7.22.2010

Being an AP

There are some curious things I have discovered about adoption and becoming a parent after 40 and trading in my fun single gal life for one of diapers and sippy cups. One is that no matter how prepared you think you are, you will be caught off guard by the things people say and do. If you are in the adoption process these tidbits may help prepare you and you may be better able to handle your responses than I was:

1. You can't complain. Oh no, don't complain about being tired or overextended or short on cash or overwhelmed because, uh, you asked for this. Somehow being a parent to a biological child earns you the right to say you're tired or stressed but when you adopt somehow that disappears and instead is viewed as weakness or ingratitude. One of my childless neighbors was heading out to a party on a Friday night and I wistfully said something about what a nice thing to do on a warm summer evening (as opposed to changing my 857th diarrhea-filled diaper) and my comment was met with something to the effect of 'Well, you created this life so deal with it.' Hmmm... ok. Yes, in fact I did. And I wouldn't trade my daughter in for a guaranteed Friday night party every night for a year, but considering I have only been out three times in almost five months means that well, dammit, I miss adult company and cocktails. Of course some people don't mind hearing complaints and will be supportive, but trust me on this.. the vast majority probably don't want to hear it.


2. You may not get a baby shower. I didn't. I have good friends and a loving, supportive family and they mentioned throwing me one but I never got a baby shower from friends or family. My job threw me one which was really, really nice but it did sting that no one close to me did. I think with a pregnancy everyone knows the arrival date and age of the child so it makes planning a shower a lot easier. They know they have until X date to get it done. With an adoption there is no definitive end date on the calendar so they think there will always be time and then suddenly you are a parent and it's out of their minds.

3. You will get a lot of unsolicited opinions and questions and comments. I have heard an earful and I didn't do a special needs adoption, adopt transracially, adopt out of birth order or adopt siblings. I know these groups of people probably get way more comments and opinions than I do but I still get comments all. the. time. Some don't bother me because I have said or thought some of those same things before I adopted. Others are valid. Some cut to the bone.

* How much did you pay for her?
* Why did her parents give her up?
* How do you know she was really relinquished ethically?
* Why didn't you just adopt right here in DC?
* You should adopt a baby to avoid (insert ailment, attachment issue, personality trait here)
* Why doesn't she talk as much as other kids her age?
* Couldn't you have biological children?
* Why didn't you get married and have kids? ...often followed by: What's wrong with you?
* She is so lucky.
* Why would I adopt when I can have my own?
* I'm not a fan of adoption.
* No one will date you with a child.
* Are you going to tell her she is adopted?
* Do you love her?

4. When you first become a parent, a lot people will disappear. Maybe they are giving you time to bond, maybe they think you don't want company or don't think you can get out, maybe they don't understand you in this new role, maybe they don't like/know how to relate to kids. You can't really blame them when they were used to you being like this:

I used to be fun, the life of the party, up for anything and people were used to that. Expect to feel rejected or lonely at first until people can wrap their minds around you now being a parent and forgive them for taking the time they need to figure out how to now relate to you.


5. You will be warmed by the kind things people say.
* Your daughter will be a blessing to you. Adoption is such a blessing and, yes, it may be hard now but you will be blessed beyond measure in your life together.
* You take care of your daughter now and raise her right as I know you are and she will be with you forever.
* You may not share biology but your child will share your likes and dislikes, your personality, you mannerisms, your beliefs, etc. and those things are just as important in bonding with your child as eye color.
* I am absolutely in love with your daughter!!
* You are a great mom.
* You two have a great bond.
* She is so happy. Good job!


6. People will do things to surprise you.
* offer great advice
* offer to babysit
* send gifts in the mail (even strangers!)
* offer to clean your house
* be a shoulder to cry on or allow you to complain
* prepare dishes of food
* pray for you and your child

Getting into a new role in life takes getting used to, not just for the one who assumed the new role but also for those around him or her. My road to single parenting was full of twists and turns and bumps and even after she arrived there were many rocky times as we adjusted to the newness of it all. Thanks to all of you who helped make it easier for me and to all of you who are making it easier for other new adoptive parents out there! Although we may be too tired to tell you, we appreciate it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen, amen, AMEN! So true.

kn said...

OK. Wow. This is an amazing post. Eye opening for me.

You didn't get a shower? Now, I would probably be guilty of this too - so I'm not saying I would have done better than your friends who I know love you but I want to thank you so much for saying that because seriously I need to reach out to my friends and make sure that I'm the support for them that I can be.

Complaining: I got that too when I was pregnant with Quinn and then when he was an infant. I don't think it's adoption specific - I think some people can be selfish and unkind. I do wonder if it's older parents more than younger though...I was older...very...so maybe that was it.

The last comment was the worst one for me to read: Do you love her? WTF?????????

Some of your friends may be very jealous and will come around later. Some may be jealous and not come around. When I got pregnant a very close friend told me she felt that way. I felt blessed that she told me. Little did I know she would pull herself out of our lives. It makes me sad but I get it too I suppose. It does seem unfair that not everyone who would make a truly great parent is able to parent a child.

Lastly, I'm so happy I know you. I love your honesty. I love your thoughtfulness. I love, even as your life looks so beautiful (you two make such a gorgeous pair!) you are not afraid of discussing the yucky parts of life.

You go mama! You are such a wonderful role model for your girl!

veggiemom said...

I think you've pretty much summed it up. You've made it through the toughest times already. And the older the little ones get, the more fun they are. You have good times coming!!!

Jennifer said...

Well said! All of it. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

oh yes... you have nailed it... especially #1 and #2. And it's not like I wanted the "stuff" from a shower, I just wanted the excitement and acknowledgment. Ah well.

Bennett said...

OMG........I wish I could take this post and post it some where for all my friends and family to read. You know Laura you summed it up so well, things I had floating in my head but was just to afraid to pay attention....things do change, and ur relationships w/folks change forever, especially if you have had a chance to live and explore life w/o children.

wow!!! thank you so much for this post!!!!!!!

one + one said...

Well, you really hit the nail on the head here, didn't you? Couldn't have said it better. I have all at once been amazed at the kindness and generosity, and the brashness and dissympathy in those close to me and literal strangers who now feel like the kid on my hip gives them a right to get out their 'stuff'. Ugh. I just try to focus on the positive stuff and remain confident in and grateful for this decision and the special little one who is now in my life.

Mama of 5 said...

I cringe about those annoying adoption comments!!! I hate them. As a mom of 5 I too feel the "I can't complain or vent" since I chose this life. Of course I love it but sometimes it's hard. You and your sweet girl are just the sweetest! You are a great mom and doing a terrific job!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

So very heartful as well as wise and warm. We need to plan a celebration in ol' home town --some folks are waiting.

Angela said...

I think the response "You asked for it" is such a twist with a knife. I don't think people realize how insensitive their comments are. What's the difference in you adopting a child and someone having a child biologically? Parenting as a whole carries stress, hardwork, and sacrafice and you deserve support.

hazel said...

I'm just going to add to habeshachild's comment: AMEN!