3.11.2010

Attachment

When Naomi first met me it took her quite awhile to warm up to me. Though she didn't cry much, she wasn't giving me any eye contact. She'd take a quick glance at me from time to time but that first day she didn't hold her gaze. It wasn't for a couple of days that she would look at me for more than a few seconds. I read that maintaining eye contact was one good way to form attachment and since she loves to eat I decided to try to incorporate the two. I figured since she followed the spoon when eating that if I put it close to my eyes she would look at me. I started this on the second day home and I think it has helped tremendously with our attachment.

Here is a video of me feeding her this way. How cute is this??



Other things I have been doing are baby wearing, co-sleeping and doing all of the feeding/changing/bathing.

I bought an ERGO and she gets into it but doesn't like to be in for more than about an hour. My plan before I brought her home was to wear her for 5 hours a day. Ha! Yeah, no. First of all, she's heavy--about 24 pounds. But I would suck it up if she'd let me but she starts to complain after about an hour. I can put her in it to do some things around the house or if I have to walk somewhere but not for as long as I had hoped. Still, I think she does feel safe inside it:We have also been sleeping together since attachment can build during the night. I didn't want her to sleep alone anyways since she never has. Even though I am having her crib set up this weekend it will be my room. I only have another month off and want to get as attached as possible. Maybe I will have her sleep in her own room when I am ready to go back to work; maybe not. Not sure at this point. Here we are in Ethiopia. I was exhausted! I am getting more sleep now than I was there.. it's not so bad. The other thing I am doing is being responsible for all of her needs so she can learn who momma is and who to go to for comfort and care. It's exhausting, but important. I do all the bathing, feeding (when she'll allow me to), diaper changes, etc. Of course, I am the only one here now but even when friends and family are around I take care of everything. Here are some shots of us in Ethiopia, including her first (and only) bath there-- the water was so cold in our guesthouse!I'd like to say my efforts are paying off. It seems that way to me anyways. She is giving me more eye contact and comes to me when scared or tired. I was complaining to my cousin that she goes to him for laughs and playtime and to me when she's cranky and crying but now that it's just the two of us, I get both. She has definitely turned a corner since meeting her in Ethiopia last week. I get real laughter and I can see trust developing. When she wakes up from her nap I find her sitting up in bed waiting patiently for me and not crying --she must trust I am nearby. She can also now let me out of her sight for a few moments as well. Baby steps. We're coming along.

Check out these pics of my smiley girl from tonight when we were playing around after bathtime. (excuse the snotty nose.. I can't wipe it enough!)

16 comments:

I's mom said...

Aaaahhhh!!! makes me want my little one. She is so adorable. You post also reminds me while we get all this joy there is some work involved - but in the end it's worth it.

Robynhood said...

I LOVE that smile!! What a sweetheart she is. Oh Laura, your daughter is just beautiful, runny nose and all :)
Let me know how things are going,

hugs to you both R & A

Shelby said...

She is so beautiful, even with a runny nose.

one + one said...

So glad to read of the progress you two are making in attachment. What a gorgeous girl!

Tami said...

Cute!!!!!!! She is getting full of life now that she is home. I hope to get by this weekend to see you both.

Jennifer said...

Love those last 2 pics. Sounds like things are going well.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see a smile on both of your faces and that all is well with your family.

Blessings
Sen

InventingLiz said...

Sounds like you're doing great! I have an Ergo and have not used it yet, but am feeling like I need to now to strengthen our attachment...

Adopting1Soon said...

Aww... what a beautiful smile! She is sparkly with joy in those pictures! I can't wait to meet her, hopefully some time this year.

It sounds like you are doing a phenomenal job with the attachment! You must be totally exhausted, I know how debilitating and stressful, even when things are going well, this can be. keep up the good work and don't forget to get some "me" time. Somehow.

Mama of 5 said...

You are doing a great job! What a beautiful family. I love all the photos.
Becky

Shauna said...

She is beautiful! Seems like you guys are doing perfectly... Enjoy!

Jebena said...

Ahhhhhhh (smiling) Gobetz, gobetz Momma!

Gobetz: Amharic for "good job!"

hazel said...

It sounds like everything is coming along just right! I love these pictures, and I had to rewatch the video, it was so funny.

Can you please ask your cousin to send me a copy of our picture with the girls?

Rachael said...

Oh, I love her so, runny nose and all! She is TOO CUTE!!! And I mean it for real, not just being polite like we talked about at Almaz :)

I hear ya on the solid toddler girls- R was 26 lbs when she came home and screamed when I tried to put her in the Ergo. She loved her sling, though, and would stay in it for hours. My shoulder still hasn't recovered from the strain of carrying her in it :)

Jennifer said...

Your little girl is beautiful! I'm glad everything is going so well.

Gracie's Mom said...

Ohhhhh just look at that face, so beautiful and that big happy smile just too much!