cupboards before you leave.

* Strip the beds and place linens in luggage.

* Double check your luggage to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.

* Confirm your flight and check in.

* Take five minutes to stroll around for one final check.

* Drop keys in the mail for the management company.

* Take picture outside of the house to record the day.

Have I forgotten anything?

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just don't think I could do it.... Good luck with it all. Let me know what's going on with the going away party! And let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

susan said...

I would recommend that you also draw up some documents for your parents or a sibling or someone trusted that enables them to act on your behalf with regard to your house, etc. I drew some up just when I went to Ethiopia (because there was no clear end-date) that basically said that he could make decisions on my behalf regarding my car and my cats during my absence. I actually needed them (car got towed, which happens all the time in town, hence why I did it). I think it was called a temporary limited power of attorney. I also left my family with authenticated copies of my birth certificate and living will, figuring if something horrible happened, it would be easier for them to fed ex them to me than to try to re-create them. (Those, thank goodness, were not needed.)

It might be helpful, since you're retaining citizenship, to have someone here who can help you with the legal stuff that comes up when you're gone.

And I could never, ever do what you're doing. I'm getting hives just looking at your list.

Jebena said...

1. Get box of Kleenex to cry.
2. Take one last final picture of Almi outside the front door to have for her once you two touch down.
3. Make a cement mold of her hands and feet and leave it somewhere in the garden or with your Parents.
4. Leave your forwarding FPO/APO address with some of us cyber-sistahs so that we can send care packages as you two will need some surprises every once and awhile.


....I'm off for the summer and if I could, you know I'd be there helping you!

Anonymous said...

I'm tried just from reading the list. Good luck!
Patience and a smile is the key. LOL!


I have two suggestions:
-Stay at a cheap hotel the night before you leave. You can clean your house and do a walk-thru and be done.
-Make 2 copies of your important document; one to carry around with you while traveling thru Asia and a set to leave with your parents.
-I wouldn't cancel my Netfix account; you may need movies while there and dont forget to downlown your fav's to your computer for the plane ride.

Sen

btw; don't forget to buy Almi's some hiking/tennis shoes.

Anonymous said...

Yes, tickets there no mention of putting them in pocketbook or has we say in the Uk your handbag!!!

The moving tasks appear awesome but exciting.

Thailand is a beautiful place, the people are fantastic and warm. In tourist areas can be a bit seedy but u will have a fantastic time. If you ever visit bangok do organise a day trip to Ratchaburi Market out of this world.

I am so pleased for you, you are making your dreams a reality. I am trying to change my life and it will happen in the coming year.

Do

Jennifer said...

You sound way more organized than you look! lol!

Rachel said...

You can do it, You can do it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think I would curl up in a ball in a corner and wait. But then again, nothing would get done.

One thing I was surprised about was waiting 3 weeks before leaving to apply for Almi's passport. I would do that right away, as one never knows how much time it could take.And I would pay the extra cash to make it expedited. I'd hate for you guys not to be able to travel because of passport problems, and I'm the kind of person that will worry about it until it's in my hand.

Best of luck! Leo

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, the pics were hillarious! I had to laugh :)
I had a question - how do you find these jobs abroad? Is it that you are a certified tecaher here? Is it that you epeak english? How did you go about finding these jobs? I'm wondering hmmmmm, I would love to start browsing, if only to dream!... but I have found that to brouse gets the possibilities going,and has more chances of getting to reality (not that you have time to answer or anything lol - maybe once you're there are all settled in and relaxed and all :o) Best of focus to get everyting done! :) Leo

Single PAP said...

thanks for all the additional suggestions. and leo, i can't apply for her passport until i complete her readoption but living in DC i am pretty sure i can get it very quickly when i'm ready.

KGChrissy said...

woo just reading your to do list made me exhausted. lol

Sarah Elizabeth said...

TIP: Please take a lok at Vonage. http://www.vonage.com/ (I am not paid by them or anything) just after years of living abroad we discovered it last year and LOVE it. You pay a monthly fee, get a phone number from the US of any area code you wish and take a little black box with you. You plug it in to your internet and a regualr phone and then your family and friends can call you as if you were stateside and you can call them for FREE as much as you want. It has made connecting and reconnecting with my family so nice as moms don't have time to sit at the computer-they need to chat while they make lunches, fold laundry and handle life. Good luck with your move.

Single PAP said...

thanks sarah elizabeth (that's my niece's name btw!). i will definitely look into that!!