1.16.2010

Each New Day Brings Possibilities!

I had a really shitty week. Well, it started out that way anyway.

Work stuff.
Man stuff.
Personal stuff.
World stuff.

I cried.

A lot.

But as the week progressed, it got better. Through conversation and corroboration; realization and cessation; confrontation and determination; information and donations... my tears stopped.

Although I often feel alone, I really am not. I am surrounded by love and support. Sometimes those of us who live alone-- sole breadwinners forced to take care of everything by ourselves--sometimes we feel overwhelmed. Sometimes we forget that there are people who want to support us. Being 100% responsible for everything can get overwhelming for me at times but then I am reminded that there are a lot of people who care, who love me and who love my daughter.

This week, along with the stress of my life, I was also overwhelmed by the outpouring of support I received from friends and acquaintances --most of whom didn't even realize I was having a rough week. I got wisdom and support from friends. Some with thoughtful conversation, another in cards. Two people I just met last week reached out in unexpected ways: one, an adoptive parent herself, alerted me to resources in the community for adoptive parents; another, with his children grown and living on their own, said he'd be available to be part of my village if I needed him. In addition to all that, several people gave gifts --diapers, a changing pad, clothing and a lovely, decorated canister where I can store notes I write to my daughter. I also got word that people from my agency will be traveling to Ethiopia soon. One will take photos of my girl and the other will bring her gifts. Almost all of the people who reached out to me this week I barely know and several I have never met! It's a nice reminder that I am meeting people all the time--through work, volunteering, the internet, through friends, etc. --and you never really know why that person has been brought into your life or how they are going to affect you.

Each new day is the possibility for something wonderful and new. I love that!


3 comments:

InventingLiz said...

I SO know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed by being solely responsible for stuff. Glad you got the support you needed this week!

hazel said...

What would we do without our villages? I'm glad your week ended well.

The canister is a wonderful idea.

kn said...

I'm not exactly sure why but tears came to my eyes as i read this

we do this don't we - think it's all up to us?

i'm so happy that you felt the love this week especially during a difficult one

i love the tin and the very idea of the tin!
and the clothes.

thanks for writing this - it made me remember that i need to reach out too.