My school district doesn't have any benefits for adoptive parents. No financial adoption assistance and no paid leave. I am in the midst of constructing a letter to them to see if I can be instrumental in facilitating change.
Currently, biological parents are provided significant benefits including full coverage of medical expenses associated with the birth. In my research, hospital fees from a normal birth average about $10,000. Multiples or complications add to the expense, of course. Adoptions are rarely $10,000. I'd guess that $20,000 was more the average, yet parents who choose to form their families through adoption get no financial assistance at all.
In addition, after the delivery, biological mothers get six weeks paid leave for a vaginal birth and eight for a cesarean. Adoptive parents get no paid leave. None. Biological mothers get paid leave because it's deemed a "medical condition" and a necessary time needed to heal. There is no consideration about what healing adoptive parents or children might need.
Adoptive parents can suffer from post adoptive depression--much like postpartum depression-- causing emotional suffering and distress. And both the parent and the child need time to attach. Not sufficiently attaching can cause future problems for the child in socializing and how the child reacts to a situation. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the topic, but I am pretty confident that not attaching properly would fall under the umbrella of a psychological condition--one that could potentially be lessened or avoided altogether if adoptive parents were given time to work on the bonding process. I have no idea how long that would take. I suppose it's different for every child and varies greatly based on age and where they spent their first months or years of life. Clearly, adoptive parents should be granted paid leave for this critical process. And if you throw in the fact that they will have already paid $20,000+ out of pocket for an international adoption, taking this necessary leave, and not being paid for any of it, is an additional financial hit--one we willingly take for the health of our child and family--but one that can present a challenge for many.
I am doing research on the topic and hope to mail a letter off to the human resources department this week. I am going to start with a simple one page letter highlighting just the key points of why it is needed and how it benefits my employer. If I don't hear anything back I plan to write a more detailed letter and send it out to HR and others above the HR department. I hope they will consider making changes to our benefits plan to include adoptive parents and it'd be great if I could benefit from the changes. But even if I can't this year or they choose to not make any changes, I can at least say I put in the effort for myself and all the other PAPs out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
we get nothing, as well. which is especially bizarre, since we OWN our health plan. (i.e. we hire the docs and everything) so the expenses of giving birth are quite obvious to the managers. Sigh.
Good luck with that. I actually plan on doing the same, but after I'm done adopting. I don't have time right now!
Go for it sister- this is a serious frustration for many a mother! My employer did the double whammy and actually took away my benefits because I took 4 weeks unpaid adoption leave. And I was told our health insurance company had an adoption benefit- since they didn't have to pay any birth/prenatal expenses. Then came to discover it was for newborn adoptions only- because apparently all orphans are not equal.
how can i help?
this is so important. are there any other adoptive parents in the school district? are there any adoptive parents on the school board or in the teachers union?
send an e-mail to me at tinany64@yahoo.com if i can do something
My school district also does not have adoption leave or benefits. I was told by my hr person that there was nothing I could do. I was planning to have my doctor write a me a leave of absence. Apparently a Dr. can do so for up to three months without an explanation. Luckily I made contact with a former employee who adopted and he told me that they did give him paid time off for his adoption. (He and his wife were both teachers in my school district). I spoke with my principal and she spoke with the asst. superintendent and he allowed me to use my sick time as long as I got a note from my Dr. for paperwork/union reasons. I imagine that this would be an issue your union would have to take up with the school district.
If you can't get your HR to work something out, find a Dr. that would be willing to take you out of work. Possibly your child's pediatrician.
Best of Luck!!
I
I'm sorry that you are in this situation. It is really unfair!! We do get leave here, but it is less time and less money than maternity leave and so really unfair. There are several people here who have challenged the inequality of this leave through the human rights coalition (me included) and yet we were shot down. My agency is currently encouraging all of its clients to send letters to their employers... I will be sending one to my school district. I will forward you a copy of the letter template my agency uses. Maybe there is something useful? Someone has to be the squeeky wheel that initiates change, you be the one Laura!!
:) Robyn
I fell into the same situation. It stinks. Good luck!!!
Good luck - I hope this works out. It is so critical. I can't believe companies are still in the stone age about this.
I love Christy's idea of a Dr LOA letter!!
I am very fortunate. My company reimburses 5K of my expenses, plus I get 37 weeks of unpaid parental leave (a Canadian policy, not my employer's). My company is international (HQ in the US). My Canada HR rep is checking to see if I can also get the 6wks PAID parental leave that my US counterparts get. Since they don't get the 37 weeks parental leave, I'm a little doubtful.
I think its horrible that these school districts don't have an adoption leave. Dont forget to check with your union and civic organizations for adoption assistace which would off set your cost and save you money to use when your Princess comes home.
If all fails then you may want to apply and take a full leave under stress or pos-partum illness which will pay at 100% sick benefit; just sit in the Dr office and let the tears flow.
If you need me to write a letter; just let me know.
Sen
most school systems provide insurance to cover the medical fees surrounded by giving birth. They do not provide actual assistance for parents. However, for all new parents you can get leave through the FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) So adoptive parents, mothers who want to take more than 6 weeks, and fathers can get time off to be with their children. All companies must provide FMLA leave as itis a federal law.
What a great idea!! I am planning on a visit to my HR office in the next few weeks to discuss some ideas!!
yes, i can get FMLA but it's all unpaid. there is no paid leave at all for APs whereas bio parents get 6 or 8 weeks paid plus FMLA. my point is, if my district pays $10,000+ to cover medical fees for bio parents and on top of that give 6-8 weeks paid time off --how come adoptive parents get NOTHING!? it's completely inequitable.
excellent argument to send to the authorities. VERY WELL STATED. Hope you have some success in your effort.
also: re fund raising... Lavender sachets?
hug from moi...
Post a Comment