6.02.2011

Monthly Update




Did I skip a month? That is entirely possible with all the chaos over here!

Latest and Greatest and Other Tidbits

* The two words I hear all the time when people are describing her are "happy" and "busy". I love hearing that when I am away from her that she is a happy, happy girl. And busy?! Yeah, I know all about that!

* Her crazy academic daycare has finished with shapes, letter and numbers so now they have moved on to sounds! I am not kidding. My two year old can tell me the sounds of most of the letters. This has nothing to do with me whatsoever. I have talked about letters a tiny bit but it would never have even crossed my mind to have my toddler work on letter sounds. I give all the credit to the daycare. As developmentally inappropriate that it may be I have to say I don't really mind. This surprises me because when I registered her I was so annoyed that this daycare wasn't play-based but I have to say it is so amazing to see what she is learning. I kind of wish she was staying to see where it could go. I mean, the logical next step would be to start sounding out words. Today I asked her what sound c makes, what sound a makes and what sound t makes and she knew them all. If she knew that putting those together would make 'cat' she might find that kind of cool. They told me when I registered her that she would learn to read by age 4 and I believe it now! Alas, she is leaving and as surprising as it is to admit, I am kind of disappointed about that. I may decide to just teach her at home. I certainly will have time next year, but there is no rush. If she learns in Kindergarten that will be fine, too and in the meantime I will just continue to read to her at night (and point to the text as I read and ask comprehension questions afterwards -- LOL!!!)

* She actually told me the other day at mealtime that she had had "enough" !!! Progress!

* She is such a climber and has no fear. Not a good combination! She scares me!


* I see some hair growth! Just a little bit but it is oh so adorable! Love the little spirals!

* She is into making nonsense words and sounds. She does this all day long. She has developed quite a bit of language so I am not sure why she does this. Before using her words she will make grunting sounds or some other unintelligiable sounds to get what she wants. I don't know if she is playing with the language, pretending to be a baby, thinks it's funny or there is something else going on. It doesn't really make sense since I think she is quite bright.

* She talks a lot about families. She is always pointing out the "mommy" and the "baby" in books (the bigger one is always the mommy). She also talks a lot about daddies and sisters.

* She is constantly telling stories or bending the truth. Sometimes I think she likes to be just be a storyteller and she is such a comedien that I think she also says things just to make me laugh. Some examples are:

1. Once she told me they celebrated her birthday at daycare. She told this elaborate story about the cake and how they sang happy birthday to her.

2. While eating dinner one night she told me she could see a man with orange skin and orange hair crouching down in our dining room. She said he was mad and then later she told me he went away. (I totally believe in ghosts though and that children have the abilility to see things we don't so I don't know what to say about that story exactly).

3. The other day I slipped on some water she splashed out of the bathtub and I hit my knee. I screamed out in pain and crouched down to nurse my wound. She said, "I no push." I said, "I know, Pumpkin, you didn't push me. I just slipped on the water." She said, "No, the toilet push you" and pointed to her potty. Too funny!

* She is really good with our morning routine. I will get her dressed first and then dress myself while she goes to play or watch cartoons. When it's time to wash her face and do her hair I will call her and she will come right in. She doesn't complain at all when I wash her face and rarely when I style her hair. I guess it helps that it doesn't take too long!

* She has amazing bladder control! She has been potty trained for months and hasn't worn a diaper even at night for at least 3 months and I can't even remember the last accident. This bladder control includes outings and long car trips. I almost never have to take her to use a public restroom and we could easily drive the whole way to Pittsburgh (4 hours) without stopping--except we have to stop for me!


Likes and Dislikes

She still loves coloring, stickers, dancing, being outside, climbing, singing, eating, watching movies, bread, pizza, cheese, ice cream, candy, cake, cookies, dandelion seeds (the ones you blow in the lawn), lipstick, almond milk, bananas, butter, almonds, noodles, running, jumping, dogs, cats, taking baths, swimming pools, parties, dresses, being with her friends, SpongeBob & Hello Kitty, hide 'n seek and hugs & kisses (though sometimes she says, "Enough, Mommy, enough!" when I kiss her too much but I can't help myself! Those cheeks are so yummy!)

She does not like peppers, onions, mushrooms, processed meats, having her hair washed or when friends leave to go home.

And me? Oh you don't really care about me? I know, she's the reason you read the blog but I will just tell you this: I love being her mom. She is such a great kid! And that's all. :-D

Well there's a little update. Fifteen months together. Time flies, I tell you and she is growing up way too fast. My baby stage with her was waaaaay too short!! I love this age and it's so fun to be able to communicate with her but man I miss my little baby! :( I am already mourning the fact that soon she will be too big to carry and soon she won't want to snuggle with me. Sigh. Ok, going in to her room now to go stare at my sleeping babe for awhile and give her a kiss.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Holly has amazing bladder control too - it shocks me...

I miss my baby too - my girl is almost 4!!! I think this is why people end up having another baby. :)

Single PAP said...

Ha! I think so too! It's almost making me consider it!

Anonymous said...

Time is flying!!! I can't believe she likes lipstick; too funny. Are you thinking about adopting another child? Nice!
BTW; another single mom blogger is moving to Asia (China) with her 2 diva's to work for Disney for 15 mths. Is everyone moving overseas? Did I miss the memo? LOL!

Enjoy your weekend! Blessings!
Sen

Anonymous said...

She is a little treasure, I love seeing her smile it is therapeutic. I know what you mean about children growing up so fast. Itvstill feels like yesterday since Almi was placed with you. Where has the time gone to?

D

kn said...

I love these updates! I wish I had bladder control like that!

She'll want to cuddle for a long long time. My 8 year old is still a cuddler, but I miss the baby stage a wee bit sometimes too!

Laurie said...

Enjoy very minute of every stage of her life. At the risk of sounding like a Hallmark card, every age is equally wonderful, just in different ways! They all go by so ,very quickly. It feels like yesterday that I had a three year old and now she is 13!