I posted that video on her hitting cause I wanted to document it. We have worked on it and she rarely does it now but I'm glad I had my camera available when it happened. I wondered if all children went through a stage of hitting. She never hit me before she went into daycare so I wondered if it was a learned behavior, developmental or something else? For one, it was a good lesson to me that no matter how good of a parent I think I am, no matter how great my classroom management is as a teacher, no matter how well-behaved my preschool students were in the classroom, no matter how many times I shook my head when I saw other people's children acting up -- it all changes when you are a parent. They test you. Children test you. Period.
But I also wonder all the time how much of this is adoption related so I have been rereading articles on attachment this week. If I compare what we experienced in Ethiopia to what we are experiencing now, I would say in the most simplest of terms that she was not attached then but she is now. But I can't really be sure. Friends comment on our great attachment. But as the excerpts below indicate, a child may look attached and not actually be.
Children who are adopted after the age of 6 months are at risk for attachment problems. Normal attachment develops during the child's first two years of life. Problems with the mother-child relationship during that time, orphanage experience, or breaks in the consistent caregiver-child relationship interfere with the normal development of attachment. There are a wide range of attachment problems that result in varying degrees of emotional disturbance in the child. One thing is certain; if an infant's needs are not met consistently, in a loving, nurturing way, attachment will not occur normally. When the first-year-of-life attachment-cycle is undermined and the child’s needs are not met, and normal socializing shame is not resolved, mistrust begins to define the perspective of the child and attachment problems result. The cycle can become undermined or broken for many reasons:
· Multiple disruptions in care giving
·Post-partum depression causing an emotionally unavailable mother
· Hospitalization of the child causing separation from the parent and/or unrelieved pain
· Parents who are attachment disordered, leading to neglect, abuse (physical/sexual/verbal), or inappropriate parental responses not leading to a secure/predictable relationship
· Genetic factors
· Pervasive developmental disorders
· Caregivers whose attachment needs are not met, leading to overload and lack of awareness of the infants needs
My daughter has been with me since she was 21 months of age. But before that she had multiple care givers and lived in several different places. She lived with her biological mother for quite some time and from what I read about her story I wouldn't be surprised if her mother suffered from post-partum depression. I don't doubt for a minute that her mother loved/loves her, but the circumstances were extremely difficult and if one is considering adoption I imagine you might try to keep some emotional distance between you and your child. I can't speak for her and since my agency doesn't facilitate introductions between bio and birth families I never got the opportunity to meet her and talk to her unfortunately, so I can only speculate about the level of attachment they experienced.
After relinquishment, Almi experienced multiple care givers until I came into her life in March. I have been consistently in her life since then, but she was in an orphanage longer and she was with her mother longer. Should I really assume at this point that she is attached to me? Why would she be when in her experience I am just another caregiver. Sure, she calls me mommy and gives me hugs and sometimes cries when I leave but does she really know, really know, that I am here to stay? Thinking about changing her caregivers again by possibly putting her in a new school in the fall is stressing me out. I still haven't come to a decision about that. Sure, it's more convenient for me and it's cheaper for me but is best for her?
So how does one distinguish the difference between a child who "looks"attached and a child who really is making a healthy, secure attachment? This question becomes important for adoptive families because some adopted children will form an almost immediate dependency bond to their adoptive parents. To mistake this as secure and healthy attachment can lead to many problems down the road. just because a child calls someone "Mom" of "Dad", snuggles, cuddles, and says, "I love you," does not mean the child is attached or even attaching. Saying, "I love you," and knowing what that really feels like, can be two different things. Attachment is a process. It takes time. The key to its formation is trust, and trust becomes secure only after repeated testing. Generally attachment develops during the first two to three years of life. The child learns that he or she is loved and can love in return. The parents give love and learn that the child loves them. The child leans to trust that his needs will be met in a consistent and nurturing manner. The child learns that he "belongs" to his family and they to him. It is through these elements that a child learns to love, and how to accept love.
You can read the whole article here.
How much time is necessary for attachment I wonder? Is 4 months enough time for an adopted child to attach? To trust? To feel secure? I like that she is independent and expressive (and yes, this includes acting out) because in my mind that means she is becoming secure. I think she knows being disciplined for hitting doesn't mean I don't love her or won't stay but rather that hitting is wrong. I really do think she loves me and trusts me, but as a natural worrier I have my doubts and without bio kids to compare her to I have only my own instincts to go on. Deep down I think going to a new school will be ok with her, especially if I keep a babysitter from her old daycare, and I will be right down the hall every day. That should help. But I don't know for sure. I am going to use my beach vacation as time to think and reflect on it. When I get back hopefully the new site will be built so I can see the physical space and meet her new teachers and if I like it, and if there is still space available, I will look at as a sign to go ahead and make the switch. Dang! This parenting thing is hard work!




