7.19.2010

Discipline

If you recall, this year instead of making resolutions, I chose to focus on a word and set my goals and create change based on that word. I chose the word discipline. As it's about halfway through the year, it is high time to revisit things and see how I've fared.

Well, to be honest, not that well. Mainly because I completely forgot about it! In fact, I knew my word wasn't authenticity but I couldn't remember what word I had chosen. Professionally I am still completely inauthentic, but personally I am doing pretty well. But that's not my word. My word is discipline and disciplined I am not. Yeah, I've lost ten pounds, found a better job, spend less money, started a basement renovation project, etc. but that had little to do with my own discipline. It's called having a child. Having a kid forced me to become disciplined in ways I couldn't have imagined and I find myself making better choices and being more productive than ever because I know my time is limited and, well, because you just have to. However, there are still two areas where I need to be disciplined:

* my health (so I have the energy to enjoy life more)
* organization (so my limited time is better spent)

In actuality, I could be more disciplined about ten other things but these are the two I am focusing on for the rest of 2010. Now check out some photos of my basement. Oy vey! They are down there now drilling away. I can't wait to show you the finished product!

Someone was underfoot while I was moving things out of the workers' way so I had to put her in the ERGO. She loved being in it so we ended up going for a walk afterwards. An hour walk with an extra 33 pounds in high heat and humidity is no joke!

Wow! I can't believe this big project I'm having done. I feel so grown up!

That's a lot of mess! (I look huge here... please just focus on the baby)

While eating lunch the loud noises got scary and my pumpkin needed out of the highchair and into mama's arms!


Putting baby in the carrier. :)

3 comments:

Eve said...

Wow, what a huge project you have going on in your basement. You made me laugh when you said you now feel grown up :D I get like that at times when I see my bills.

Hope it all goes well down there!

Melissa said...

I totally agree that having a child is the biggest motivator for self-discipline. When I had Jonah, there was reason to eat healthier, talk kinder and prioritize (because you just can't get it all done!). Regardless of the reason for your discipline, be proud that you are becoming better at it.

Anonymous said...

overwhelming! awesome! exciting! M