3.25.2010

What Would You Do?

Before I left for Addis I was very stressed about some things going on in my life. I have mentioned some of those on this blog but there were other reasons, too. Let's just say I had enough for me to request a full on stress test and EKG before I got on the plane. My regular doctor is actually a cardiologist so he ordered up all the tests. For the most part they came back normal-- except for one area which I can't articulate with any knowledge so I won't even try. Basically, what was important was he cleared me for travel and told me not to worry. So I didn't.

These past three weeks my stress level has increased considerably. I am happier and I laugh more than I have in a long, long time and have my little pumpkin to thank for that. I am also more active--not nearly to the level that I should be, but it's a start. The reality is though that all the things that were stressing me out before are still there --plus the added stress of parenting--but now I have less time and energy to devote to solving them. I also don't have time to think about what's not getting done so I don't seem to be upset about it on a daily basis like I was before but apparently my body knows. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for today mainly because he wanted to meet my daughter. I went not expecting to have anything done but they did the normal basic things like height, weight, drew blood for some tests and took my blood pressure. Two surprising things were discovered:

1. I have lost eight pounds and
2. My blood pressure has gone up TWENTY points

I knew I lost weight in Addis but I have lost even more since being home. But the blood pressure?! Scary stuff! The nurse did it once and then he repeated it twice. On his last try it only showed a spike of ten points but I am going with twenty (though even ten points in a month would be huge). To put it mildly, I am horrified. Hypertension is common in my family but my blood pressure has always been low. We even spoke of this in my last appointment. He said I should expect it to increase in the next decade since most people in my family have it. I wasn't expecting it to be high one month later. I basically went from having low blood pressure to having high blood pressure in a month! High. Not something to watch because it's approaching a high number, but it is already high.

All three of us were shocked. The nurse muttered something about it under her breath but said the doctor would repeat it. He repeated it and was shocked. He suggested I make an appointment in two weeks to see if it's still high. I am supposed to be going back to work in two weeks. In fact, the day they tried to give me an appointment was supposed to be my first day back (and my baby shower). I told them I couldn't make it on that day. But now I am having enormous second thoughts. Of course Google doesn't help, but it is very scary to read symptoms you have online. Clearly I need to take immediate action. I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can still get that April 6th appointment. I am also going to start exercising immediately.Right before the appointment I picked up the part needed to add to my recalled McClaren stroller to make it safe. I am going to install it tomorrow and start taking long walks each day. And, damn, I guess I need to give up all that delicious coffee I bought in Addis.

This is interesting: he also said he could write a note to my job saying he needed to monitor me over the next six+ weeks and that I should not return to work during that time. When I rejected the April 6th appointment I suppose in my head I was planning on returning to work on time but as I type this post I am thinking maybe I need to stay home. My little girl needs me to be in top physical condition. I'm all she has so my health needs to be my #1 priority. I guess I wasn't sure if staying home would help to reduce my stress but at least I won't be worrying about her. Truthfully, I think she will love day care. She seems so happy when around other kids but I worry a lot about our attachment. She is becoming more attached but it's not where I would like it to be and I wonder how not seeing me for ten hours a day will affect it? That gives me a lot of stress and daily worry. If I stayed home, that one worry would be eliminated. I could also be sure to exercise daily (once she is attached I can resume going to the gym and drop her in the gym daycare). I'm so conflicted about what to do. One possible plus is I might be able to get paid since I would now be staying home for medical reasons. But perhaps going back to work will make things more normal again? If you were me would you take the note and stay home?

14 comments:

StefB said...

Oh yes -- take the note and stay home. I can't imagine the circumstances under which extra attachment time could be a bad choice. I understand that is just a perk of the true purpose for staying home, but I also can't convey to you how stressful it can be to leave a newly adopted child in someone else's care (at least for me). I can relate to your post for many reasons, and I would definitely take the time if I could.

Stefanie

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! Somebody upstairs is looking out for you. Take the doctor's note, find some time for yourself, save the money you would be spending in daycare, spend more time getting to know your daughter, and get your bp under control. High bp is nothing to fool around with. Do you have enough sick leave to cover 6 weeks or is there a sick leave bank or short term disability plan? If so, you can get paid and get well. For now, this way of life is normal.--J9

Jennifer said...

Stay home!!!! Take care of yourself and your daughter. That is way more important than getting back to work (at least in my opinion.)

Long Journey Big Dreams said...

Stay home for sure! Take the time to take care of yourself and continue to build the attachment.

Melissa said...

TAKE THE NOTE!

As I read this I can recall your frustration about not having more time to spend to with your baby. Here you go, take it. You never know when you may be able to take this time again. Plus when you're at your best for your baby, then she will be able to achieve her best. One of my biggest regrets as a new mom is not taking full advantage of my maternity leave, I was so anxious to get back to work. Now, if I had it to do all over again I would have valued every moment because with work and all the other factors in life I have little time to spend with my daughter to be the mom I want to be. I have to settle to be the mom I can be and pray it's more than enough. Seize the Day!

Melissa said...

Absolutely, I would take the note! If you can afford it, I'd do it. Get healthy, spend more time with your girl. It's a good thing. And don't worry about attachment not being where you want it. It really been a short time. Attachment (even with bio children) usually takes 6-12 months. And even though the US has ridiculously short parental leaves, you don't have an entire nation of mal-attached individuals. Naomi will be fine either way, but it's not like you will have the extra time whenever you want it. You may only get one shot at extra time home with your girl. If I had the option (even with my almost 5-year-old) I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Hoping you are back to your normal low-pressure self soon

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

By all means take the Doctors note! The longer you stay home with your girl the better for the both of you.

InventingLiz said...

Okay, just to play devil's advocate...I think my stress level actually went down when I went back to work! Being the one and only source of entertainment for a super-active toddler was hard on me, and hard on her too, I think. We are much better together now that I'm back at work and we have a break from each other! But I don't have to leave her for 10 hours, her pre-school is really close to where I work so it's more like 8 hours per day - still a lot, but the pre-school I chose has turned out to be fantastic and I don't worry about her during the day!

Jebena said...

Here, give me the note--I'll take it to your place of employment for you!

one + one said...

I think I would take this as a big, fat blessing. You have medical advice (and orders!) to stay home, de-stress, take care of yourself and get to know your new babe even better.

This is an incredible blessing!

When I was trying to figure out how much time to take off after LIttle B comes home, I asked one of my co-workers who has a bio one year old. Her advice to me: "You will NEVER regret taking the most time off possible. These are days you can never get back."

12 weeks FMLA, here I come! :)

Anonymous said...

Take the note!!!! This is coming from a mom who returned to work a couple of weeks ago after being on FMLA for 12 weeks with my son. Take as much time as you can possible take, because you may not get the opportunity to get paid for it later. Take the note, do it for your daughter, do it for your health, do it for me, I’m going through withdrawals.

Freda

Anonymous said...

I had the whole cardiac work up prior to my trip as well.

Freda

hazel said...

I say take the note too. I don't know exactly what's going on in your home every day, and I understand what Liz is saying, but from what I can see I think the benefits of staying home outweigh the negatives. As others have said, it's a blessing and you probably won't get the chance again.

Anonymous said...

You will never regret more time with her!