1.24.2010

NYC

I took a quick trip to NY this weekend to check out a Broadway play. Fela! was playing at the Eugene O'Neil Theatre. I read a review of it in the NY Times over Christmas and thought it sounded fantastic. Yesterday was showtime so I drove up. I love NYC!

The drive wasn't bad (though the $50 in tolls about killed me! What's up with that?) In tolls alone I paid more than the $36 bus would have been--not to mention gas, wear and tear on my car, and the fact I couldn't sleep or be productive on the trip up. Definitely won't drive next time. But it was so worth it. What an amazing performance! After the play we went to grab a drink. I look straight up Ethiopian in this picture. Don'tcha think?!

I love how NYC makes me feel so alive! I feel like I am living on the pulse of American life. I love how the clubs don't get going til after midnight and you can order sushi at 3 in the morning if you feel like it. I love how you can walk and walk and walk and still be in a commercial area with shops and restaurants. I love how you will never be able to eat in all the restaurants or have a drink in all the bars. I love how beautiful and unique the people are and how incredibly diverse it is. I love the brownstones and the shopping and the artsy scene. I just love NY! Man, if I could get a job there making six figures I'd move back in a heartbeat! It may not be the best city in the world to raise a child, but I still hope I can live there again one day...



12 comments:

Bennett said...

I know that feeling! I live in NJ, and use to live maybe 15mins from the city, now I am a good hour to 1.5 hrs away, and miss the lights, sounds, and smells of the city. Well, anyway, maybe I need to catch a show before the girls come! Well, I am thinking and praying for you, while we sleep tonight, your case is going to be heard in ET. So exciting!!!! I will be praying for you!

Jennifer said...

Wow I totally hear you about NYC making you feel alive. I soooo miss that now that I have a child. I'm hoping my parents can babysit this spring and I can get up there for an evening.

kn said...

I'm going to try to be nice and polite about this...but ...

you did not call me!!!

OK, just kidding.

Q and I were just in Harlem on Saturday...but anyway.
we saw only two or three dances by the fela performers a couple weeks ago and i would love to go. what do you think about taking a seven year old?

I'm happy you had a great time! Happy you got to go to Fela and yeah next time no driving!

Anonymous said...

I love NYC. :)
I don't have a six figure salary (maybe $6.00) but I will be moving there in April. I can't wait...
Good Luck and Blessing with court.

Sen

Single PAP said...

@Bennett and Jennifer - great idea! let me know when if either of you want to get together in nyc!!

@ kristine- i would have loved to have met you and Q. let's try to make that happen next time!

@ Sen - what will you be doing there? where are you going to live? i am sooo envious that you are moving there.. let me know how you are making that happen under six figures!

sko3 said...

I live an hour and a bit away from NYC in CT. I am completely jealous about Fela. I want to see it. But I'm thinking probably not with my 3 year old. That's one of the few things that I miss---getting to go see shows when I wanted to. It won't be long, though, until I can either take her or leave her with a babysitter (without hyperventilating).

And you look WAY Ethiopian in that picture. I saw the pic before reading the post and had to do a quick "wait a second..."I hadn't remember you to be of ET descent, but maybe you hadn't mentioned it!

Single PAP said...

oh, and yes, take Q. i don't know him but it's high energy.. i think he would enjoy it.

and sko3, i'm trying to figure out what age i can start taking my little one as well. i'm thinking age 4. so that's soon for you.

InventingLiz said...

Hey, I was in NY this weekend too, introducing Elfe to family - I'm originally from Brooklyn! Oops, I didn't call Kristine either...

Anonymous said...

@ Sen - what will you be doing there? where are you going to live? i am sooo envious that you are moving there.. let me know how you are making that happen under six figures!

Laura-I hope you don't mind but I emailed you my response.

Sen

Single PAP said...

i'm confused about that last comment... are there two Sens? i, too, want to know how it'll be done under six figures and i want to know who emailed me what!! i'm confused!!

Anonymous said...

Laura-
I'm sorry for the confusion. There is only (1) Sen and I sent you the email. I just copied your response to my original statment.

Sen

Single PAP said...

where did you email me?