I went in to talk to my principal today about leave. I figured that since I could be going on leave in as soon as a month (wait! seriously?! i just realized that! OMG!!) I better let her know. She asked me how long I plan on being out. I told her I would like to take off two months but since it's unpaid I wasn't sure I could afford it. I reminded her that adoptive parents get NO paid leave. It made me incensed all over again. (WTH?! So wrong! But I digress...) She said, "Oh, so have you saved up to make that feasible?" For shock value I responded, "No, I'll be eating tuna fish." But then I told her that I had saved up but that even if I hadn't, I would take off and deal with it because bonding with this child is more important than my savings account. I am reminded at how clueless companies are when it comes to adoption. Bio parents get 6-8 weeks paid to "heal" yet adoptive parents get nothing even though we may have sick children we are picking up, we may get sick on the trip, adopted kids/parents may suffer from PTSD, depression, have RAD to deal with, etc. and bonding must take place. I know I'd rather deplete my savings account to aid in the bonding process if it means a better future for my daughter and our family --but it shouldn't have to be that way. It's not fair. Yeah, life's not fair but I am still angry about it.
I did find out this one nice piece of news, though. I do not have to leave sub plans for the entire absence! My principal said to just leave enough for one week and what my long range goals are and then just plan to check in with my sub from time to time to see if she needs anything. That is such a relief! I am going to call my top three choices tomorrow to see if any of them are interested and available at the end of February/beginning of March. She also suggested that I check into an alternative work schedule when I come back like four days on/one day off if FMLA will allow it. I seem to remember that FMLA didn't have to be consecutive. That would be ideal.
Wow, I can't believe how close this is! Reality is setting in. I have sooo much still to do! I think I need to take off a couple of days to go up to personnel to set up leave and insurance and to work on my TO DO list. Friday there is an Open House at a really great daycare/school. I don't know if they even have fall openings, but if so I would love for my child to attend. I also need to have some doctor's appts. before she arrives. No more pussy-footing around!!
1.11.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
EXCITTING!!! I KNOW HOW CRAZY IT SEEMS TO KNOW IT IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER BUT IT IS EVEN MORE CRAZIER TO KNOW THAT THIS JOURNEY IS COMING TO AN END!!!! BEST OF LUCK!
CELESTE
you ARE so close and i'm so excited!
the unpaid thing is unethical wrong unjust.
but it's not on their page. we have to get it there. i know for all of us there is so much going on but maybe if we contact ALL of the adoption groups out there. like i'm starting a VERY small in our town and all contact our churches and get them to back us but we need a well written adoption 101. i truly believe we can change this. i do. it needs a plan. do you know the this blog http://wanderingoutside.blogspot.com/
what she just wrote for family and friends about when she comes home with her child. it would be a very excellent place to start - i think it's really great. maybe we can start collecting little vignettes and make a book.
really people are so compassionate i know they are but they just don't get it. they figure - oh you didn't have to push that baby out so..well i didn't push Q out the made a nice little slit and then they sent me home on a bunch of drugs. easy.
where's the epidural for adoption. where's the valium. where's the family leave.
we can change this.
ok rant over
i'm so excited for you!!!!
I would second the alternate work schedule suggestion (and it was kind of her to mention it). I eased back into work--and I only took a month plus 2 weeks in ET, and still I needed that segue time. I'd also STrongLY encourage you to take a few days (if not more) where she's in daycare and you are not at work. You will be amazed how badly you will need a day or more to just get your life together without her (go to the bank, the store, unpack from the trip....they seem like simple things but they are SO hard with a little one, I found just getting my life back reasonably together before going back to work really helped my mental state.
I feel very lucky that I am able to use accumulated sick and vacation time for my maternity leave, our personnel policies treat adopted children the same as bio kids in that regard.
I have heard of another mother successfully arguing to her company that since they allow parents to use sick time when their kids are home sick or have doctor appointments, she should be able to use sick time to care for her adopted child in the beginning. As Kristine says, most people just don't get what's involved in adoption and feel like their hands are tied by personnel policies, but we can help them see that the policies already allow for situations that are similar to adoption.
WOW!
In Québec where I live, adoptive parents have the right to 37 weeks of paid maternity leave, by LAW!!!
(fwiw, bio parents are given 52 weeks= either by one parent, or split between two. paid)
Yep - I've been using sporadic FMLA and its been great. And DC gets 16 weeks FMLA rather than 12 - which is also good news.
I have to pipe in on Caro and say that Quebec is not representative of the rest of Canada. They get a way better deal, and good on them. But, although we are not legally entitled to the same benefits as birth parents, at least we qualify for unemployment insurance for awhile, even if our employers don't top up. Anyway, enough about the $$$ - go get that child!
Post a Comment