6.11.2011

Well, It Seemed Like it Was Going to be Fun


Part 1

Last night was her awards ceremony. I figured there would be a performance. I was looking forward to it all week. Her teachers said to dress her in a white dress and party shoes. She didn't have a white dress so my mom and I did a quick run to the thrift store and found a new dress with the tags still on it for $10. It had some pink on it but hoped it would be fine. I dropped it off at school with her party shoes and some white socks.

The performance was to start at 3:45. I got there about ten minutes early and the room was already packed. I found a seat and sat down and started chatting with some of the parents when the director called me over. "Ms. E made a boo boo," she said "come out in the hallway so I can speak with you." Gulp. What did that mean? I nervously stepped into the hallway where she informed me that I was printed in the program as being a presenter of the academic awards. Um, excuse me? "Yeah, Ms. E forgot to tell you." Uh, yeah, she did. I was in jeans and a T shirt, no make up and my hair was having a field day with all the humidity!! A presenter?? I glanced at the program and was daunted by the last names on the program in front of me: Mulugeta? Bierne? Sarkozy-Banoczy??? I had no idea how to pronounce some of them! I went back to the room to find some of the parents to ask them how to say their children's names (didn't want to mispronounce it for all the videos that were being taken) and tried to smooth my hair down as best I could. Then a whole crop of new questions came up in my mind: Was I handing out awards? Where did they want me to stand? Did they want the applause held to the end? I stood up to go out and find the director but at that moment the 2 year old class came filing in. The program was ready to begin.

Part 2

So cute. The two year old class went first. They sang songs and were just adorable, of course. Almi sang a little bit.



But she also frowned. And talked. And ran around. And left her seat to come find me in the crowd. Several times. And I was OK with that. She is only 3 after all. But that was just the beginning... (and I don't know why they took off her white socks.. but that was the least of my concerns I discovered)

Then there were the awards. First I got up to give the awards for the three year old classroom (turns out all I had to do was read names and I think I avoided butchering most of them) and that was fine. Sure, she hopped out of her seat at the end and grabbed my leg but that was fine. Kind of cute, even. Then they recognized the parent volunteers. Then someone else stood up and gave awards to the two year old classroom. She got several!

She got awards for:

* I Know the Alphabet
* I Know How to Spell My Name
* I Know How to Count to Ten
* I Know How to Count in Spanish

Instead of sitting with all the other children though, she jumped up and down and made noises the whole time. She suddenly was not shy. In fact, she was front and center and in everyone's videos. Her teacher tried to get her to sit. I tried to get her to sit. She was having none of it.

Oh, what else, you ask? Let's see. She took the mike and started singing into it. She danced wildly while the other kids sat quietly. She and another child starting hitting each other.



At the end of the program the director of the whole school got up to thank the families and the teachers. This is a quiet, religious man and he always interjects God and faith and gratitude. Everyone was quiet and listening intently to his words... oh, everyone except Almi. She continued her antics. But this time it was very hard for everyone to hear. She was loud. She refused to sit in her chair. She refused to sit with Ms. E. She refused to sit with me. She wasn't listening to anything either of us said and it was hard for everyone to hear. "Please take your daughter on your lap," I heard her teacher say. I tried but she was squirmy. And then she started saying, "I want to get down!!" in a loud voice, so in respect of all the other families I threw my daughter over my shoulder and carried her out of the program kicking and screaming and crying.

Part 3

I was embarrassed. Yes, it was hot and yes she gets overwhelmed with crowds and being on center stage and she thinks she's being cute and funny. I know, I know, she's three and you can't predict or control toddler behavior all the time and to her she was just having fun for the most part. It was my turn I guess, but W.O.W. She sure chose a terrible time to do it! Did she have to do it in front of all those parents???!!! Man. I couldn't even go back into her classroom to face everyone. And I had whispered in her ear that she better settle down or we were leaving and I had to follow through. So we left. Didn't collect her awards, didn't have any cake, didn't celebrate with the families. Instead we went home. Later Ms. E called me on the phone. "What is going on with our girl?" she asked. "Ever since turning three she is not listening! I tried to get her to sit and she would not." "I know, I told her, me too. Sorry". We chatted for awhile and then she said that I left before the parent volunteer awards so I didn't get mine. "No, I was there for that," I told her. "Oh," she said, "well I guess we forgot to mention you but yours is here on the desk. You have been very involved, bringing things for the parties and at the Halloween parade and at the Christmas party. We wanted to recognize you." "Thanks," I told her and shortly afterwards we hung up. Wow, I didn't even get public recognition after that spectacle. Oh well.

The plan was for Almi to go to Chuck E. Cheese with a colleague that night so I could get some packing done but I told her I couldn't in good conscience send her out for pizza and games after her choices. I didn't want her to get mixed messages so instead we stayed home.

And there you have it. The Awards Ceremony. I sure hope this isn't foreshadowing for her entire third year!
.........................................................................

Please tell me what your children have done to embarrass you? Someone's gotta have a story to top mine!
And what would you do at drop off on Monday? Apologize, laugh about it or pretend it didn't happen? Feel bad for me? Vote for my blog at Circle of Moms. Placing in the top 25 would make me feel better! :) Thanks!

5 comments:

susan said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Selam has pulled some numbers, but you really got put through the wringer.

Not to point fingers, but seriously? an awards ceremony for 2 and 3 year olds? That's asking an AWFUL LOT of little ones!

I think you handled it really, really well. Maybe this is your one misbehavior for the whole year of 3 and the rest is going to be smooth sailing?

Sha Zam- said...

Susan is right- too much for that age. And knowing my post institutionalized baby as I do- I would have skipped it completely as any room with a bunch of strange adults simply overwhelms him and the charm and look at me's cannot be contained. I can handle it with a flask.... You did good. And if she hadn't done that- it would've been someone elses kid stepping up. no worries.

Jebena said...

Yeah, I'm riding two-deep no sleep with Susan with the awards ceremony for 2 and 3 year olds...wtf 'n y?

Yeah, Songbird can compete with Almi. How about us going to church with my brother (Ethio-Orthodox Tewados Church) and right in the middle of prayer by the Priest, after much wiggling, squirming, and finching, Songbird scream-sings out,
"It's Friday, Friday", "Mommy I like that song---let's sing it Mommy." "Mommy, you going to sing?"

**I took a deep breath and pretended we were ALL in-vis-a-ble** hehehehe.

Cheer up --- anyone judging you or Almi based upon an awards ceremony can go spread rocks on the beach!

*****Love how she channelled Beyonce/Sasha Fierce and handled Lil-Kelly Rowlands with the microphone----LOL*******

Chrissy said...

Oh my!! :-) 3's are rough! I can say as B is turning 4 in a few months...the meltdowns, temper tantrums in the super-store, the list can go on!

I don't think you can predict how they will act in a different environment but you did the right thing- and I am sure they are use to it :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am a single adoptive parent, living in Vienna, Austria. My Ethiopian girl is 6 now but I had exactely the same scene at her kindergarten-summer-party when she was 3. Your story reminded me so much of my girl :) So there is no need to worry or to be embarassed - I can tell you: It gets better from year to year. By now my 6yr. old is really well behaved in public. Well. Most of the time :)
All the best to you guys, Heidrun.