7.08.2009

July update #1

My plan for July was to focus solely on health, organization and fundraising. It's time to embarrass myself into an action give an update.

1. Health. I have done nothing new here. I still eat whatever/whenever. As I was typing this I looked down at my thigh spread out across the computer chair and gasped in disgust. I have never been so fat and out of shape in my life. I told myself starting TOMORROW I will work out for at least an hour every day. Hell, I'm not working... I can't say I don't have time. What else? Oh, I made a doctor's appointment for my stupid foot injury. I thought it was better but after playing tennis last month it has hurt consistently. It is so frustrating because it even hurts to walk now which means no tennis this season. Makes me want to cry. Seriously. Which leads to why I am not working out and why I am getting so bloody fat (see side bar). So depressing!!!

2. Organizing. I have so much to do, it's overwhelming. Last week I started by rearranging furniture and touching up paint in a couple of rooms. Now that that is finished, there's the big job of actually organizing the space. I started with the closet. Even though it's been over 70 degrees for weeks now, I still hadn't found the time to pack up my winter clothes and put out the summer wardrobe. I started that task yesterday and in the meantime created a huge pile of clothes to consign (mostly things my fat thighs can't squeeze into -which fit perfectly last summer-sigh) and a pile of clothes to donate. Tomorrow I will finish the closet and fold and put away all remaining clothes. And then on to the next space-- the master bedroom.

3. Fundraising. I have not started this yet but it would be so great to make some extra money upgrade out of economy, to stay in a nicer place in Ethiopia and to help someone who might accompany me with their ticket. I have come up with some ideas. They are as follows:

* have a yard sale (with donations from friends&neighbors)
* create something to sell - candles, t-shirts, lip balm?
* tutor
* get a 2nd job somewhere with adoption credits, like Starbucks
* have a raffle
* have a silent auction
* sell stuff through consignment, Craig's List and/or eBay.

Does anyone have a great fundraising idea that either worked for you personally or you read about on a blog? Could you please send me the link?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

5 comments:

Adopting1Soon said...

No, I never got the flicker pics!

I see you are on our agengy yahoo group? They have lots of good info there.

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

Posting stuff I don't use anymore on Craigslist has really worked for me. I didn't do it as a fund raiser but I do it now and am shocked at how easy it is. I think I usually underprice my stuff cause I get way to many people calling who "can come over right now". But I don't care I just want to make a little money and get rid of the clutter.

Christie said...

omg - I LOVE Half.com. You can sell CD's, books, etc. and you set the price, there is no auction. It's just post it and sell it.

Getting rid of lots of books and CD's like quickfire!

Good luck - you can do it!

hazel said...

Man, I could have written most of this post for you - parts 1 and 2 anyway.

I wish I could give you some good advice to turn things around, but I'm in the same state as you. I CAN thank you for having the guts to blog about it all.

I will keep you in mind as I try to motivate my self to get stuff done. And I'll pass some positive vibes your way to get you going.

Jennifer said...

I hear you about not getting things done... I was home with Holly for months and planned to do some organizing... Didn't happen!!!

I think your fundraising ideas are good.