12 comments:
I think a mistake that I made - and maybe you are making too, I suspect from your question about "is 4 months enough time to attach - the mistake is thinking that attachment is something that you achieve and check off the list and then move on. It's an ongoing process, over a long period of time...she may be attached to you now but that doesn't mean you can let down your guard or stop doing things to promote attachment. Someone pointed out to me that attachment parenting is just good parenting, period, whether you have bio kids or adopted kids - and as someone who struggles with attachment myself, I am inclinded to agree (I'm the oldest of 6 kids, four of us born within five years, and I can only imagine that my mother had a hard time meeting everyone's needs in a timely fashion!).
Elfe recently transitioned from one classroom to another at her pre-school, and there were definitely some side effects. It was the right move for her, and the pre-school handled it well - she was moved with a group of other kids from her original classroom, and they spent a whole week gradually transitioning them to the new classroom - but Elfe regressed in a lot of ways and needed to be babied a little more during the transition. I don't think I would try to move her to another school at this point, even though it's something I've considered for various unbloggable reasons.
Sorry this got so long! Good luck with your decision!
We need to get together soon and chat. You've brought up some really great stuff on your blog recently. Lots of food for thought.
Are you guys around this coming weekend?
By the way - Holly changed daycares several times til we found the right place and she is doing pretty well now. If Holly can make a change - I think Almi will be fine. Check the place out when it is done and see what you think.
Wow, you have so much to think through, I will definetly be praying for you and your lil one.
I can understand your concerns and I agree that the parenting thing is hard but I have a question. What would you do differently if you determined that she was not attached? I would think you could do those things and even if she is attached, it can't hurt. I got my son when he was 2 1/2 and have had him for almost 2 years. He's attached. I work full time and have changed his daycare once and he is thriving. I know what you mean about considering her background in every decision. I have to remember that God has known my son his whole life even if I haven't and God loves him more than I do. Just do your best and let God help you. I'm sorry I don't have a blog so if you want to respond you'll have to comment back. I'll check back.
@liz, yes i did kind of look at it as something to check off. i.e., if she's attached i wouldn't have to worry about RAD or other issues so from that perspective it does seem to be something to attain if you will. and some of the things i did to promote attachment i wouldn't want to do long term - i.e., co-sleeping, taking baths together, feeding her, etc. that said, i will continue to do the other things that good parents do like playing with my child.
@melia, when i stress out about things i take a moment to pray about it and ask for guidance. you are right--we are not doing this alone.
i'll make my decision soon and blog about it - of course. lol
thanks for your thoughts, prayers, concern, advice!
Have you read Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child by Patty Cogen?
I'm reading it now and wish I would have read it before bringing Xavier home.
We've been home 11mos and thought all was going well until the hitting, biting, rages started.
We saw an attachment specialist and she thinks he is attached/attaching but recommended the book. It has been quite helpful.
Lorie-mummy to Xavier 20mos
lorie, yes i have that book but haven't read it. must get to it..thanks!
I think if you had a bio child it might not help to compare them anyway as each individual is so very different. Q had behaviors that were not 'typical.' I'm pretty sure I won't be able to compare our youngest adopted child with our bio child. I think attachment is a life long process as they develop. I think emotionally it's extemely likely that she doesn't yet feel that you'll stay 'forever.' She understands not-forever, better than I ever will.
Regarding the daycare, I think switching her may throw her off a bit but if it's the better place it might just be worth it. The fact that you will be the consistent presence and that you'll be just down the hall...
Yes, parenting is very very very hard! I think you're right to always look at her behavior keeping her background in mind.
There is no perfect in any case but there is thoughtful and doing your best and you seem to be right there. Great job mama!!
I think if your gut is telling you that she'll handle the switch, then she'll likely handle the switch. I know my daughter (4 TODAY and home 3 years, 2months) has struggled with separation and attachment issues from the moment of her adoption. It's been mostly a steady, forward progression toward improvement, but with little dips along the way and some big jumps up too. When I've had to make the tough decisions on daycare and preschool, I've agonized over what would be best. I do have to always take into account her adoptive and emotional/psychological history when making these choices. It definitely adds another factor to the mix of pros and cons. I got good advice from a social worker (who specializes in adoption) as I agonized over the decision for this September. She said she could see that there was no clear right choice when all my pros and cons were out there. She told me that as soon as the decision was made, I would throw myself into doing whatever it took to make it work for my daughter. And she was right. Once you have a decision and a focus, you can put your energies into finding ways to make it work. I'm not sure if that helps you, but it did help me.
Stefanie, mom to Tiana, the birthday girl. :)
What a terrific post - you've brought up a lot of things I've been considering re: attachment. I have a blog post in draft form about it.
Thanks for all the food for thought. You seem to have great instincts with Almi.
thanks all for your advice. i am leaning towards switching her. stef's comment about throwing myself into it to make it work helps a lot. i am sure if i am displeased about it. others will be too and we can help shape and mold it to the type of place where we would want our children to attend.
i will be making the decision in the next few days! i'll keep you posted!
Post a Comment