2.22.2011

It's Gotta Go!

I have too much stuff. My problem is three fold:

1. I buy stuff (stockpile) when things are on sale to save money. Toothpaste on sale? I buy three tubes. Art supplies on sale? Can't have too many of those. Great book recommendation? Awesome! Amazon makes it so easy to ship it directly to my house. See a great gift for someone? Purchase it months before Christmas or their birthday.

2. I am sentimental so I save things like old photographs, greeting cards, old love letters, skinny jeans, artwork from students and tickets to Broadway shows.

3. I have a home with space for it to pile up

Well, enough is enough. I am committed to clearing it out! I am convinced that a cluttered home is the cause of so many problems in life. You get stressed looking at all the stuff everywhere, you lose money when you can't find things, you waste time looking for things, you get injuries tripping over stuff, you spend too time trying to organize it all, etc.

But a home devoid of clutter and excess stuff would mean not only the above issues would be eliminated but also that I could spend my time doing what I want to do in a relaxing, Zen environment. Ahh.. the thought of it even kind of relaxes me.

My plan was to do these 26 projects. I blogged about it earlier in the year. This was the plan:


1. Stain all frames, furniture
2. Print out photos to hang on my walls
3. Hang said photos on walls (and one taken by professional photographer as well)
4. Make a headboard for my bed
5. Paint my bedroom
6. Decorate Almi's room
7. Hang curtains
8. Donate/sell books
9. Sell bookcases
10. Sell futon
11. Sell mirrored chest
12. Organize craft room
13. Move all harmful products up high
14. Hang the fire extinguisher
15. Sell shoe racks
16. Organize shelf in closet
17. Organize linen closet
18. Donate kitchen stuff
19. Create vision board
20. Move bookcases from Almi's room to the den
21. Make my bedroom a cozy sanctuary
22. Put felt on the bottom of the dining room chairs and create dining area
23. Donate Almi's highchair and give back crib
24. Donate/sell outgrown, outdated, not loved clothing (mine and hers)
25. Hang artwork in various rooms
26. Go through all boxes


I have accomplished a few items from the list. I started my vision board. I advertised the mirrored chest on Craigslist but the first two flakes interested buyers didn't show up. I Freecycled some kitchen stuff. The rest is in a box to take to Goodwill. I Freecycled a bunch of her clothes and a bunch of mine. But now I have a new plan. Get rid of most of our possessions. I'm not kidding. I can't take it anymore!

I have been reading minimalism blogs like Miss Minimalist, my current favorite, and blogs that inspire like this one where this couple sold everything they owned in preparation for a trip around the world. I'm inspired! I'm excited!! I'm on board! My plan is to get rid of one box or bag each day for the rest of the month.

It can go to the consignment shop.
Or to my porch for a Freecycler.
Or to Goodwill/Salvation Army/Thrift store.
Or be purchased by someone from Craigslist.
Or to my trash can out back.
Or any other way but each day one box or bag or piece of furniture must be removed from my home.

No time like the present!!! Today is February 22 so that gives me just one week of implementation and then I will reevaluate and decide what needs to be done come March.

Good-bye seven bags of stuff! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post and perfect timing for me as I plan to move. I have been getting rid of a lot of things but like you - I have saved all kinds of sentimental stuff. I will check out the blogs you mentioned.

Dinner soon - friday?

How was your date??

Melissa said...

Awesome. Good for you. There's huge freedom in not having stuff. I had a box of mementos, and I took pictures of them for a scrapbook page and then chucked the box. That hurt a bit, but seriously, it's so easy to collect. I'm in a minimizing habit now, have been for a while and it is awesome. I bought myself a Kindle in the fall, and am going to sell most of my many books on Amazon (want some ;) ?). It's a gooooood thing!

Anonymous said...

Good for you....
I don't know about anyone else but I have to have a completed bedroom or I can't function properly. The other rooms of my home can be a mess and I will take one room at a time to clear them but not my bedroom.

Enjoy your day.

Sen

InventingLiz said...

Ugh, I have the exact same problem - too much clutter! And I totally agree, it saps my energy and makes it difficult to get anything done...yet I have such trouble getting rid of it.

You've inspired me to keep at it, and I'm going to check out those minimalist blogs too!